Bush Capital Cruise - Saturday 7 November 2009

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

StuM5 wrote:G'day sharks

Sorry to go off topic again but did anyone we know purchase Lot #27?

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/?id ... AAS&page=3

Cheers
Stu
It was you, wasn't it Stu.
StuM5

Post by StuM5 »

MrE wrote:
StuM5 wrote:G'day sharks

Sorry to go off topic again but did anyone we know purchase Lot #27?

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/?id ... AAS&page=3

Cheers
Stu
It was you, wasn't it Stu.
I'm not worthy...
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

For those of you who don't know much about Canberra...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... id=3652182
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

hoadie wrote:For those of you who don't know much about Canberra...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... id=3652182
I lift my glass to Sir Arthur.
Benjamin Pitt

Post by Benjamin Pitt »

I'm going to be in Canberra during that time!

I'll try and make my first cruise appearence.

Be kind on my car guys, she is a plan in progress and not concours like every else seems to have here :oops: (anyone selling an interior? Or even just the rear seats?)
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Benjamin Pitt wrote:I'm going to be in Canberra during that time!

Be kind on my car guys, she is a plan in progress and not concours like every else seems to have here :oops: (anyone selling an interior? Or even just the rear seats?)
Bollocks to the concourse, it will be great to see a new face.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Paul Humpage wrote:

Bollocks to the concourse, it will be great to see a new face.
That's excellent Benjamin, really glad you'll be able to make it. Looking forward to meeting you.

Regards,
Ellis.
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

Hi Benjamin, any sixer is a good sixer! Interior or no interior, I've been there too... Steering wheel, drivers seat and seatbelt is all you need! We all like a good project!

As for seats - have a look in this section, Chris has a whole list of stuff and I'm pretty sure he has rear seats.
viewtopic.php?t=8740&highlight=updated+parts+list

And now drivable!

I saw a nice interior on Ebay yesterday but the guy won't ship overseas...
Linky http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E24- ... 27ac6fd920

Cheers,

Alex
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Mine (Gertie) cost $5k. I've put new wheels on it so I don't keep slidding off of the road following the guys. Will do suspension in the next two or so weeks. Finding time is the issue.

Would love to see you car and love a work in progress. Mine smells like wet dog!
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Shipper 01 wrote:
Mine smells like wet dog!
And here was I all this time thinking that was your natural odour :D
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I'm now a definite in. No messing about. See you all next saturday.

Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

Great news Paul - looking forward to seeing you then!

Any further plans on breakfast, will we all meet Ellis in Canberra?
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

I'm out guys. Gertie snapped her back. Diff mount split up both sides and across the top. Never seen this happen before. Time to get the welder out. She is now on the hoist at Greg Youngs factory awaiting removal of her rear and some decent welding. Will not all happen by Saturday. Photos on bimmerforums. Still, good time to get the springs out and take them to Daniel for the new set. Have a great day guys!

& for Allan, Local muffler guy is putting through 2.5 inches at $400. sound decent?
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Bugga Josh! :cry:

Was it the diff mount itself or was it where it attaches to the chassis?

I have heard of that happening before, particularly with the early E12 cars. In fact, it apparently happened to my car with the previous owner.

Might be a good chance to ensure all is solid with the mounting point on yours.

I've seen strengthening plates bolted and welded inside the boot as a remedy.

Good luck. Make sure Gertie is all good for Albury-Wodonga next year!

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Good job you weren't fanging it miles away from home when it let go Josh. It'll be a shame not to see the fine smelling Gert.

Alex, i'll be in Canberra from friday night so won't be doing the run up from home on saturday morning. A few times when we've met at Old Parliament House we've had breakfast around the corner at a nice place in Kingston (i think) . You're the only one coming from Sydney i think now that the riff raff have fallen by the wayside so maybe Ellis can pinpoint the breakfast spot and we can all meet up there or you do your own thing and meet us at the meet spot?

I'm sure it'll all work out without the risk of an empty stomach.

Regards
Paul
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Here's the photos. Cracked up each side and across the top. Almost all of the way through but just not quite. So close. Will take a while to fix and I'll get Greg to strengthen it right up.

