Bimmerfest 2010 in Pasadena May 22nd

This is for general BMW gatherings and less formal events

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Klaus

Bimmerfest 2010 in Pasadena May 22nd

Post by Klaus »

After looking around for a while I found the announcement for Bimmerfest 2010 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, May 22nd: http://www.bimmerfest.com/event.php

I might be tempted to attend, but looking at the pictures it looks more like a E36, E46 and "$800 per month lease" event with more fake carbon fiber then allowed by law.
Can somebody enlighten me what the general setup for the event is? Any appreciation for the classics or more a waste of time.

Looking at their forum there does not appear to be much activity in the classic sector, maybe some of the SoCal guys can enlighten us...

Klaus
smaglik

Post by smaglik »

Agree with Klaus, especially on the 800/month comment. Any insight appreciated.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Really??? Nobody has an opinion in this highly opinionated crowd? Somebody must have attended this event before and can shed some light on it...
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Klaus?

Mebbe (and I'm just speculatin' here) the fact that no one has a comment is a comment? Dunno but I was tempted to attend the one last year that was held in Santa Barbara on the polo fields but after talking with my neighbor who owns an E92 and looking at the posts on Bimmerforums, it seemed it really was going to be as you described. So I eschewed that opportunity to surround myself with 20 somethings paying 800/mo to lease cars. There were some classics there as I heard it. E9's some E24's, E28's and a sprinkling of 02's.

My 2 cents

Phillip

PS By the way? My neighbor had put more than 6K of mods on a lease car!
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
maxpesce

Post by maxpesce »

I was at the last one in Santa Barbara and was not disappointed at the number of e9-e34's there, though fully 75% of the cars were less than 10 yrs old, there were even some 1960's vintage 2k2's and 1600's

some of my pic's from the event:

Click any image to go to the album
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Thanks for the pictures, I am still torn, but might consider an attempt this year. The pictures make it look bearable, appears that at least some classic stuff shows up. Wouldn't guess by their website...

Klaus
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

This being semi local to me I have to go. Never been before so I have no idea what to expect. I'm looking forward to seeing some early classics. It might be a good idea to have a BC meeting place prior to the show so we can park close together instead of being all spread out everywhere. Any true locals willing to scout out a good place to meet up before going into the show? Raffi, Phillip, Nomorebmws, Abel? Get as much info as you can and post up. We can make plans as we know more.

Maxpesce - how is parking handled? Is field parking limited to show entered vehicles? How big is the crowd?

I visited the website and their FAQ is very limited. It says anyone can sell used items out of the trunk of their car but no commercial items. I suppose an ice chest and BBQ is out of the question because that can be abused. Event time schedule is not mentioned.

I want to know more so if anyone has any info it would be great.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
BlackShark6

Post by BlackShark6 »

its been a few years I havent made it out to bimemrfest,, being so close I cant pass up. It will be interesting to see how large its become, and possibly a different crowd attending and maybe more classics than usual.

Part of the fun was driving to Santa Barbara in a large fleet of bmws on the fwy, someone would make a cool video of the drive up passing all the cars in the line, Ive had the privelage of following a group of bmws put together by my brother a few times, very fun times!, I was one e30 following a bunch of e39s and other models then lining up at the beach for photo ops before going to the actual event.

From attending previous ones, there are going to be mostly the newer cars, and some nice classics from being such a big event. Ive have seen nice e30 m3s e28's M5s 8-series' 02's I remember raffles and bbq, some product booths, show cars, many people and their cars! summer heat(well maybe not this year?), allot of walking around, awards for nicest in class. there will allot of cars to look at...
I have always ended up with about 300 pictures each trip!
89' 325i cabrio(r.i.p @ 250k+) blue/tan blacktop
85' 635 CSi (hit @ 72k) Blk/blk 5sp(garaged)
82' 733i (sold to hollywood @ 300k+ )blk/brwn
99' 528i ACSchnitzer ext.(sold 103k orig owner) silver/grey 5sp
97' 540i/6 (sold) blue/blk 6sp
globalgrooves

Post by globalgrooves »

yes i think i will hit it up with my newly acquired 635csi
braol

Post by braol »

I'd be up for a group run up from San Diego.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

OK, I have to finalize my schedule for May in the next couple of days, still interested in going to Pasadena on the 22nd.

