I have Opened a BMW Wrecking Business on The Gold Coast

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

AusE24

Post by AusE24 »

The manual 633 Looks like a good restorer?
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

would you restore though? After building the racer the costs can just get so high. Mechanically you can develop some good skills as you go but rust work and painting are the real big money eaters. Still, love all of the sixers and that white one is seriously cool. Is that an M6 I see in some of the photos?
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi Addam... have sent you a PM re some parts I need because of this!!! :cry:
Attachments
Oops.jpg
Oops.jpg (228.87 KiB) Viewed 18636 times
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
Ozibimmer

Post by Ozibimmer »

OMG :shock: Mark
What happened mate.
Ill Text you my email address
I hope you where okay
79 E24 633CSi
80 E24 635CSi
82 E24 635csi Race Car Build (Schnitzer Replica) viewtopic.php?t=21792
82 E28 JPS (1 of 2 Ever Built)
85 E30 JPS
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Mate... first stage of leg 3 of Targa Adelaide rally on Saturday morning in the Adelaide Hills on the famous Corkscrew Road.

Wet conditions, into tightening left-hander, dab of the brakes before the apex to wash off some speed, left front & rear hit some oil, locked up all 4 & we were passengers as we skated off the road & down the embankment.

Weren't going very fast but fall down the embankment caused a lot of damage.

Luckily the big rocks didn't cause any damage underneath, but RH rear trailing arm & rim bent as they took the full force of the impact. Front right then took secondary impact distorting bumper assembly & front 1/4 panel.

Damage to sills, door & rear 1/4 thanks to several fence posts. Fencing wire stopped us from rolling onto the roof, but several strands ripped across the nose, bonnet & roof causing damage.

Chassis & all 4 corners are square & straight, but need the trailing arm to get it going. Panel, trim & paint damage will take some work.

I have special motorsport event insurance coverage, but still up for some bucks. So not sure whether to take the opportunity to spend the time and extra (unavailable!) $'s to do a total rebuild or cash out & unload it as it is.

Feeling pretty deflated at the moment.
Attachments
Oops 2.jpg
Oops 2.jpg (195.81 KiB) Viewed 18608 times
Oops 3.jpg
Oops 3.jpg (216.13 KiB) Viewed 18608 times
Oops 5.jpg
Oops 5.jpg (225.28 KiB) Viewed 18608 times
Oops 4.jpg
Oops 4.jpg (202.14 KiB) Viewed 18608 times
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

PS - Yeah, we were fine. No injury at all.

Thanks for your thoughts...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

My goodness Mark! I'm so sorry to see this, but glad to hear you're okay.

I can not imagine how deflated you feel. I know how much history you've had with that car so it's pretty hard to see it on its side there, its taken a bit of a pounding mate.

Look after yourself and let us know how things go.

-Ellis.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Well, at least your glass is still half full. I mean, you could've flipped over & then what? 8)
I see wires? Make sure you remove those larger rocks first.
Oh, and put some card board or something next to the paint Mate, to protect it from the wires?
Good luck,,,,Greg
Ps,,Ohh, I see now; the wires were in place to keep all cars on the road,,,,,except yours? :roll:
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

MrE wrote:My goodness Mark! I'm so sorry to see this, but glad to hear you're okay.

I can not imagine how deflated you feel. I know how much history you've had with that car so it's pretty hard to see it on its side there, its taken a bit of a pounding mate.

Look after yourself and let us know how things go.

-Ellis.
+1

I'm with Ellis. Love that car of yours. Kudos on rallying your 6'er and getting her out in front of the public. I know how you feel but my vote would be, if you can bring her back do it. She's a lovely car. Let us know how it goes.

Josh
Serco

OMG

Post by Serco »

Mark, hello
My mouth is still open!
Unforgiving road!.
At least it appears to be a gentle off, could have been a lot worst.
Keep us up to date on the progress.
All the best mate, chin up.
Regards,
Team Serco
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I'm still trying to figure out how those rocks didn't rip the heck out of the underside. :shock: Glad all are OK. Save the car, please! She saved you.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

Ken - I'm with you. I have no idea how those rocks didn't rip the back end out or worse still puncture the fuel tank - BBQ'd BMW!! :shock:

Just bloody lucky I guess. See the attached photo.

And 'GripGreg' - you're right, there were fencing wires and they caused a lot of damage over the nose, bonnet & roof. But one of those wires stopped us from rolling onto the roof and into the creek and causing a lot more damage. So thank God for the wires.

