Do we need a Winter Drive

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

MrE wrote:And all this time I thought it was pronounced 'Ceefax'.
Teletext clot! It's the future, embrace it.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

And all this time I thought it were spelt SeaFax!
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

hoadie wrote:
And all this time I thought it were spelt SeaFax!
Goes to show stupid lives far far beyond the borders of the ACT.
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

where's my 10 bucks?
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

m6dave wrote:where's my 10 bucks?
In Ellis's wallet hiding from the moths.
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

I should be able to join as well!
The car needs a good run, I got all my engine parts in today so it might be the last run before I'm M-ing 8)

Cheers,

Alex
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Would be great to see you there Alex. You putting in the M88??
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Car goes in for work today. Hoping to do brakes, springs and shocks. Daniel will fall over when I finally get those springs in. Then I'll call him and ask for the softer front set.....he knows his stuff!! :)

Guys: I spent all day saturday taking out the front struts with greg. We replaced the front disks, pads, removed the old shocks (one rusted and the other leaking and soft, explains handling), placed new front Bilstein sports shocks, placed in Daniels performance springs and put it all back together but ran out of time to do the rear. I'm not going to get the rears done until at the earliest, next weekend. So despite prompting the drive, I just won't have the car ready in time. Still got about 4 hours of work to do including bleeding all of the brakes. I'm happy to miss the drive or do this one or another in August or September.

As for the shocks and springs. Greg and i took the car for a test, despite the wheel alignment being way way out after the strut out operation, and it drove really well. The spring rating is fine with these new sports shocks. It cornered well and rode bumps without banging. The bum in the air will be fixed when we place Daniels rear performance springs and the rear Bilstein sports shocks. So at the moment I'm pretty happy with Daniels spring work. Really good work Daniel.

Again sorry about the drive. Hope you guys have great fun and it stays dry. Rosie sends her best.

josh
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Hey Josh, bummer about your car not being ready. It sounds like it'll be worth the wait though and having both frond and rear behaving how they are supposed to, or perhaps better than BMW actually designed if Daniel's work really is that good!
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Yes, bummer indeed Josh.

My car's in for work this week with a service and some parts of the steering set up being replaced due to old age. Another nigh on $3000 goes pooof. Hopefully it'll drive like even more of a demon when it's done.

That must have been why i was so shit at the motorkhana this year. It certainly wasn't lack of skill :-k
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

hoadie wrote:Hey Josh, bummer about your car not being ready. It sounds like it'll be worth the wait though and having both frond and rear behaving how they are supposed to, or perhaps better than BMW actually designed if Daniel's work really is that good!
It's a credit to BMW that my car performed so well when it was so sick. Without a front sway bar, with the right disk rusted on, with both disks warped and pumping air into the brakes, with the left shock still holding but rusted heavily and the right shock leaking oil and compressed easily by hand (so gone), it kept up with you guys. I'm assuming the rear is the same.

When we took it for a test drive after completing all the front works it handled like a slot car in the front. You could feel it turn in like it was on rails but then the back came around as the front sat hard and the back bounced like an old E9. Once we have that done it should be a real slot car.

So this Saturday I'll finish the rear springs and shocks. Daniel did a fantastic job. He said the fronts were way too hard on his car and were crashing on the slightest bump but he must not have the bilstein sports shocks. We hit some heavy bumps and it was firmer but still comfortable. I'll get Allan to take a test drive next time we are all together as he drove it at its worse then with a new sway bar. He'll love it!

After the weekend I'll then look at;

1. Dogleg 1 to 1 box. (August)
2. Sideload LSD (September)
3. I have a B35 1987 735 engine. I'll do a quick clean and compression test. If it is running above 150psi (below 146psi is a bad engine and I think they cam out with around 156psi) then I'll do a schrick performance cam swap, and then put that in. Should also be this year. I'll then do the extractors (have them ready) and a $500 straight through galv 3 inch exhuast. She lives indoors and only comes out 10 or so times a year so galv exhaust should last. At this stage I'm aiming for 250hp or the like.

Have a great drive guys and I'll see you at the next one.

Josh
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Sorry you can't make it Josh, but it sounds like Gertie will be one bad-ass piece of gear next time we do catch up. Just don't forget to get that air-con working too.

Mine's also at the mechanics this week for a bit of nip & tuck work. Actually its been there since last week so all things being equal it should be good to go on Saturday.

Paul, my old mate, anytime you wanna re-contest that Motorkhana outcome against me, just say the word buddy, just say the word.

-Ellis.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Is everyone still IN ?

I'm looking forward to a nice drive thru the highlands :)
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Yep, i'm still in although i might be strung out on painkillers as my back went bung yesterday and i had a tooth out the day before. It will be good to forget all that.

I saw you this morning in the 6er. You overtook me at Carlingford as we were both joining the Pennant Hills Road just after 7. I would have honked my horn but it's pretty shithouse in the truck and i would have looked like a girl. Your car needs a clean, it's lost all the shine and in the morning light i couldn't tell what colour it was. You were driving sensibly which surprised me.

See you on saturday.
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

I'm still in! Full of petrol and new batteries in da walkie talkies!

See you all Saturday!

Alex
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Paul Humpage wrote:Yep, i'm still in although i might be strung out on painkillers as my back went bung yesterday and i had a tooth out the day before. It will be good to forget all that.

I saw you this morning in the 6er. You overtook me at Carlingford as we were both joining the Pennant Hills Road just after 7. I would have honked my horn but it's pretty shithouse in the truck and i would have looked like a girl. Your car needs a clean, it's lost all the shine and in the morning light i couldn't tell what colour it was. You were driving sensibly which surprised me.

See you on saturday.
I've been driving it to work each day for the last few weeks because the Falcon needs a new exhaust and I'm waiting to get my tax done before spending any more money on cars.

I'm really enjoying it with the new tyres - it drives straight and doesn't get any speed wobble or vibrate like buggery under braking.

The car unfortunately has a lot of road grime on it and the wheels are almost black from brake dust.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Ah yes, walkie talkies, i'd forgotten until Alex said. Good man!
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Paul, will we be seeing you in this?

For a limited time only @ Trivett

2008 Rolls-Royce Phantom 2D68
Transmission: Automatic
Colour: Diamond black
Kilometres: 20791
Rego: NBH50W
Stock No: 868605
Price: $849,000
Drive away
No more to pay

This beautiful example was recently exchanged for a New Phantom Coupe. All options are fitted including the Brushed Stainless steel bonnet, teak rear deck, front and rear cameras and a full Mahogany dash. A very rare find and considering the new car price of $ 1 350 000.00 this is an extremely attractive purchase consideration. I look forward to your enquiry. Bevin Clayton 0411 555 333.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Alas the roads where we are going are a touch too narrow for the Phantom so i'll leave it at home this time.

Thank you for asking.
Serco

drive

Post by Serco »

See you all in the morning.
Team Serco
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

In like Flynn.

Dirty car too.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I've just been through the threads and i can't find what time we're meeting, apologies if i missed it.

9 for 9-30? That's the normal go isn't it for Mittagong? I'm planning on leaving home at 7-30 so i don't have to rush.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

You're as bad as that Josh character. 9am it is.

Signed Ben who is slightly pissed at a pub in Balmain.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

hoadie wrote:You're as bad as that Josh character. 9am it is.

Signed Ben who is slightly pissed at a pub in Balmain.
Sad bastard sitting in a pub in Balmain on a friday night with his laptop open. What a wanker!
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hey guys... have a great drive.

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder