Albury Wodonga Route Ideas

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

hynek001

Post by hynek001 »

Dear Ellis,

Sandie and I were at Jingellic on the weekend. There is a very pretty new section of bitumen road that avoids having to retrace the Tooma - Tumbarumba - Tooma leg.

Please see if you can amend the google map (Tour No. 2) for the following.

Driving along the Murray River Road C546 turn left onto the Jingellic Tumbarumba Road and across the bridge through Jingellic.

Continue driving along the Jingellic Tumbarumba Road which changes its name to Linden Roth Drive.

Continue driving along Linden Roth Drive through Mannus.

Continue driving along Linden Roth Drive which changes name to Albury Street into Tumbarumba. Have coffee break at Tumbarumba. Continue driving from Tumbarumaba to Tooma as per the previous map.

Peter.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

hynek001 wrote:Dear Ellis,
Sandie and I were at Jingellic on the weekend. There is a very pretty new section of bitumen road that avoids having to retrace the Tooma - Tumbarumba - Tooma leg....
Peter.
Thanks Peter,

Very good, so that takes out the Walwa/Tintaldra section?

UPDATED SCENIC TOUR NO. 2
Sandie's Scenic Tour No. 2 - (approx. 348kms)

Regards,
Ellis.
Last edited by MrE on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
hynek001

Post by hynek001 »

MrE wrote:
hynek001 wrote:Dear Ellis,
Sandie and I were at Jingellic on the weekend. There is a very pretty new section of bitumen road that avoids having to retrace the Tooma - Tumbarumba - Tooma leg....
Peter.
Thanks Peter,

Very good, so that takes out the Walwa/Tintaldra section?

UPDATED SCENIC TOUR NO. 2
Sandie's Scenic Tour No. 2

Regards,
Ellis.
Dear Ellis, Excellent. Yes it does take out the Walwa / Tintaldra leg. Would you be able to update the google maps once the Saturday morning meeting point is decided ? Peter.
hynek001

Post by hynek001 »

Sandie suggests that we book for the lunches, wherever we wish to have lunch. Her initial thoughts were the following.

Tour 1 - The shorter drive:

MYRTLEFORD
"THE BUTTER FACTORY"
(03) 5752 2300
[email protected]

Tour 2 - The longer drive:

CORRYONG
"PEPPERLEAF" WINE BAR AND RESAURANT
(02) 6076 29997
[email protected] Kerry Potoky is the proprieter.

Should we assume the shorter drive for Saturday and the longer drive for Sunday ?

Then, would you like Sandie to try to make bookings ?

Peter.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

hynek001 wrote:Sandie suggests that we book for the lunches, wherever we wish to have lunch. Her initial thoughts were the following.
Tour 1 - The shorter drive:
MYRTLEFORD
"THE BUTTER FACTORY"
(03) 5752 2300
[email protected]

Tour 2 - The longer drive:
CORRYONG
"PEPPERLEAF" WINE BAR AND RESAURANT
(02) 6076 29997
[email protected] Kerry Potoky is the proprieter.

Should we assume the shorter drive for Saturday and the longer drive for Sunday ?
Then, would you like Sandie to try to make bookings ?
Peter.
Hi Peter,

There have been no objections or alternatives so far, we all seem pretty happy with those routes for Saturday & Sunday and we appreciate your suggestions for somewhere to eat.

Based on what we've heard so far I think we're looking at around 24 people so I think it is a wise suggestion to make bookings.

Alex Trommelmans
Allan Sercombe +1
Ben Hoad
Bob Burke +3
David Granger +1
Ellis Maher
Josh Parsons +1
Peter & Sandie +6 possibly
Steve Quirke
Paul Humpage possibly
Mark Elliston

For the Saturday, according to the Google Map our route to Myrtleford is 112kms and a little over 2 hours. If we meet at Albury at 9:30-10am and aim to head off at 10:30am, I imagine we'd easily make Myrtleford by 12:30pm (the roads looks pretty clear & straightforward). Two hours sounds pretty generous for 112kms, so do you think a booking for around 12:30pm would be adequate? That should allow time for meandering along the way if necessary or regrouping if some cars get lost.