When the tow truck arrived, he was really good & took the tension on the car with the tow truck. Then we were able to cut the wires away without her falling down the hill!

The tow truck driver was a genius as he was able to slip her off the rocks without further damage before sliding her up the hill frontwards. Bloody amazing.

And Team Serco, yes it was a gentle off, but the pictures don't do justice to the steepness of that embankment. We landed with a big thud!

Went to the mechanics to check the car today and it would seem not only did we hit the oil with the left front & rear, we also blew the right front tyre on a small pot hole when all 4 locked up... so we had no hope! The rim ripped a scratch across the tarmac all the way to the embankment. I hope they don't charge me for fixing that!! See second photo.

Situation would seem that my insurance company (Shannons) have stepped up to the plate with the "Racing Extension" insurance I have in place and will cover all repairs up to my agreed value. I initially thought I'd be up for some serious bucks before their cover kicked in.

The only issue I now have is that repairs are being quoted on BMW new part price which will get us to that agreed value pretty quickly. Then it becomes a "do we write it off or not" question.

A good example is: I need a replacement RH rear trailing arm. Second hand price = $175 + freight from Melbourne. BMW new part price ex Germany = $1,450.45!!! You get my drift??

Anyway, the quoting process is underway and once the assessor comes to do his job, I'll have a better idea about her future. To be honest, if I could find the ready cash, I'd take the opportunity to do a full rebuild and bare-metal respray. We can only dream.

Thanks again for your kind words of support. I might start a thread in the "My Project" section to map her progress.

Cheers guys...
Attachments
Pot hole & scratch.jpg
Pot hole & scratch.jpg (112.26 KiB) Viewed 18975 times
Bloody rocks.jpg
Bloody rocks.jpg (130.83 KiB) Viewed 18975 times
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Hi Mark,

Does your insurance coverage include salvage rights? My old green Sixer had it as a default entitlement on its Shannons policy as the vehicle was more than 30 years old, meaning in the event of a write-off I'd get the payout plus the wreck.

That car wasn't insured for very much, I imagine yours would be insured for more, but it may be worth enquiring if that 30 year criteria applies with your coverage.

-Ellis.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Howdee Ellis... yes, that was discussed today and it appears that may be the case.

I just need to confirm it 100%.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. [-o<
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Hi Mark, really sorry to read about your car - I can imagine what would have been going through your mind (and stomach) as you had the accident. At least you're all physically ok I guess, but it is heartbreaking when something you've invested so much time into ends up in this state. Fingers cross it ends up being repairable back.
TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

Ouch ouch ouch!
Glad you are OK, good luck with the rebuild.
Trev
Vincent Hor

Post by Vincent Hor »

Addam, i am looking for this part. It's the E24 M-Tech electric seat side cover for the driver's side. Please see picture. Please advise if you have it.

Also sent you a PM re. My trip to Australia.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (444.39 KiB) Viewed 18840 times
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi Ben & Trevor... thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, at least we're both okay... and you're right Ben - that's the part that hurts the most. Having invested so much time, money & effort over the last 13 years or more, to see it like that breaks my heart! :cry:

Update:

As of 10:30am this morning the car was a write-off! The cost of repairs - even using second hand parts outweighed the value I had in the car.

For Ellis' benefit - I don't have automatic salvage rights as the car has to be 35 years old for that to apply. Mine's 31! So the salvage cost of the car had to be subtracted from the agreed value, and the numbers just wouldn't stack up with what was left. There's over $8000 of paint job alone!

But wait... after several frantic phone calls, the penny suddenly drops with the insurance company, & with me in turn. The policy the car was covered under whilst travelling on the closed Targa stages was a racing extension to my existing comprehensive policy.

The racing extension policy stipulates they'll pay out up to a maximum of $20,000 for repairs - regardless of the value of the car. There is no issue of salvage, and if the repairs are beyond the $20K threshold, it's then the owners responsibility to cover the additional costs.

The estimated cost of repairs is $20K! So she may yet be saved! [-o<

We're just waiting for the assessor to cast his critical eye over it tomorrow and review the quotes as they currently stand. But in light of the terms of the racing extension policy, and with a little luck they'll give the repairs the green light!

Keep your fingers crossed everyone!

