It's begun...'87 635 (Now With Pics!)

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

juzza

Post by juzza »

86C, doing a wonderful job there, looking good, don't lose heart.

Talking of sills is there any problem in cutting out the welded-on drain-like attacments under the sill, where rust needs to be removed? Car isn't here just now but IIRC there are two per side at each end. about 3 or 4" long and have a bung recessed in the centre - any clues?
1986 Zinnober 635 CSi
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Juzza,

these things are (I think from your description) the infamous jacking points. If your 6er is like other UK ones these items should under no circumstances be used for jacking the car.

When they are new there is a steel tube pillar inside the sill that transfers the load across the many layers inside the sill. By the time the rot appears on the outside most or all of the pillar has generally rotted away.

Many owners resign themselves to a cosmetic repair here, and carry a different jack or load spreader so that a wheel can be changed. If you decide to do a proper repair here you will need to make a big hole in the sill if you want to weld at the top of the load tube.

86C- keep it up, I still have the jacking points to come and I'm working mostly outside!!!!

hth

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
86C

Post by 86C »

Still no work on the blue one, but the Highline has had a small bit of welding and should be back out on the road soon.
Managed to get hold of another unit to rent so the projects are safe for now 8)
Time is still limited though, dammit!
86C

Post by 86C »

Just a small update on this...

The car has gone to pastures new as I have too many projects and not enough hours in the day to complete them. A friend of mine has bought it and had the welding on the other sill completed. He's also a painter by trade so he'll carry out the repaint. Hoping to be back on the road in the new year.
I'll get pics when he's done 8)
MrtnEbb

Post by MrtnEbb »

Great to hear that the car went to another pair of good hands, instead of to the 'eternal pastures'! Remember this thread from a few years ago. Good work on saving a sixer!
86C

Post by 86C »

Just an update on this...

My friend who bought this off me completed the body repairs and gave it a full respray and it has since moved on again.
Meanwhile, I still have my Highline... :mrgreen:
86C

Re: It's begun...'87 635 (Now With Pics!)

Post by 86C »

Looks like it's just changed hands again, eBay item no 253201229008
Anyone on here bought it?
1989 BMW 635CSi Highline
1995 VW Corrado VR6 Storm
1994 VW Corrado VR6 (PD130 TDi project)
1971 VW Campervan
2005 VW Polo TDi Sport 130 Highline
1983 VW Polo C Classic
1981 VW Derby CLS G40
1972 VW 1302LS
1970 VW 1302S