Sydney Basin Run And Picnic. 1st March 2014

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

shit 6'ers are allowed. If not, I'd never go for a drive. and I've always had a soft sport for the e23, the nose is so 6'er.

I like the idea of Trev's 635 blowing smoke. If he and I are in front of the pack for the climb, there is no chance of seeing through the smoke!!

Josh
TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

OK guys, yes she did smoke the plugs on our first drive, but that was a dodgy AFM (fixed), and yes the idle went stupid on the way to Avon due to an adjuster screw working its way loose (fixed), BUT the old girl did get me home in one piece albeit with a dose of CO poisoning and partially deaf in both ears.
Bring on the next adventure!
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Well it looks like i might have been a bit lucky with the non starting issue. Bee Emms can't replicate the problem so they will change a relay that looks like it might be the culprit so that's an easy fix if the problem doesn't arise again.

However, a month or two ago i had the camber adjust plates and other bits replaced on my front suspension as the old ones were a bit rooted. Typically the new parts have stressed some old original parts with over 300,000 kms on them and for the last couple of weeks my steering has a been a bit odd when going in a straight line, feeling stiff and not returning to centre after turning unless i steer back. It turns out that the brackets that hold the suspension together (i don't know the exact part) are stuffed. One has sheared clean off while the other is cracked so at anytime the suspension could have collapsed on me and made steering impossible. Oh dear.

The required parts are available ex Germany but Bee Emms are trying to source some locally so fingers crossed.

I remember some years ago replacing hoses under the bonnet. As i replaced each one, the next in line which was now getting proper pressure would start to fail and that one would be replaced and so on. Hopefully if i get the suspension done then the wheels won't drop off or the engine break off its mounts. Mind you, those were the fist things to be sorted years ago when i bought the car.

Regards
Paul
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Paul Humpage wrote: I remember some years ago replacing hoses under the bonnet. As i replaced each one, the next in line which was now getting proper pressure would start to fail and that one would be replaced and so on. Hopefully if i get the suspension done then the wheels won't drop off or the engine break off its mounts. Mind you, those were the fist things to be sorted years ago when i bought the car.

Regards
Paul
Classic case of mission creep. Start out to replace the fan clutch and end up with a 4 year frame off restoration. #-o
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

hornhospital wrote:
Paul Humpage wrote: I remember some years ago replacing hoses under the bonnet. As i replaced each one, the next in line which was now getting proper pressure would start to fail and that one would be replaced and so on. Hopefully if i get the suspension done then the wheels won't drop off or the engine break off its mounts. Mind you, those were the fist things to be sorted years ago when i bought the car.

Regards
Paul
Classic case of mission creep. Start out to replace the fan clutch and end up with a 4 year frame off restoration. #-o
Oh gawd. I think i shall have to be strong willed and if something breaks after this that isn't cheap then it's off to be parted out and crushed. It's been a lot of fun but once it spends more time at the mechanics than out on the road and starts eating into funds for other things then it's bye bye 6er.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Ben and I both missed this run due to breakdowns so we were chomping at the bit for a ride. This morning we had nice run through Bobbin Head and Galston Gorge. WE were going to carry on to the ferry at Berowra Waters but on approach we found out it was closed due to repairs so something must have gone bung this morning as it's not normally closed on a saturday. So we went back the way we'd come and cut across to Church Point and Pittwater for a big late breakfast.

It was bloody great to have a good drive with a mate. I'm looking forward to Bathurst greatly.

Regards
Paul
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

As most are aware my brakes fade in a day, to absolutely nothing. After spending $$$$$ to completely re-furbish all callipers and noting the front disks are new, it's rebuild brake master cylinder time.

The RHD e12 master cylinder costs around USD$500. The repair kit was $75. I bought the repair kit. It will not be shipped until April 14, which sucks.

See below. May not make the drive. Will be far harder to convince the Mrs that I can dump her and the newborn to go on a 6'er drive without, um, er, a 6'er.

Maximillian Importing Company
You have received this notification from Maximillian Importing Company because you are a registered user or you or some other registered user requested some information for you from our store.

A target ship date has been given to your order

Order #204217
Target Ship Date: April 14, 2014