With Sunday being a longer route and Corryong being 222kms and 3+ hours away, we should probably aim to head off earlier, maybe 9:30am, and therefore make the lunch booking for 12:45-1pm.

What do you think? Do those times sound reasonable?

Regards,
Ellis.
m6dave

Sunday Drive

Post by m6dave »

Hi Guys
Jenny and I will be doing the Saturday drive but not the Sunday drive as we will be heading back home Sunday morning. BMWclubnsw are holding a track day at Wakefield park on the Sunday so we are calling in there on the way through to visit No. 1 son as he will be running.
Dave
m6dave

Sunday Drive

Post by m6dave »

Hi Guys
Jenny and I will be doing the Saturday drive but not the Sunday drive as we will be heading back home Sunday morning. BMWclubnsw are holding a track day at Wakefield park on the Sunday so we are calling in there on the way through to visit No. 1 son as he will be running.
Dave
hynek001

Re: Sunday Drive

Post by hynek001 »

Sandie has made lunch bookings as follows.

Date: Saturday 20th March 2010.
Arrival: 12:15 pm - 12:30 pm.
Town: MYRTLEFORD.
Numbers: 20 people.
Restaurant: "THE BUTTER FACTORY".
Telephone: (03) 5752 2300.

Date: Sunday 21st March 2010.
Arrival: 12:45 pm - 1:00 pm.
Town: CORRYONG.
Restaurant: PEPPERLEAF WINE BAR AND RESTAURANT.
Telephone: (02) 6076 2997.

She is awaiting written confirmation, menus and accepted methods of payment. She did mention that they are not expensive.

Peter.
hynek001

Re: Sunday Drive

Post by hynek001 »

Sandie has made lunch bookings as follows.

Date: Saturday 20th March 2010.
Arrival: 12:15 pm - 12:30 pm.
Town: MYRTLEFORD.
Restaurant: "THE BUTTER FACTORY".
Telephone: (03) 5752 2300.

Date: Sunday 21st March 2010.
Arrival: 12:45 pm - 1:00 pm.
Town: CORRYONG.
Restaurant: PEPPERLEAF WINE BAR AND RESTAURANT.
Telephone: (02) 6076 2997.

She is awaiting written confirmation, menus and accepted methods of payment. She did mention that they are not expensive.

Peter.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

That's great, thanks Peter and Sandy.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

The Butter Factory and Pepperleaf Wine Bar and Restaurant? I just put on 3kg reading that post Peter!!!! Hmmmmmmmm .....wine bar!
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

All sounds great...

However, I was wondering if we wanted to push on to Mt Beauty and Bright on the Saturday? They are 2 very nice townships in a beautifal part of the world and well worth a visit.

If we're really keen, we could even tour up to Mt Buffalo. It's a tight twisty bit of tarmac with a nice pit stop at the Mt Buffalo chalet. Good phot op.

I haven't had a chance to map it out on Google maps yet, but food for thought.

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Mark E wrote:All sounds great...
However, I was wondering if we wanted to push on to Mt Beauty and Bright on the Saturday? They are 2 very nice townships in a beautifal part of the world and well worth a visit.
If we're really keen, we could even tour up to Mt Buffalo. It's a tight twisty bit of tarmac with a nice pit stop at the Mt Buffalo chalet. Good phot op.
Cheers...
Including Mt Buffalo, Bright and Mt Beauty as part of the Saturday tour is good by me. On the map the roads look very engaging and appear to add around 130kms to our route. If we don't decide now perhaps we can see how we're going time-wise after our Myrtleford lunch.

Regards,
Ellis.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Here's what I had in mind.

By trimming a little off the return trip on the Saturday - to avoid some duplication on the Sunday... the distance and timing could work ok.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 458191&z=9

Sorry - not sure how to edit the hyperlink! :oops:

See what you think... and we can certainly make a decision on the day.

