Bush Capital Cruise - Saturday 7 November 2009

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Benjamin Pitt

Post by Benjamin Pitt »

Sorry guys I'm now not going to be able to make it. I got a call and my commencement of work in Adelaide has been pushed forward to Monday.

It's a shame, I was looking forward to the cruise :x

I'm heading down to Melbourne tomorrow and then along the great ocean road the next. Hopefully the great ocean road is a good drive, I've never driven it.

Have a good cruise guys, I'll be looking forward to the usual great pics
:D
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Ben...

The Ocean Road is one of this country's great drives!

Although you might strike a few too many weekend travellers to really enjoy a spirited drive along that exciting bit of tarmac. But just take your time and soak up the atmosphere.

If you have time, there are some very nice stops along the way.

I've actually been thinking it would be a great drive for a Southern Sharkfest some time in the future.

Anyway, we look forward to you arriving in Adelaide.

Once you're settled we'll look at doing a local 6'er catch-up.

Safe motoring.

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

My first long distance trip in my first 6er was along the Great Ocean Road.

But this was many, many, many years ago. Certainly very scenic, and back then it was a spirited drive. I've heard much of it is now 60 zone, is that correct Mark?
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Nice photo's Ellis!

Which lighthouse was that - do you recall?

Re the 60 zones... I haven't been along the road for a little while now - so that might be the case. The big problem is that there's now so much development in the region, particularly along the section between Torquay, Anglesea and Lorne.

But there are still some very nice twisty sections where the power steering gets a real work out. And certainly once past Lorne you have the chance to open it out.

I used to live, work and surf down that way and have many vivid memories of screaming along that road in the wee hours of the morning at absolutely insane speeds. 8)

And yes, the scenery is something else, particularly if you have the time to get off the main road and explore the hills and the lush rain forests.
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Hi Mark,

I think it's Split Point Lighthouse.

The pictures are from around '93. The good old days of TRX tyres, leaded petrol, and a pretty blonde in charge of the auto reverse cassette player.

I think all 12 of the 12 Apostles were still standing then too.

Regards,
Ellis.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

No wonder you got that car sold quickly, came with a young blond!!
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

Well, all my bags are packed, eskie ready to be filled, walkie talkies and sunnies handy, a good selection of CD's, camera battery charged with empty memory card - and I think my car is ready too!

I hope the 'shower or two' they've predicted for Sydney is scheduled for after 6am, the forecast for Canberra looks great! (No snow though - Ellis??? - have I fitted my chains for nothing?)

After our drive I'll be visiting some friends in Forbes - and I'll stay there until Monday - so my drive looks something like this:

Extended Bush Capital Cruise

I'm aiming to be on time for breakfast, all things going well! Looking forward to seeing you all again!

Alex
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Excellent news Alex, sounds like you've got everything sorted. You never can tell precisely what Mother Nature has on her mind so I think you're a wise man bringing those snow chains along.

See you in the morning.

Regards,
Ellis.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

That was an excellent run. It was great to have a Mercedes drive for a change. Ellis's CE300 was the go rather than the silly E24 nonsense:D

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Paul Humpage wrote:That was an excellent run. It was great to have a Mercedes drive for a change. Ellis's CE300 was the go rather than the silly E24 nonsense:D

Geez I look good in that Merc don't I. But you know what they say, I look good in anything. Even a flannie.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Here are a couple of shots Beernut sent through.

Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Those came out bloody good Ellis. We'll have to drag Nathan along more often. He can let you drive the Merc again too. Just wear some more appropriate clothes next time you bogan. [-X
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Thanks for organising the day Ellis, even if you are a bogan yob. It's a superb part of this fine country.

It nearly got off to a bad start but once we were on the way it was a top day.

Well done to Team Serco with their 5000 km round trip from Wollongong.

Excellent to have Alex back in the fold

What a country! What cars!!

Regards
Paul
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Most excellent photos Paul.

I am crafting a fine story as we speak to explain why my hands are up in the air.

Regards,
Ellis.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

MrE wrote:Most excellent photos Paul.

I am crafting a fine story as we speak to explain why my hands are up in the air.

Regards,
Ellis.
Good man. You are the wordsmith.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Another beautiful Spring day in Capital City commenced with owners of German coupes from far and wide sharing breakfast at a trendy inner city diner surrounded by many of Capital City's finest monuments of national significance, amidst vigorous discussion of exhaust systems, tyre life, rust treatment and how early each of us had got up that day.

After breakfast was done we headed to our regular meet point, Old Parliament House, one of Capital City's most well-known monuments of national significance, where we were joined by die hard 6er fanatics Team Serco.

We unanimously decided that now was the time to have a quick go in each other's cars. I had a go in the Merc. Not bad, nice drive, very luxurious, it's got a driver's arm rest and the seat belt extends out to greet you - not even my Filthy BMW does that. Statham also had a go in the Merc. Strewth he looked good in that car, very dapper in his suit.

I then had a go in the red car. Its a manual. I've never driven a manual 6er before. Had to push the seat all the way forward to make sure I could reach that clutch properly, but fair's fair, Alex is more than twice as tall as me. Both members of Team Serco took a turn driving my car, to suss out the differences and similarities between a '76 633 and an '86 635. I think they noticed one or two slight handling differences.