Thanks again for the support...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Geez just saw this and glad u are not hurt.
Hope u can rescue the old 6. Maybe u can get another body from Addam and transfer the parts.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Mark E wrote:Hi Ben & Trevor... thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, at least we're both okay... and you're right Ben - that's the part that hurts the most. Having invested so much time, money & effort over the last 13 years or more, to see it like that breaks my heart! :cry:

Update:

As of 10:30am this morning the car was a write-off! The cost of repairs - even using second hand parts outweighed the value I had in the car.

For Ellis' benefit - I don't have automatic salvage rights as the car has to be 35 years old for that to apply. Mine's 31! So the salvage cost of the car had to be subtracted from the agreed value, and the numbers just wouldn't stack up with what was left. There's over $8000 of paint job alone!

But wait... after several frantic phone calls, the penny suddenly drops with the insurance company, & with me in turn. The policy the car was covered under whilst travelling on the closed Targa stages was a racing extension to my existing comprehensive policy.

The racing extension policy stipulates they'll pay out up to a maximum of $20,000 for repairs - regardless of the value of the car. There is no issue of salvage, and if the repairs are beyond the $20K threshold, it's then the owners responsibility to cover the additional costs.

The estimated cost of repairs is $20K! So she may yet be saved! [-o<

We're just waiting for the assessor to cast his critical eye over it tomorrow and review the quotes as they currently stand. But in light of the terms of the racing extension policy, and with a little luck they'll give the repairs the green light!

Keep your fingers crossed everyone!

Thanks again for the support...
Great news, let's hope she can be saved. I currently insure with Shannons and my policy gives salvage rights for any car over 30 years old (for which I have two with Shannons). From memory it may have been 35 years but when I first insured with them my car had just turned 31 and they agreed to add the salvage rights to the policy at no additional cost (this could have been because she was on historic plates so guaranteed low mileage). Given that she has only left the garage for one drive with the guys this year it is a pretty safe bet for Shannons.

Can I ask who you are insured with and how your racing extension policy works, and what it costs. Insuring the olds plus getting racing protection are of significant interest to me.

Finally, here's hoping you get the 6'er back on the road asap. Those wires must have really upped the paint costs.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi Josh... well here's the kicker, I am insured with Shannons too!

When I inquired about the automatic salvage rights, it was made clear that the cut off was 35 years, so I missed out by a couple of years.

But they are apparently considering bringing it back to 25 years, so I'd be double-checking with them.

The Racing Extension policy is simply a policy that is an extension to your existing Comprehensive policy and it covers your vehicle during "competition", such as drive days or circuit sprints etc in a sanctioned motorsport event.

The way it worked with the Targa rally was the Racing Extension would cover the vehicle during the closed road 'competition stages'. But during transport between those stages or traveling to and from the event would be covered under my existing Comprehensive policy.

The ironic point here is that our Shannons Comprehensive policies wouldn't cover our cars in the Targa event even though it was a non-competitive "tour" category and that very same category was sponsored by Shannons!! Go figure... :shock:

That was the reason a lot of other guys weren't prepared to run their cars in the event because they weren't covered.

Now, I wasn't charged for the policy if I didn't need it. So in previous years it was just an agreement between us for the extension cover to be activated during the period of the event. Obviously this year I have been charged and I think it was roughly an additional $100 was added to my existing policy costs. There was an additional $500 excess to pay as well.

And here's the twist. All the earlier concerns and discussions about the salvage cost of the car became a mute point, because under the terms of the Racing Extension policy, your car is only covered for up to a maximum of $20K damage and that's it, regardless of the value of the car.

So my car has been assessed and there's $23,600 worth of damage. So Shannons are writing me a cheque for $20K and it's "see ya later"!

So I'm now trying to decide whether I muck around trying to get the car repaired for the $20K or less, or if I just take the money and flip the car as it is and walk away.

I can't really justify or afford to throw more money at it to get it back on the road, so sadly I think I might be done as an E24 owner. :cry:

I'll let you know...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

sorry to hear it. keep us up to speed. Here's hoping there is still a chance she can be saved.
dimitri

Post by dimitri »

hi adam. i m wandering if you have an alternator fora 1989 635csi. regards dimitri 0408184942
Ozibimmer

Post by Ozibimmer »

New Name and Logos guys what do you all think
Attachments
logo03[1].png
logo03[1].png (137.03 KiB) Viewed 18318 times
Shopfront with logo.jpg
Shopfront with logo.jpg (108.23 KiB) Viewed 18318 times
79 E24 633CSi
80 E24 635CSi
82 E24 635csi Race Car Build (Schnitzer Replica) viewtopic.php?t=21792
82 E28 JPS (1 of 2 Ever Built)