Good things begin on Jan. 12, 2009!!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Temperature sender?

Post by Masked Man »

Well, to update everyone; I've switched to distilled water with the recommended Redline Water Wetter and there seems to be no real change except that the temp drops back from it's 3/4 status much more quickly than it did with glycol coolant soooo, tomorrow I'm going to purchase a temp sensor sender and see if that is the culprit. I have GOT to get this car smogged and achieving a consistent running temp is crucial to that end.

That is all

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
MrtnEbb

Post by MrtnEbb »

Hey man!

Here's two interesting BMW's currently for sale in Sweden:-)
Check out the wheels, must be the new, hot trend!

Good luck with the 6!
Attachments
528i e12.jpg
528i e12.jpg (126.53 KiB) Viewed 10879 times
528i e28.jpg
528i e28.jpg (53.28 KiB) Viewed 10879 times
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

MrtnEbb wrote:Hey man!

Here's two interesting BMW's currently for sale in Sweden:-)
Check out the wheels, must be the new, hot trend!

Good luck with the 6!
AAaaawwwwww!!! My EYES, my EYES! Will you STOP that?
;-) This just proves that those wheels are fugly no matter WHAT Bimmer they're on. Nuff said.

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Temperature sender?

Post by Masked Man »

Masked Man wrote:... tomorrow I'm going to purchase a temp sensor sender and see if that is the culprit. I have GOT to get this car smogged and achieving a consistent running temp is crucial to that end.
George ROCKS! After a harrowing trip to Pelican Parts, (the 8yo battery in my Acura died and $130 later Triple A had a new battery in and yet all of a sudden the Acura would not idle! Long story short, fixed it and then replaced the old temp sensor sender and plunged onto Robertson Blvd in Beverly Hills. Famous for jammed traffic and a good test. Gentlemen, it worked exactly as advertised. Where before the auxiliary fan wasn't coming on until the needle was WAAaaaay too close to the red for my liking, now it comes on just as the needle creeps up to 5/8 and shoves it back down to 1/2 surely and swiftly!

I purchased a new gas cap because as anyone who lives in The Golden State knows, if that sucker is more than 15 minutes old, you're gonna fail your smog.

So, tomorrow first thing I'll run her over to a test only station after a hard run on the freeway and keep your fingers crossed!

that is all

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Good Stuff Phillip! Glad you're on your way to sorting everything out.

Did you ever hear from Paul? I believe he was out of town for a while but he emailed me and said he was going to send you some pictures of wheels.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

thesixerkid wrote:Good Stuff Phillip! Glad you're on your way to sorting everything out.

Did you ever hear from Paul? I believe he was out of town for a while but he emailed me and said he was going to send you some pictures of wheels.
Thanks again George and yes, sorting continues. One thing I haven't mentioned prior to this, -largely because I was focused on overheating- is that I do have a warm starting issue. The previous owner solved this non turning over issue by attaching a wire which you touch to the + lead of the battery with the ignition on and vroom!

And no, no contact so far from Paul but hope springs eternal...

Excelsior!

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Masked Man wrote: One thing I haven't mentioned prior to this, -largely because I was focused on overheating- is that I do have a warm starting issue. The previous owner solved this non turning over issue by attaching a wire which you touch to the + lead of the battery with the ignition on and vroom!
So it won't even turn over when its warm? Is this every time or just some of the time?
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

thesixerkid wrote:So it won't even turn over when its warm? Is this every time or just some of the time?
As far as I can tell, it's every time. To be specific, when the car is warmed up and then shut off, I get all lights on and not even a click from the solenoid, just utter silence, well I can here the fuel pump going but no other sounds. ~sigh~

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OMG! It passed!!

Post by Masked Man »

I'm speechless, well almost. Now I can relax a bit, take a look at the SI board for deteriorated batteries and see if I can't find a steering wheel among other things. Oh and try to re-assemble the freakin' torsion springs for the trunk lid.

