odometer and radio

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Jlc

odometer and radio

Post by Jlc »

I replaced the odometer gears and while I was at it decided to replace the 80's vintage Alpine radio with a new one. The speakers were the originals and pretty much shot so those had to go as well. I wound up putting Kickers in the foot wells as they fit well and the original grill went back on just fine so the whole setup looks stock.

The rears are another issue. I have a pair of Panasonics that just don't quite let the speaker cover shut, and I don't want to cut up the covers since they are in great shape after I reglued the back. I could possibly get enough space if I cut out some carpet but don't want to do that either. Crutchfield has a set that should fit and ZI may go with those and use the original ones until the new ones come. Anyone found any others that will fit in an 85 with the side mounted speakers?

As a side note, I reused the wires running to the back by running new wires for the front set and pluging into the fader plug. I replaced the fader plug with an e30 foglight switch and spliced the power antenna lead onto it. The antenna doesn't work so that's round 2; along with fixing the A/C resistor pack.
85 635CSi Bronzit
Jlc

Front Kick Panel Speakewr install

Post by Jlc »

I put a set of $50 Kicker 4x6 speakers in the front. They have a tweeter that is flush with the top of the speaker, unlike most which stick out 1/4 or so. This allowed me to reuse the original grills. I wound up putting them behind the carpet and cutting away the carpet where it covered the edges of the speaker. I followed the line left in the carpet from the original speakers to identify where to cut. The kickers fit snuggly but once it was all done it looks stock.

I repalced an 80's vintage Alpine with a new Kenwood unit so I'd have Bluetooth and could change the display colors to BMW orange. Not a killer system but I like it. I can't find speakers that fit the rear other than Retrogrades from Crutchfield so I'll get those to replace the originals. The Kicker's metal plate is just a tad too big and I don't want to try and cut it away. I'd replace the pods with a set of premium pods but can't find a set at a price I can justify since my pods have almost no manta ray mouth.

Speaker installed and carpet cut away:

Final look:

Kicker DSC-460
85 635CSi Bronzit
anchored

Re: odometer and radio

Post by anchored »

My speakers stuck out slightly. I ended up using the risers form the rear speakers on an e21. Which worked great until I put my glovebox back on and realized it didn't open without hitting it. I took a reckless risk and cut a notch out of the glovebox that was hitting it. You cant see it so I don't see it as a big deal but I could have done it all with just getting the right speaker for the setting.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi