It's begun...'87 635 (Now With Pics!)

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

86C

It's begun...'87 635 (Now With Pics!)

Post by 86C »

Well, yesterday afternoon, I tore into my 6er's sill section on the right hand side. Looks pretty grim in there, which I knew it would but it'll all be fine again with a little time, patience and a fair bit of panel fabrication.
Tonight, I have repaired the front of the floorpan and the inner sill just behind the front jacking point. Once I can upload pictures onto my PC, I'll put them on here for all to see :D
Last edited by 86C on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86C

Post by 86C »

Still ongoing...
It's just taken a bit of a backseat over the last 6 weeks due to a holiday and a bit of bodywork that needed doing to the other half's Passat along with a full leather interior install in that car too. At least someone's car is coming along nicely, just not mine! :x
The camera is in the back of the 6, 18 miles away from here. Must remember to bring it home at some point :roll:
86C

Post by 86C »

Some pics of work started :shock:

That's what's left of the offside rear sill/rocker section...
86C

Post by 86C »

Front end of the same sill section
Same part again...
Cleaned back to good metal
Welded...
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

-looking at the first pictures makes me ill; I can feel my pods instinctively retracting in rank primordial fear....

looking at the last pictures gives me a warm and rosy glow inside, by comparison.

Good work fella!

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Brucey wrote:-looking at the first pictures makes me ill; I can feel my pods instinctively retracting in rank primordial fear....
My God - mine's nowhere near as bad as that........ yet..... :shock:
86C

Post by 86C »

And there's more... :(
Repair to the floorpan

Repair to the rear inner sill. Someone has already been there before me!

Viewed from the other side. Bottom edge to be levelled up when the outer sill goes on.

New outer sill section from Germany :D
Last edited by 86C on Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86C

Post by 86C »

Other random stuff that needs attention...
Offside front wing

Offside rear screen surround

Offside front inner wing

Damage to the nose cone

Nearside rear sill section

Too many projects, too little time!!!
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

yeah, a lot of work needed there alright.

I don't mean to add to your woes or anything, but is the shed roof OK? In the picture there it looks like the timber joist holding the roof up is kind of sagging....

Keep it up (roof and all)

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
86C

Post by 86C »

Brucey wrote:I don't mean to add to your woes or anything, but is the shed roof OK? In the picture there it looks like the timber joist holding the roof up is kind of sagging....
:lol: Yeah, it's hanging in there. I've been and jumped up and down on it and it hasn't collapsed yet(famous last words!)
boa

Post by boa »

Been there...
Done that...
Got a MOT...

Good luck with the project 86C.
Thanks boa.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I thought I had rust. Just completed total and thorough rust repair to complete shell. Pictures can be seen at flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

I'm not smiling or laughing :shock: Mine's just going iin for some 'exploratory surgery' as well - I already fear the worst :cry:

I'll let you know the prognosis when I've been given the (bad) news

Sharkfan
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Got a text from my Mechanic today - really casual - "welding going ok - re-attached B-post to rest of car - Happy Xmas"

:shock: :cry: :shock: :roll:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

sharkfan wrote:..... "welding going ok - re-attached B-post to rest of car - Happy Xmas"

sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

horsetan wrote:
sharkfan wrote:..... "welding going ok - re-attached B-post to rest of car - Happy Xmas"

New Year Text from Mechanic, 'Hmmm, a few more more holes, and then a few more, and then a lot more - when we're finished, SELL THE CAR !!!!'

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've seen the pics :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sharkfan
AsphaltJungle

Post by AsphaltJungle »

ok now I don't feel so bad at all, and must keep my 87 635csi cause that is some cancer you are having to repair
86C

Post by 86C »

Still ongoing. Had a bit of a break over the winter period but cracked on again last weekend.
Looks like it'll be off the road for a while yet :(
86C

Post by 86C »

Went upto the farm tonight after work and had 3 hours on the car.
Welded up the inner parts of the jacking points and re-attached the B post to the rest of the car. Outer sill/rocker section is now back in place and just needs the welds finishing off along the top. The bottom edge I spot welded as per factory specs.
Forgot to take my camera though...
86C

Post by 86C »

The sill section is now fully welded in place as is the repair to the drivers front footwell. It's worthy of note that the replacement sill sections don't have the wheel arch ends finished off so I've had to fabricate these.
Shouldn't rust now for a few years once paint and waxoyl have been applied, and also that the sills are galvanised too :D
86C

Post by 86C »

Very slow progress I'm not happy to say on this...
Currently filling over the welds on the sill section right now but I have very little time these days to trek upto the farm after a 12 hour shift at work.
Also, I'm currently in the process of getting back on two wheels again after a 16 year absence(due to a bad accident) so this doesn't help either.
I want to see the job through, but time is precious right now. However, if someone made me the right offer for the car fully welded...
86C

Post by 86C »

Still no progress. Just don't have the time I used to have when I started the project. Do I sell as is, or do I break it for spares? :cry:
(which would be a shame as it's a bloody great drive, better than the Highline)
86C

Post by 86C »

Of course, the arrival of this last year hasn't helped the cause...

Whilst wafting round in this, the urge to get the blue one finished just isn't there :oops:
86C

Post by 86C »

One side now welded up, which is the worst one. The other side needs very little in comparison :D

Might be selling up soon though as I'm losing my storage space :cry:
dick635

Post by dick635 »

bin der, dun dat.

I've enjoyed following your progress in the battle against tinworm. You seem to be doing a proper job and I'd hate to see you quit after the worst is over.

Keep your tetanus shots up to date.

Dick
88 M6
91 850 - modified
13 Volkswagen R -daily driver

ANY engine will fit into ANY car if dropped from a sufficient height and the landing is cushioned with sufficient money.