Anyway, it appears as if the placement arrangements are the biggest draw back, parking cars in the order of arrival. I can happily survive another day without being parked in by lease cars...

So here is the suggestion:
Maybe one of the local guys can suggest a pre-staging area close to the Pasadena location. We could meet some time ahead of the event and arrive together or at least in bigger groups. I think this would by all means be more interesting for us and still allow us to experience the event. The location could be shared with the other boards and at least the E12 guys, maybe even the E28 guys.
On the other hand we might step on the feet of the organizers by pre-sorting, not sure if this is something that needs to be addressed before hand...

Klaus
raffi91

Post by raffi91 »

Since this event is going to be 10 mins from my house i have considered going, but whats holding me back is the other cars and the crowd that will be there. I've heard from a few of my friends that have attended the fest that its mostly 3ers of all years and I think it would get a bit boring walking around seeing hundreds of 3ers modded in the same way. That being said I think it would be very cool if we could get a bunch of BC 6ers in a row. As for a spot to meet i think the United Artist theater parking lot off the 2 freeway exit to Verdugo Blvd would be great. Here is the address for the Starbucks coffee in that same plaza, 1929 Verdugo Blvd La Canada Fltrdg, CA 91011-3002. There is also another shopping center in La Canada with a Sport Chalet and a few eateries, 2 Sport Chalet Dr La Canada Flintridge, California 91011. Google maps only shows a big patch of dirt, but that was taken during construction and it is now finished and open with a lot of parking.
Ralph in Socal wrote: how is parking handled? Is field parking limited to show entered vehicles?
Anyone have a link with some more info?
nomorebmws

Post by nomorebmws »

never been to one before, I don't know if I will like to attend these one even do is closer, specially since parking seems to me it will be like the 5 or 405 fwy at rush hour, different cars everywhere :lol:
However if we can come up with a plan to meet up somewhere like Raffi had mention I might go.
the idea of parking next to a 800 a month lease or next to a robocop is not at all attracted to me. :D
there is no fees to attend, and so far on the registration statistics it shows 5 e24's
raffi91

Post by raffi91 »

Alright, so who is planning on going that would like to meet up before and arrive at BF together? Also, anyone know if registration is necessary to get in?
-Raffi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'M IN!!!

Post by Ralph in Socal »

As far as I know I'm in. Spoke to the warden and I get a day to go have a little bit of fun. I have to rely on the locals (Raffi, Nomore (Nick) and Phillip) to determine the meet point. Consider traffic congestion will be abundant so I suggest someplace (Sport Chalet looks good) where we make easy right turns to get to the venue. Looks like coming down south on Rosemont Ave or Arroyo will drop us right into the entrance. Is that possible? 8:30 depart time from the meet point to be at the gate at 9 (traffic willing).

The link has been updated (it's been a while since I last visited) and now shows $20 entry fee per car, hours of 9 to 4 on 5/22/10. Just enough info in the FAQ as well.

I'm looking forward to finally meeting some of you SoCal BC folks. Be good to meet Klaus and others as well. We need to get attendance up to out number the e28 or e10 folks.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Looks like I am in, by looking at the map the Sport Chalet parking lot appears to be the best choice for the pre-meet.
Maybe we should crosspost to the other E24 forums and the E12 and E28 guys to judge interest.
Registration is definitely required for the event, not sure where the sudden registration fees comes from...

Klaus
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Well, looks like you have to count me out. I actually managed to almost amputate a finger tip last week, glove saved it from being removed completely. After some emergency repairs last Thursday, I got the bad news today that I need a lot more surgery, Thursday they are trying put the bones and joints back together. The cosmetic part looks amazingly well, almost looks like a finger again, just does not move and will most likely not have a nail...

Anyway, enjoy the event and let me know how it goes...

Klaus
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

DAMN Klaus! What happened? Holy crap man, hang in there!

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OUCH!!!!!!

Post by GRNSHRK »

Geez Klaus, how the Hell did you manage to do that #-o

Hoping for the best, as I'm sure we all are :roll:

Hang in there buddy, we will want to see you out on the left hand coast for more events :wink:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Well, as there were quiet a few requests..., even if it's completely OT.

