Bush Capital Cruise - Saturday 7 November 2009

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Great photos Alex, and good to hear your continued run on to Forbes went well. The trip north via Lachlan Valley Way etc is pretty good too, an awesome drive in a Sixer.

Ben, just between you & me, the drama with my car's electrical system smells of sabotage to me. It just doesn't make sense that the combined might of Team Serco, Alex with his boot full of tools including a selection of masking tapes in every colour, Beernut's extensive knowledge of ICE and my fluent German were unable to locate the problem, yet Statham knew exactly where to look and what to do. It just doesn't add up. Oi.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Sounds quite plausible - isn't this him attempting to make a getaway?

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Lol, exactly!
jbd5015

Post by jbd5015 »

Ellis-

Great photos and write-up!! The same thing happened to me after 20 mins into my first Sharkfest of my life! I didnt even get 15 miles before the car sputtered and died in Pennsylvania farm country! Turned out to be one of the same reference sensors that put a hault to your journey!!

Glad to see you had some decent tape for the job! All i had was some drafting tape (used for paper, sticky enough to hold it in place, but not sticky enough to rip the paper upon removal). Jackie had some in her bag because she had some work to do over the trip. Enough of it held up to make the 1300 mile round trip!

Scenery was great, some of those roads looked fresh paved!

-Jeff
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Guys - great trip, great photo's and great write ups!

Ellis - you should work for a politician as their PR consultant! You certainly have the gift of the gab and an uncanny ability to spin doctor anything! :D

Don't foget - Albury-Wodonga, March 2010 is getting closer. I'm chasing some accomodation info at the moment, so make sure you send me those registration forms.

Looking forward to another Aussie school of sharks!

Alex - what sort & size of wheels are you running on your 6? I love that deep polished lip look.

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Damn it! Registration form. Forgot it already :oops:

Other blokes. Jealous of not only my dress sense but electrical knowledge too eh?
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

Hi Mark -

I sent my registration through, I have taken a couple of extra days off before the 19th and after the 20th as well!

I don't think I'll be in the M635 I bought, it needs quite some work and as long as I still have my other one I'll come in that.
I did get carried away and got some new number plates for the M... They are mounted on my normal 635 at the moment, I know, very shameful... But it does look good ;)
The bugs will be coming off this weekend!

The wheels are Simmons OM series, 17" and I really love them, the car handles great on them. I'm not sure about any other dimensions, as the first pair I ordered didn't fit (stuff up on their side though), but all for the better because I ended up with a heaps deeper lip!

They are quite entertaining when it's time for polishing, I went out and bought a Dremel just for that - but I suppose any polished wheel will make your thumbs and index fingers fall off once it's time for cleaning!

Cheers,

Alex
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

jbd5015 wrote:Ellis-
Great photos and write-up!! The same thing happened to me after 20 mins into my first Sharkfest of my life! I didnt even get 15 miles before the car sputtered and died in Pennsylvania farm country! Turned out to be one of the same reference sensors that put a hault to your journey!!
Glad to see you had some decent tape for the job! All i had was some drafting tape (used for paper, sticky enough to hold it in place, but not sticky enough to rip the paper upon removal). Jackie had some in her bag because she had some work to do over the trip. Enough of it held up to make the 1300 mile round trip!
Scenery was great, some of those roads looked fresh paved!
-Jeff
Gday Jeff,

Obviously this issue with the pulse generator leads only happens to really cool people.

Did you replace yours? Given its just the plastic connectors which have become brittle with age and cracked, do you know if you are able to just replace the connectors themselves on the existing leads? Cost-wise I don't like the sound of having to replace cabling which comprises part of the main wiring harness.

And you're right, some of the roads had been freshly paved. The main road from the City to Cotter Dam is being repaired and slightly widened in preparation for an upcoming major construction project which will see the Dam made 20 times larger than it is now. From next month that road will be hammered daily with trucks, earth-moving equipment and heavy construction vehicles throughout the duration of the project. It's scheduled for completion by the end of 2011. Yeah right, like that's gonna happen, my money's on this thing dragging on and on and on, maybe 2015 if we're lucky.
Mark E wrote: Don't forget - Albury-Wodonga, March 2010 is getting closer. I'm chasing some accommodation info at the moment, so make sure you send me those registration forms.
That's right people, get those rego forms in for Mark. Mine's in, I need you all to be there too, in case my car breaks down again.
Paul Humpage wrote:Damn it! Registration form. Forgot it already :oops
Typical.
Paul Humpage wrote: Other blokes. Jealous of not only my dress sense but electrical knowledge too eh?
Soooooooooooooo jealous.
Redaussie6 wrote: Image
Alex - that plate looks very cool. Image
jbd5015

Post by jbd5015 »

Ellis-

I sent you a PM regarding the issue but i actually still havent replaced the leads.

