Good things begin on Jan. 12, 2009!!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

There is the silver backed hood liner, 2 types of the gray, open cell foam insulation, one is similar to the OEM and one is less dense.

And then there is the black, closed cell, aircraft foam rubber:

http://928leathershop.com/Hood_Liner_Heat_Shields.html

e24 3 piece set:

Here is their sales pitch:
  • I found this material 5 years ago and put it on my own 928. It holds up well, much better than the OEM hood pad, keeps the exterior of the hood cool and will not reflect engine heat back down toward your intake.
    Made of 1/4 inch nitrile vinyl closed cell foam rubber, these hood liners will not absorb water or oil. They are light, about 11 ounces on average, are fire retardant and insulate against sound and heat.

You can wash the liner and hose it off. Since the material is made for aircraft firewalls and bulkheads and is FAA approved for aircraft, its extremely light and unlike the factory liner will not absorb water and resists mildew.

It has a closed cell texture on one side and a smooth finish on the other. Some liners are symmetrical and can be mounted with either side facing the engine. A decal can be adhered to the smooth finish side only. The color is black.
Here is a thread on hood liners:
viewtopic.php?t=5301&
ozbmw

Re: Which Hood insulation is right?

Post by ozbmw »

Masked Man wrote:Hey campers!

ALL OPINIONS WELCOME!! I need to figure out which way to go. Foil finish or the dark gray? Does one or the other keep my engine bay cooler or is it a wash?

I ask because she's about to go to the body man and the hood is coming off, ergo replacement will be infinitely easier. Oh and keeping the raggly scaggly mess that is there now is NOT an option. Also? If I go with the dark gray, should I get the 1/4 inch or the 1/2 inch?

Phillip

PS I can't find the link to the foil hood install. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
I decided to make my own, I bought 20mm air filter foam and using the old one as a pattern, I drew it up and a friend cut it for me with his CO2 Laser:

It can withstand heat and fuel and be hosed clean.
Matt @ Snowy Mountains of Australia
http://bigcoupe.com/members/ozbmw
Finally6

Re: Which Hood insulation is right?

Post by Finally6 »

ozbmw wrote:I decided to make my own, I bought 20mm air filter foam and using the old one as a pattern, I drew it up and a friend cut it for me with his CO2 Laser:

It can withstand heat and fuel and be hosed clean.
Oz, a couple of questions for you. What is a good source for the air filter foam, and how did you make it stick in place? Eric
Gazman

Post by Gazman »

This is from his project thread (hope quote works)
ozbmw wrote:Beginning on April Fools Day appropriately, I decided that the tired oily discoloured bonnet (hood) insulation had to go. Having read a post about it earlier I decided to tackle this God forsaken task. AARRGHH !!!

I decided that the only way to cope with this was to have a couple of glasses of Brown Brothers 2006 Merlot first, that way I would be relaxed enough not to smash anything.

In the beginning there was this:

After a couple of hours of careful and not so careful hacking, peeling, slicing, rubbing etc:

Discoloured oily foam insulation

Another two hours went by and this:

Enough for one day .......................... Went to F.R.I. and got a sheet of 20mm Airfilter foam ( $$$$$$$$$$$$)

The after using the old pieces as templates I measured lengths, widths and various radii and came up with a file that was duly loaded into a friends computers and his CO2 Laser sprang to life, ten minutes later I had these:

Using High Temp. Contact glue and a good dose of patience and some balancing ( I used a Rola roof bar across the strut tops to form a seat so I could sit astride the engine in order to position the pads perfectly as this glue has no mercy for errors and inaccuracies in the installation phase.

The end result:

Me Happy :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Finally6

Post by Finally6 »

Oz, Is there a website for F.R.I? I called a couple of vendors here and they didn't have anything that could withstand under hood temperatures, highest available was 150 degrees.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Thank you all,

I was kinda interested in the shiny foil insulator but with no link available, I went with the 1/4 inch closed cell foam from the guys at 928. I reckon the silver would have looked a bit gaudy. I did purchase the white BMW logo for some bling. I'm going to take some before and after shots. Gotta say though that the stuff looks grey not black. We'll see.

Oh hey? What adhesive did you guys use? I don't think the kit comes with any...???

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Here are a pic of the existing hood insulation and the pieces delivered by the 928 folks. I'm hoping to drop the baby off at the body shop on Monday and take away the hood for DIY replacement.

Phillip
Attachments
old and ugly insulation
old and ugly insulation
P6060001.jpg (31.63 KiB) Viewed 16647 times
New pieces
New pieces
P6060027.jpg (17.18 KiB) Viewed 16647 times
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

One more thing! Today, my buddy Vince helped me get TUNES working in the Black Diamond!!!! Whoo hooo! Now I just have to get a proper tray for CD's and spray the holy peewaddle out of the pots so it doesn't crackle when I turn the volume up or down and I'm stylin! Well, I do have to fix or repair the antenna, since it only goes up to the 2nd extension but it still works! Music, Maestro, please!

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

When all else fails, read the instructions, the link is on their home page: :wink:

Hood Liner Installation
Instructions

They recommend 3M spray adhesive #80 (I'm surprised that they don't include an instruction sheet with the pad).

Their photo does look gray, is it as black as it looks in your photo? Did you get the 1/2" or 1/4"?
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Chris Wright wrote:When all else fails, read the instructions, the link is on their home page: :wink:

Destructions? We don need no steenkin destructions!