Last Thursday I fixed a frame of a Medium Duty Chevrolet, repairing some sag after an incorrect accessory installation and some impact damage. I used a specialized C-Tool, which goes into the inside of the frame rail and is either locked to the frame machine with a spacer or moved with a 40 ton hydraulic ram. The tool is made out of 1" plate, with reinforcements on both sides, weighs about 25lbs. I was sitting on the floor holding myself up with my left hand and grabbing the tool with my right hand, tool slipped and went straight down about 4 feet, slicing through the glove and my left index finger.

The sharper edge of the tool went straight through the nail bed, pulverizing the bone and cutting almost all the way down, tearing everything into little chunks. Broke the finger in three spots, major mess everywhere.

I called my wife, after stopping most of the bleeding and collecting loose parts, she rushed me to the Emergency Room we usually go to (!!!), after calling and making sure that they had a surgeon there that is competent in plastic surgery. The ER is straight across town, so after 40 minutes I am bleeding through the second towel, didn't know a finger could bleed that bad. The ER was all prepped when we got there, a couple of IV's and a nerve block later, they are stitching the finger back together, somewhere in the range of 70 stitches in 3 layers. They reattached the rest of the nail, not sure if a new one is going to grow. Wife said that the repair looked good, I was tired of watching and just had them wrap it up before taking a nap.

Yesterday we saw the Orthopedic Hand Surgeon, luckily the same guy that fixed my thumb before. He thinks he can repair most of the breaks and do some magic with the crushed portion, also wants to check what ultimate damage I did to the nerves, luckily there are just 2. So, he scheduled surgery for Thursday morning, which means an emergency detox for me to get cleared for surgery, no more pain killers or injections, no migraine medication or sleeping pills, water, but no coffee, tea or even Gatorade. Ultimately the pain is bearable, not really too bad, I checked the finger yesterday when they redressed it and it really looks good, almost like it belongs there. I am currently released to light duty, man, I hate answering phones all day and dealing with stupid people, next week I am going to be on full disability with my hand and lower arm in a cast for a couple of weeks, hopefully can start rehab at the end of May.

So my riding season is cut short and I am going to miss a few West Coast events, what worries me Is that I might miss PSF 2010 due to some prior commitments, pending the scheduling...

Klaus
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Sumbitch! Just reading that description hurt! I am concerned about that entry, "...the ER we usually go to..." I'm thinkin' you ought to take up another line of work, Klaus, say mattress tester or marshmallow inspector?

Hang in there amigo and I'll keep a good thought for your recovery.

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
bfons

Post by bfons »

Oh man Klaus,

What a story. I hope it heals up nicely.

>>luckily the same guy that fixed my thumb before.

LOL...you've been through this before?
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
Lafah

Post by Lafah »

Hello Klaus,
Looking for your guidance and to settle a dispute between my husband and me...I want to attend Pacific Shark Fest this year if possible, love a road trip! (driving over from Eagle , ID). My dear husband says we should only attend sometime in w future year when I have a new paint job and she is show quality. I am of the point of view to attend so that I may be in the presence of so many SME's (subject matter experts) as I am learning as much as possible before making choices along the way. Where better to learn! I have attached a picture, yes she has small chips and one small dent 1.5 in on the left rear corner. Interior is in great shape with only a couple stitch repairs required. Plan to fully restore over time, it's all about the brand integrity.
Thanks for your input Klaus - have a great time in Pasadena!
Patricia
Attachments
IMGP0007.JPG
IMGP0007.JPG (792.37 KiB) Viewed 10572 times
Lafah

Post by Lafah »

Good grief! Not sure how I missed the most important part of the post! So sorry to hear about your finger, ow, Ow, OW! Here's to a good recovery and you know it won't be quick enough. Take care and my best to your wife :->
Patricia
World-Class6

Post by World-Class6 »

Ouchy! Wish you a speedy recovery Klaus and hope all turns out for the best!...the thought is just killing me.
85 M635 Schwarz (Found a new home in L.A.)
95 MBZ E36 AMG Coupe widebody Polar White
88 BMW E28 535is White
2000 Jaguar XJR Anthracite
2016 GMC Sierra Double Cab SLT- All Terrain Black
-------------------------------------------------------