Ive replaced the transmission but actually kept the old leads. Ive just replaced the drafting tape with sturdy electrical tape. Ill eventually get around to replacing it correctly...maybe...

-Jeff
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Redaussie6 wrote:Hi Mark -

I sent my registration through, I have taken a couple of extra days off before the 19th and after the 20th as well!

I don't think I'll be in the M635 I bought, it needs quite some work and as long as I still have my other one I'll come in that.
I did get carried away and got some new number plates for the M... They are mounted on my normal 635 at the moment, I know, very shameful... But it does look good ;)
The bugs will be coming off this weekend!

The wheels are Simmons OM series, 17" and I really love them, the car handles great on them. I'm not sure about any other dimensions, as the first pair I ordered didn't fit (stuff up on their side though), but all for the better because I ended up with a heaps deeper lip!

They are quite entertaining when it's time for polishing, I went out and bought a Dremel just for that - but I suppose any polished wheel will make your thumbs and index fingers fall off once it's time for cleaning!

Cheers,

Alex
Just love tha M6!!!! Just how bad is the rust? What other problems will you be fixing?? Note that my car is currently up on the hoist getting the diff mount re welded. We have now found that there is no front sway bar and the front left sway bar mount is missing from the chassi!!! No wonder Ellis left me behind! Ben had not trouble getting away from me but he and Paul can really drive!
Serco

run

Post by Serco »

Josh,
I told you the front felt "nervous" when I had a drive this year.
What else is missing under?
Can't believe we drove her with no S/B, oh shit!
Regards,
Allan
Shipper 01

Re: run

Post by Shipper 01 »

Serco wrote:Josh,
I told you the front felt "nervous" when I had a drive this year.
What else is missing under?
Can't believe we drove her with no S/B, oh shit!
Regards,
Allan
Not wrong. No wonder it felt like the car was trying to peel itself off of the road. Greg dropped it into the sway bar guys this afternoon and the big rear sway bar is already on and the new big front will be on by lunch time tomorrow (they need to weld a new mount to the left hand side of the chassi!!). It says something about these 633's that we can hammer one behind a tuned M6, without a front sway bar and stay with them. They don't build em like this anymore.
Serco

run

Post by Serco »

Josh,
Don't sell your self short, it was the driver hanging on for grim death!
The larger sway bars make a huge improvement to the cornering.
And wait until Daniel makes the lower stiffer springs.
Gertie the new ROAD RUNNER!
Serco
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

Hey Josh!

Thanks for your kind comments!
You can view some (scarrryyy) photos of the M635 on this linky viewtopic.php?t=10583

I'm getting the car next week probably (if all goes well), then I'll get it checked out by my mechanic and probably start weeping, although I think it's not too bad... We'll find out - I'll keep you posted!!!

Scary things with your diff mount and suspension! We all saw your photos and couldn't believe our eyes and speculated on what could have caused it... Missing sway bar mounts wasn't something we were expecting, that's for sure! But hey, there is always a first for something when you own an E24!
Anyway, I hope you get it all fixed up soon and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg (and a kidney)! Maybe we can all get together again soon for a pre-Xmas run?

I washed my car yesterday in anticipation! (Pls excuse my poor photography - the background is sh*t, the light was sh*t, the guy taking the photos was sh*tfaced too ;), but after getting a million grasshoppers and flies off my spoiler I find I do have an excuse)

Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Daniel is doing the lowering springs for my E24 right now. 40mm lower and from memory (Daniel may correct me here) 50% stiffer.

The new sway bars are on and including re-welding the left chassis mount it's around $400 all up plus a few little pieces.

The re-welding of the diff mount cost nothing. Greg (business partner) did it all. Greg mentioned that three of the diff mount bolts were loose so this more than likely contributed to the huge failure. He has welded some stiffener plates on the mount to strengthen it up as well. Loose bolts permit a little movement and cyclic loading followed by fatigue.

New springs should be ready in two or three weeks. New exhaust in the next Saturday or two. New Dash with zero splits coming across from England along with decent second hand door seals. $300 for all of those. Not bad really considering new door seals in the US are something like $800 each!

Greg and I have already purchased two dogleg box's 1:1 from England and now have them here. In 6 weeks we'll have another two along with two side loader LSD's. The two LSD's and two of the four 1:1 box's are going into our E9 racers. I may put one of the doglegs 1:1 into my E24. I have now decided to go M88 in the E24 633 and our supplier in the UK is looking out for a decent engine for me. Will put LSD in as well. This will all be post our annual long weekend next year. Right now I just want to keep my E24 from peeling off of the road and scaring Allan!