Hey? Does someone make a carbon fiber trunk lid for 6ers? Just an idle query really because I'm sure it would cost buckets O dough. My neighbor has a pepped up 3.35i with chips and bits and a new exhaust sys along with a carbon fiber butt.

Very relieved

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
e28rusty

Post by e28rusty »

YEEEEHAAAA! I know the feeling. It's so nice to be able to focus on things you want to do to the car, instead of worrying whether or not you'll be able to drive it (legally).
Congrats on the pass.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

AND I fixed the freakin trunk lid!!!

Post by Masked Man »

I was inspired by passing smog so I decided I'd attempt to fix the trunk. Thank you Chris Wright for the detailed step by step pics! I don't have golf tees so i used a nice large 2" dome headed screw. One of the keys to getting this job done was a newly acquired pair of vice grips. They allowed me to not have to grip AND shove the torsion spring. I was able to clamp them on and then lever the sucker down until I could attach the connector. It is not an easy task by any means but with those clear pictures and vice grips, it took about 45 minutes. One friend did come by wondering why I was climbing into my trunk with a flashlight? Oh and he LIKES the wheels! I offered to sell them to him but he demurred.

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So, now the Transmission!!!

Post by Masked Man »

Question, oh mighty E24 Brain trust; Am I running the risk of munging up my (so far) nicely running Automatic Transmission -4 speed- by getting it flushed and the screen cleaned, etc.? My mechanic worries that doing a flush will float crap into places where it can't be removed, necessitating a transplant. The car is -just to refresh memories- 1985 Euro spec 635 with the 4 speed automatic tranny. It has in excess of 200K but the odometer she no worky.

Opinions? Experiences? Hearsay?

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Chris Wright

Re: So, now the Transmission!!!

Post by Chris Wright »

Masked Man wrote:Question, oh mighty E24 Brain trust; Am I running the risk of munging up my (so far) nicely running Automatic Transmission -4 speed- by getting it flushed and the screen cleaned, etc.? My mechanic worries that doing a flush will float crap into places where it can't be removed, necessitating a transplant. The car is -just to refresh memories- 1985 Euro spec 635 with the 4 speed automatic tranny. It has in excess of 200K but the odometer she no worky.

Opinions? Experiences? Hearsay?

Phillip
As to the question, "To flush, or not to flush, that is the question" (apologies to Bill S.), the answers seem to be widely split.

I guess it would depend on whether you have records of the transmission fluid/filter being regularly changed of not. If it has had changes in the past I would certainly continue changes with regular ATF and filters.

If it does not seem to have had fluid changes, some people say not to change it. But someone posted once that if you leave the fluid in, you know for a fact that the fluid is getting worse and probably will give you trouble sometime in the future, you just don't know how long you have. Whereas, if you change it, you might knock something loose or you might not. At least you can time it to be prepared for a couple of rounds with some tranny problems.

Notice that above I didn't say anything about using a tranny flush or Synthetic ATF, if you use those, it becomes more likely for something to knock loose and cause problems. so i wouldn't use them unless the tranny were showing signs of problems. But some want to take the risk and if they don't get away with it, deal with any possible problems now instead of later. But if you do have problems you are probably facing multiple flushes and soakings (see link below) with a worst case scenario of having to have the valve body dropped to be cleaned by a tranny shop (don't have to drop the transmission for that).

Bottom line, I'm kind of with you on the preventive maintenance, I'd probably do a change with reg. ATF and a filter. And remember, you only change part of the fluid when you drop the pan. Quite a bit is still up in the torque converter, so it take several changes to get it all. And from what I've read, those "power flushes" don't do any better a job at getting all of the fluid out.

Here is a thread on flushing and soaking the tranny:
viewtopic.php?t=4291&highlight=atsg
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Hey Phillip, I just realized that the last email you sent me ended up in spam :?: :?: :?:

Anyway, I agree 100% with Chris. If you run into problems because the tranny flush moves particles around with in the tranny, then you were bound to have problems even without the flush, it would only be a matter of time.
Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

e24trapt wrote:ok seriously what is with e24's and banged up noses.....
Just look at your 6! They are mean bullies and occasionally a intimidated Hyundai driver takes a cheap shot.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Just to keep this thread updated, I've changed the ATF, filter and put new rotors on the front. The front magnet had very fine metal dust, the rear almost none. So far she runs fine, stops better and shifts like a champ. Updates as conditions warrant.