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Crikey Josh, pretty savage looking cracks. How'd it happen? Were you driving hard or did it just .... happen?

Alex - if there's no-one else coming from Sydney do you want to meet Paul and I for breakfast here in Canberra? How does getting here at 8-8:15 or so sound!?

If you're interested I'll sort somewhere out and put up directions.

Regards,
Ellis.
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

Hi Ellis,

I'll try and make it for brekky in Canberra, I made it there last time I came down, so I should be able to manage that again! I remember the place we went to, it might still be on the previous posts, I'll have a browse back!

Cheers,

Alex

PS - Update on the M6's coming...! Adding some things up at the moment and will get back in the next couple of days!
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

MrE wrote:Crikey Josh, pretty savage looking cracks. How'd it happen? Were you driving hard or did it just .... happen?

Ellis.
Nope, took it out for a lazy drive to my brothers. I think it's fatigue and may have been cracked some time ago. It has just grown from there. You can see in the third photo that the crack has gone up the sides and across the top. There is about 20mm of uncracked steel in the centre of the top of the mount. Another 20kms and it would have sheared through completely. Would have been flat top truck time. Was driving it to Gregs as the grinding got worse. The drive shaft looks like it has been in a lathe as it ground away on the bottom of the diff mount. Dropped about 15-20mm.

Get some good photos from the trip! Have fun!!

Josh
Serco

run

Post by Serco »

Josh,
No doubt this crack has been growing for some time, thanks you have now forced me to have a close look tonight at ours. Still some serious separation of metal, bloody lucky!
The Gong "riff raff" still intends to see the snow, are we meeting for breakfast at the cafe near the oval, same as before or P/House
Regards,
Allan
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Riff raff is a good word for people where i come from................. :D
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Paul Humpage wrote:Riff raff is a good word for people where i come from................. :D
I don't doubt that for a minute.

Very good. We have Team Serco, Team Trommel and Skidmark Statham.

Given we've been there before, we'll stick with idelic in Kingston. I haven't been back there since we last went, so I'm hoping its still there.

This is the location: Google map link here.

I'll be there from 8am, with a view to eating breakfast and still checking by the Old Parliament House meet point at 9:30am as planned.

Benjamin - wanna meet up for brekkie first!?

Regards,
Ellis.
Serco

run

Post by Serco »

Josh,
Had a close look tonight and could see no cracks.
Still some serious force needed to cause your problem, unless it has copped a T bone at some stage and gradually let go from there.
Anyway with the upgrade to 400HP you would have had to stiffen the back end anyway!!!
Regards
Allan
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

'Team Trommel' will try to be on time for breakfast!

It looks like I have just finalised my third sixer purchase...
I bit the bullet and decided to get the red M635 - 0760200 to be more precise.
I flew up to Brisbane on Monday to have a look, Malcolm has actually just put a third M635 up for sale, so I had a choice of three... For some unknown reason I was drawn to the one with the most rust, but mechanically everything major seems to be OK, the next moneypit saga has begun!

I'll put some photos up in the gallery!

Josh - Nasty break! I might be completely wrong here, but check the universal joints on the driveshaft - mine had almost totally seized up and caused my diff mount (rubber/metal one) to brake in three pieces...

Cheers,

Alex
Shipper 01

Re: run

Post by Shipper 01 »

Serco wrote:Josh,
Had a close look tonight and could see no cracks.
Still some serious force needed to cause your problem, unless it has copped a T bone at some stage and gradually let go from there.
Anyway with the upgrade to 400HP you would have had to stiffen the back end anyway!!!
Regards
Allan
Greg is of the opinion that a 5.0 litre V8 would be the perfect swap. I'm of the opinion that if you are going to go to all that trougle then why not put in either a LS1, LS2 or LS3. The 5.0 litre only puts out 185kw although torque is good. The LS1 starts at 255kw. LS2 at 302kw and the LS3 is 317kw. Still, springs and sway bars first. Greg thinks putting in an engine that is too big will make it too hard to access spark plugs etc. I'll stick to suspension first, hopefully motor next year.

Regards

Josh