Hood Liner Installation
Instructions

They recommend 3M spray adhesive #80 (I'm surprised that they don't include an instruction sheet with the pad).

Actually they do include destructions but I wanted to get the thinking of the brain trust here at lead paint iz us;-)

Their photo does look gray, is it as black as it looks in your photo? Did you get the 1/2" or 1/4"?
I got the 1/4" and kinda regret it. I'm sure it will be fine but I kinda like the thicker look. And it IS black. I'm not sure why their pics look so gray.:-(

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Masked Man wrote: Destructions? We don need no steenkin destructions!
Phillip
:D Good line, what movie is that from?

(You can tell what generation someone is from by the movie they give!) 8)
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Oops, FYI, BMP has the shiny stuff:

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/p ... h_model/19
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Well, it's a bit of a paraphrase of the line from "The Treasure of The Sierra Madre" with Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt and Walter Huston. The original line is, "...We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!" And it has been 'homaged' in several films including "Blazing Saddles"

I'm notorious for not reading instructions. NOW you post the link to the shiny stuff?
:D :D :D

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What a difference 6 months makes!

Post by Masked Man »

Okay, the body man did not have to remove the hood sooooo, I'm going to have to wait till he's done to replace the hood insulation. Buuuuut! DING DING DING! :D :D :D

It will be ready on June 12th (My birthday) and 6 months to the day from date of purchase! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bliss is a new nose!!!

Post by Masked Man »

I can't tell you guys just how different it is to have the nose fixed. All I ever saw when I approached my car, was the ding. Now? Now I see the slightly pushed in rear bumper. ~le sigh~
Will it never END?

Phillip

PS pictures soon
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
MrtnEbb

Post by MrtnEbb »

Well done! Let's see a picture of the nosejob. It really ruins the whole impression of the sixer with a dented nose. I know, mine is too.
Mr Lucky

Re: Bliss is a new nose!!!

Post by Mr Lucky »

Masked Man wrote:I can't tell you guys just how different it is to have the nose fixed. All I ever saw when I approached my car, was the ding. Now? Now I see the slightly pushed in rear bumper. ~le sigh~
Will it never END?

Phillip

PS pictures soon
Phillip. Surely you know by now?

It never ends...
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Nose & dam

Post by Masked Man »

Okay, here are a three pictures of the new nose & the air dam. They were supposed to re-hang the dam but didn't. Soooooo, guess what I'm doing next? Any hints would be appreciated. And yes, I know I have to replace driving light lenses. There's that list again.

Phillip

PS I think the color match is pretty good, yes no? Oh, why couldn't I attach all 6 pictures? Anyone? They're all small.
Attachments
P6180001.jpg
P6180001.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 16387 times
P6180002.jpg
P6180002.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 16387 times
P6180003.jpg
P6180003.jpg (35.84 KiB) Viewed 16387 times
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

...Or why NOTHING is ever easy

Post by Masked Man »

By now I fully expected to be posting pictures of the new hood insulation installed but through the staggering incompetence of 3M corp. My can of #80 spray adhesive which was supposed to arrive Monday, was sent to Florida. After a sternly worded email to the dunces at 3M, apparently my NEW can will arrive today.... Is anyone else holding their breath? Yeah, me neither. Updates as conditions warrant.

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

Looking great Phil!
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Finally, The insulation is replaced!!!

Post by Masked Man »

Well, this task is done. It took about 5 hours and no adult beverages. (I don't drink) but here's a link to the pictures on flickr, along with some explanation about the process.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30688717@N ... 359733081/

Phillip

PS I'm LOVIN it!!!
Attachments
Masked & ready for 3M #80
Masked & ready for 3M #80
P6240013.jpg (28.31 KiB) Viewed 17221 times
the finished product
the finished product
P6240017.jpg (34.61 KiB) Viewed 17221 times
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
wwetzel

Post by wwetzel »

Love the BMW logo on the hood insulation. Where did you get it? Think I may have to do the same.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

wwetzel wrote:Love the BMW logo on the hood insulation. Where did you get it? Think I may have to do the same.
wwetzel, Here's the link to the folks who sold me the insulation kit. the decal costs an additional $10.00 I'm not sure if you can purchase it separately though.

Phillip

http://928leathershop.com/Hood_Liner_Heat_Shields.html
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A Diff Diff? Worth the effort?

Post by Masked Man »

Soooo,

Here's the dope. I might have a shot at a 3.73 LSD rear end to replace my present 3.25 non LSD Price is negligible. Basically the cost of shipping. My thinking is that it would make my girl significantly quicker from a standing start. Presently, I can't take a 10 speed bike off the line.

To be clear? I am not planning to swap out the trans. and make this a 5 speed. It's going to remain a 4 speed automatic but not one of those rather interesting electronic switchable types. Worth the effort?

I would love to hear from ya'll, thanks!

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
The Sixer Kid

Re: A Diff Diff? Worth the effort?

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Masked Man wrote:Soooo,

Here's the dope. I might have a shot at a 3.73 LSD rear end to replace my present 3.25 non LSD Price is negligible. Basically the cost of shipping. My thinking is that it would make my girl significantly quicker from a standing start. Presently, I can't take a 10 speed bike off the line.

To be clear? I am not planning to swap out the trans. and make this a 5 speed. It's going to remain a 4 speed automatic but not one of those rather interesting electronic switchable types. Worth the effort?

I would love to hear from ya'll, thanks!

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Phillip, this is the same combo I'm running in my '87 635. 3.73LSD and 4hp-22. Works Great! No complaints.