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
gwm635

Post by gwm635 »

Mark E wrote:All sounds great...

Cheers...
Hi all,
FWIW you're mad to drive these roads and not do the Tawonga Pass road between Mt Beauty and Bright, and the Mt Buffalo climb. The rest are just transport stages to get to these roads :wink:

All I ask is that you leave them until after lunch on Saturday, because due to an unexpected opening in my work calendar (and some persuasion by Peter) Bailey and I are planning on making an appearance!!

I?ve found a cheap motel room in Albury for Saturday night (Paddlesteamer inn), and Bailey and I will meet you on the drive on Saturday, and leave after lunch on Sunday. Can't wait!!!
Cheers
Garry
hynek001

Post by hynek001 »

Mark E wrote:Here's what I had in mind.

By trimming a little off the return trip on the Saturday - to avoid some duplication on the Sunday... the distance and timing could work ok.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 458191&z=9

Sorry - not sure how to edit the hyperlink! :oops:

See what you think... and we can certainly make a decision on the day.

Cheers...
Dear Mark,

The route you suggest is very good. Would you be able to update the Google maps for the meeting place and final routes so we can print them off Thursday pm. Also, a list of mobile phone number contacts would also be good so we can possibly have a drink together on Friday evening as people roll into town. For Sandie and me 0402 011 881.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

I know I?m being optimistic here but : 0416 028 413

Josh
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Dear All,

Here are details and maps for our Saturday and Sunday routes. Thank you Peter, Sandie, Mark and Garry for putting forward the suggestions for these two great tours. I've made the map links commence from Hovell Tree Park in Albury, and slightly modified Mark's route so it takes us via Allans Flat Rd, Yackandandah etc, as per Sandie's original suggestion, and so that we don't get to lunch in Myrtleford too early for our 12:15 booking.

Saturday 20 March 2010
Meet Point: Hovell Tree Park
Meet Time: 9:30am-10am
Depart: 10:30am
Lunch at Myrtleford - The Butter Factory - 12:15-12:30pm

Saturday Route - (approx 290kms)

Albury - Yackandandah - Beechworth - Myrtleford (lunch) - Mt Buffalo - Bright - Mt Beauty - Tawonga - Running Creek - Dederang - Kergunyah South - Gundowring - Huon - Bonegilla - Lake Hume Village - Albury

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 21 March 2010
Meet Point: Hovell Tree Park
Meet Time: 9am
Depart: 9:30am
Lunch at Corryong - Pepperleaf Wine Bar & Restaurant - 12:45-1pm

Sunday Route - (approx 350kms)

Albury - Lake Hume Village - Bungil - Thologolong - Mt Alfred - Jingellic - Tumbarumba - Tooma - Greg Greg - Towong - Corryong (lunch) - Shelley - Tallangatta - Huon - Bonegilla - Albury

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Great job on the map details etc Ellis - excellent work.

As I mentioned on the other thread, the meeting place at Hovell Tree Park is going to have to be the gravel area Ellis indicated in an earlier posting. The grassed area is apparently gated off and will need keys to open it. Something the contact at the Albury City Council failed to metion in all of our discussions! :roll:

Peter - good idea re the contact list. See the list below for numbers:

Alex Trommelmans: 0407 240 896

Allan & Daniel Sercombe: 0413 336 653

Ben Hoad: 0412 966 505

Bob Burke & Sue Brazil: 0412 340 398

Dave & Jenny Granger: 0408 489 936

Ellis Maher: 0413 029 675

Garry & Bailey Webb: 0410 352 443

Joshua & Rosie Parsons: 0416 028 413

Paul Humpage: 0413 047 068

Peter & Sandie Foster: 0402 011 881

Reg Wilson & Jannine Bennett: 0419 583 721

Steve Quirke: 0419 220354

Mark Elliston: 0419 552 337

As per my post on the other thread, I'm still no certainty to attend, but I keeping everything crossed!

Happy trails...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
gwm635

Post by gwm635 »

Safe travels everyone, we'll meet you in Myrtleford