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh The Lengths You'll Go To (Apologies to Ted Geisel)

Post by Masked Man »

Well, in my quest to have tuneage in my lovely Black Diamond I removed the center console in search of the paper sticker which used to be on the top of my Pioneer KE-83zbm head unit. Maybe it fell off the unit and is hiding down inside?

WOW! They's a lot O wires in there! But no paper sticker did I see. I need to post some pics of this snake pit because there's a Viper (sorry about the snake pit ref. but I couldn't resist) after market anti-theft device that I desperately want to yank out but not unless and until I can do so with no harm to the car. I am gonna need an electrician, dammit! The good news is, I've finally gotten the Lama plastic bits clean of whatEVER gunge the previous owner spilled on them. Though my energetic scrubbing appears to have left me with a hazy surface. Armorall? ~shudder~

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Finally Style 5's on my 6er!

Post by Masked Man »

Now THAT is what a 6er ought to look like!

Phillip
Attachments
P3310002_2.jpg
P3310002_2.jpg (188.01 KiB) Viewed 10780 times
P3310003_2.jpg
P3310003_2.jpg (169.7 KiB) Viewed 10780 times
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
EMMMM_90

Nice....

Post by EMMMM_90 »

Wow! What a difference a set of wheels look. Two different looks by just a set of wheels. I do like the dimensions of your other tires though. If shortly the dollars permit you get a set of wider tires. Your wheels will thank you as the extra rubber protects you against rubbing against the curb. For now just get some of those 80's wires that rub and indicate when you are too close to the curb. LOL. Does anyone still sport those?

There is a Shark at the junk yard on off of Tuxford in Sun Valley. You should head down there for that shark's nose. Get your battery operated grinder and add a cutting wheel and just cut it before the nose. Take it and then carefully remove the welded parts. Usually you can drill off the spot welds. If you know someone that knows how to use a cutting torch then take them with you it will be much faster.
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Looks good Phillip!
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Nice....

Post by Masked Man »

7t8_635csi wrote:I do like the dimensions of your other tires though. If shortly the dollars permit you get a set of wider tires. Your wheels will thank you as the extra rubber protects you against rubbing against the curb.
Hang on now. The previous tires were P225/50R 16's and these are 215/55R 16's are you telling me that you can see the dif. in a picture? No way!

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Masked Man wrote:
7t8_635csi wrote:I do like the dimensions of your other tires though. If shortly the dollars permit you get a set of wider tires. Your wheels will thank you as the extra rubber protects you against rubbing against the curb.
Hang on now. The previous tires were P225/50R 16's and these are 215/55R 16's are you telling me that you can see the dif. in a picture? No way!

Phillip
Yes you can tell by how much the tire sticks past the edge of the rim. In the first shot, you can see that its not quite flush with the side. I say put some more meat on there!
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Trailing arm Supports

Post by Masked Man »

Well, Pelican delivered the supports and all I had to do was mount them. It went well considering that our precious Bentley doesn't even show the flippin trailing arm supports and hence I didn't know that the inboard bolt has a nut on it. Ah well, I would suggest to others that you perhaps run the rear wheels up on something solid in order to give yourself more room to maneuver. Here are the old and the new pitman arms.

Phillip

Correction: Bentley DOES show the trailing arm supports but NOT the nut. My bad
Attachments
I wonder if these are original?
I wonder if these are original?
P4170001.jpg (31.08 KiB) Viewed 10656 times
That's better!
That's better!
P4170013.jpg (39.99 KiB) Viewed 10656 times
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
csi do or die

Post by csi do or die »

The first thing I did on my'87 was replace them.. Amazing the difference in handeling :lol:
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Damn, those look worse than when I peeked under the car at Scott's house.