A/C Blower transistor

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

StephenW

A/C Blower transistor

Post by StephenW »

I was out and about today and decided to turn the A/C on. Fan goes to full speed. D'oh! I knew right away the A/C blower transistor had died (the heater blower works fine). There are plenty of threads on this topic but all seem to relate to LHD cars where you drop the glovebox to access the transistor module. My question is how do we RHD owners get to the transistor module? It's a July '86 build car. Thanks.
teza85

Post by teza85 »

There is a great write up on Bimmerforum about the whole HVAC system, I just did it all on mine and the write up was perfect for RHD. The heater transitor can be accessed from the outside (under the bonnet) though.

Remove the big weather cover (I think it was 8 screws)
Remove the blower (might not be necessary but will give more working room).
You should then be able to see the transistor, It has 3 wires going in to it and 2 screws holding it in.

Once removed you can buy the unit for $100+ or buy the transistor itself from ebay for like $3 and solder it in, that is what I did.

EDIT: Oops I read it as heater not A/C ... that is a little harder, but still doable without removing too much.

You may be able to get away with just removing the panel under the stearing wheel and have access to the panel with the transistor in it, It is just below where the A/C lines go in to the unit. It has two rivots holding it in, use a pin punch and hit the centre in until they loosen (not too far or you will have to go hunting for the rods).

Then remove the little panel, once again it has three wires going to it, same procedure as above, buy a new assembly or just the transistor and solder it in (pretty easy)
If you can't access it with just that panel, you may have to remove the centre console and glovebox, not too challenging.
StephenW

Post by StephenW »

Thanks for that Teza. I know about the heater blower, that one went last year lol. If I can do it by just removing the under dash panel than that's ok, I've had that out several times fixing the instruments.