But soon we headed off, Captain in the lead, providing an informative and captivating commentary of Capital City's many monuments of national significance.

Then.... DISASTER!! The Captain's car, the man in charge, the bloke supposedly running this show in the car that everybody wants.... Kaput! No jigawatts. The world's most famous brown coupe was broken down with no go whatsoever at a set of traffic lights with four luxury German coupes behind him. They were honking horns, they were shouting abuse, "Come on mate, it doesn't get much greener, come on mate, whaddya waitin' for, an invitation? Come on mate!" The Captain's sardonic wit and effervescent commentary of Capital City's monuments of national significance suddenly turned to a mellow, "I can't get me car started." :(

Team Serco leapt into action. Recognising how pitiful it looks to be in a shining, gleaming, luxury sports coupe that's broken down at an intersection, they quickly pushed the car to safety, 'popped' the 'hood', and set to work checking fuel lines, listening to fuel pumps and diagnosing electrical connections. Alex even whipped the coil out of his car (the red one, its a manual) so we could try it on mine to see if it was the cause.

In the meantime Statham leaned forward and said, "Oi, wot about them loose cables back there?" as he pointed to the pulse generator leads. They were indeed loose, they had disconnected. Team Serco plugged them back in, I turned the ignition key, and the Filthy car came roaring back to life. With big grins, high fives and low fives all round, I turned to Statham and he said to me, "Oi, do I have xxxx written on my forehead?"

With my car once again fully functional, we headed off for the second time that day.

It's a manual.

Oi. Do I have xxxx written on my forehead?

And that's it in a nutshell. Thank you all for coming along, especially given the significant distances you all had to drive to make it. And thank you all for being there for me in a flash when the car died. The day was looking in doubt for about ten minutes there, but it all turned out pretty bloody good in the end. Image

Regards,
Ellis.
Benjamin Pitt

Post by Benjamin Pitt »

Another interesting write up and calander quality photo and cars again =D>

The manual transmission really changes the nature of the car doesn't it. Though it does lose a little of it's cruiser qualities.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

great photos guys. Love the red 635!
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Excellent Ellis! Well done.

Regards
Paul
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

It was a fantastic day and drive, and great catching up again!
Some great photos there from Ellis and Paul - I'll add some not-so-spectacular ones that I took!

I had a nice and early 5am start leaving from Sydney seeing I didn't want to miss out on a big brekky and some 6-er wisdom over a coffee or two!

Only 20mins into the drive the police were so impressed with my car they pulled me over, they did comment on how good it looked but made me do a breathtest anyway, and kindly asked me to turn off my front foglights... Oops! No fine though, breathtest was fine (of course - 6er drivers are very responsible!), and I was on my happy way again to make it in time for breakfast.

We then all caught up with team Serco, and Ellis had a go at driving the manual:
All went well going forward, reversing back with everybody watching and an unfamiliar gearshift took a little bit of practise, I think we'll let him qualify to drive one though ;)!

On our merry way after Ellis' little hitch, cruising along at 2900rpm

Ellis did arrange for all road terrorists to be off the road that day, the message was delayed but at least they were all on the way out!

Driving European style (slow behind another car, into the rainclouds, through roadworks and on the wrong side of the road that is)

Not sure what side to choose

That's better!

Some sexy beasts!

Canberra's water supply

They are closing ranks and coming to eat me!

Thank you Ellis for organising, Canberra isn't that far when you're in an E24!
I hope to catch up again soon!

Cheers,

Alex
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

After the drive I drove up through Yass, Boorowa and Young to visit relatives in Forbes, it was amazing how dry and hot it got, all in the span of about 50kms...

The roads were great though, no traffic, except for the odd ute with a kelpie or some other sheepdogs on the back!

On the way back I came through Bathurst , I did a lap of honour around Mount Panorama

Back on the road via Oberon, things were very green again! (For Aussie standards anyway...)

Lots of 7's! I was still about 250kms+ from home!

All up I had a trip of 1320km, and not tired at all, these cars are made to cruise!
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

I gotcha too!

Image[/img]
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Some absolutely awesome photos guys. Good writeup too Ellis. Do you know how that cable came off? Just as well you had Paul there to diagnose the fault!

Alex: did you go the wrong way at Mt Panorama?!
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Good stuff Alex. You hit some great roads on your trip.

Ben, the connector just collapsed from old age. The other blokes couldn't find the problem and i said that when mine failed to start (as it has done now and then) i've just gone around the engine bay wobbling all the old connectors and it's always then fired up. I did the same on Ellis's and the connector fell apart as i touched it. When we held it together the car fired up instantly. Alex had some masking tape so it was stuck back together. When i had a look under my bonnet i saw that the same connector on mine was held together with masking tape too and it had been attached to the outside of the channel it should sit in with cable ties. The heat and age clearly perish the plastic. It's also in a position that is likely to wear it out with either side of the connector on either side of a metal channel with rather sharp edges.

Regards
Paul
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

Alex: did you go the wrong way at Mt Panorama?!
Errrrrr... The car was stuck in reverse after Ellis drove it? :mrgreen:
I thought people were waving at my great car - maybe not...

And look at the road on this one - Ellis was in front of Paul - I think our glorious leader forgot to release the handbrake judging by his skidmarks!