Bathurst via Tarana. 12th Of April 2014

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

No worries. It's pretty compact the ladder so I can bring regardless.
Was a busy day at workshop got the 3.46 LSD in, replaced RHS front wheel bearing and gave it a long overdue oil and filter change.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Paul Humpage wrote:No worries Gaz, if i remember then i fit a 4 foot stepladder in the boot which gives a great perspective of the cars. I can just imagine going arse over tit when standing at the top of a 7 footer especially when that ape Ellis is standing at the bottom rung shaking the damn thing.
You're supposed to put Ellis on the top Paul. He doesn't weigh much so he's not likely to get as badly hurt if he hits the bottom rung.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Hey chaps I'm now locked in (bar car trouble ). Ill prob leave Friday early am and stay in or near Sydney Friday night. Also on sat will probably leave direct from Bathurst or stay somewhere close to Bathurst. I with for myself so I'm not really committed to having to work Monday. So I can take my time in way home.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

As mentioned before, more than likely out. Brake master cylinder repair kit arrives April 14, or is shipped April 14, either way I'm stuffed.

Josh
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

The ladder is for Ellis

Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Gaz, that's good. Josh, that's not so good. Ben, that's so true.

Regards
Paul
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Yeah I'm looking forward to the trip. A bit nervous about a 3000km round trip but fuck if the car is ment to be driven not just looked at.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
2I6es

Post by 2I6es »

GazM3 wrote:Yeah I'm looking forward to the trip. A bit nervous about a 3000km round trip but fuck if the car is ment to be driven not just looked at.
Mate, if your 635 is half of what LOCUTUS is, which I'm sure it is twice as good, then don't worry. I have covered 20,000km in 17 months and my little mate is just starting to loosen up nicely. Have faith my son!

Cheers Vinny
$DO || ! $DO : try
try: command not found

02 XR6 (m) 5sp (OD) 1701 D - "ENTERPRISE"

Long time lover of all hot I6's - BMW 635, Ford XR6 and the mighty Chrysler E49 six pack Charger
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

less than 2 weeks to go. Still meeting at Richmond air base at 9.930 I vaguly know where it is. Not sure whether Ill stay locally near richmond or further away somewhere
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Yep, still all good for Richmond. There is bound to be some place to stay in Richmond or Windsor close by so you're close to where we leave from. If you stay in Sydney then it's not hard to get up to Richmond on Saturday mornings.

The airbase is pretty hard to miss as it's on a long straight road and there are big military planes all lined up over the fence. There's a small carpark at the tourist information centre where we meet which is easy to find.

Ellis is coming on this drive by the way, for some reason the goose hasn't posted. I mention this as i know he's so popular and should guarantee some more participants. The post about a stationary engine bolted to a frame and running its merry way in a workshop has got nearly as many post views as this one about driving the bloody cars. What a crock of shite.

I'm not going shopping beforehand this time. Mine refused to start again last saturday in the bloody supermarket carpark just like it did on the morning of the last drive i'd planned. I walked home, got a lift back an hour or so later when the car had cooled down and it fired up straight away. Bloody annoying it is, i would rather it just shat itself and i had to have it towed so at least we could find what the issue is.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

get to the meeting spot 1hr early to let your car cool down, or everyone will leave without you Paul.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Nooooo. We don't leave mates with broken down cars behind. I can recall three separate occasions on our drives over the years when my car has failed me, and each time everyone pitched in and got me going again.

I'll be there this time Paul. Cameras, walkie talkies, knowing nods - it'll be just like old times.

-Ellis.
Serco

help

Post by Serco »

Paul,
It's the start relay when hot.
Pull it out, run some cold water over and you will be away.
Same as the Echuca run on someones 635.
Regards,
Allan
Paul Humpage

Re: help

Post by Paul Humpage »

Serco wrote:Paul,
It's the start relay when hot.
Pull it out, run some cold water over and you will be away.
Same as the Echuca run on someones 635.
Regards,
Allan
Hi Allan,
Alas it isn't as i've had that replaced. It starts fine when hot, it starts fine when cold, it plays up when it's sort of middling and doesn't do it very often. Twice in fact , both times in Stockland Merrylands multi storey car park and even then when i get it home to see if it plays up as it's run the same distance it starts on first turn.

The car refuses to fire when i have the pink slip test done as the brake measuring machines' electronics stuffs up my immobiliser which works via the fuel pump. The mechanic has to stand the other side of the workshop while i start the car before he can put the machine in to do the test. The supermarket car parks have these electronic loop things to lock up the wheels of the trolleys if you attempt to wheel them down the road so i wonder if that is doing something. That wouldn't explain the car starting when i go back later though :-k I hate the bloody alarm and immobiliser though, it was only installed by the owner before me as he was in WA where it is mandatory. I should pull the bastard out.

It was Ben's on the Echuca run, i remember you running the relay under the tap in the toilet over the road :D
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Indeed it was! Unfortunately putting the relay under the tap wasn't actually fixing the issue, it was just a coincidence that once or twice the car started ok afterwards. I replaced that relay when I got home, as well as others, and it didn't fix it.
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Not long to go now.
Do u guys mid if I bring my 13yp boy.

Also as it gets closer we'll need to exchange phone numbers etc just in case I get liost In te belangalo state forest.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
StephenW

Post by StephenW »

It starts fine when hot, it starts fine when cold, it plays up when it's sort of middling and doesn't do it very often.
That describes the fault my car had exactly. Mine got worse over time. We tried the cooling down thing too but instead we hosed the radiator. Drove the car home and it refused to start again. It turns out the distributor cap was toast and the water got under the cap and finished the job. I drove to Brisbane and back last weekend (up on Friday, home on Monday) and it didn't miss a beat. Now letting it sit for a week or so should be the litmus test. Long story short: change the dizzy cap and rotor as a first step.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

StephenW wrote:
It starts fine when hot, it starts fine when cold, it plays up when it's sort of middling and doesn't do it very often.
That describes the fault my car had exactly. Mine got worse over time. We tried the cooling down thing too but instead we hosed the radiator. Drove the car home and it refused to start again. It turns out the distributor cap was toast and the water got under the cap and finished the job. I drove to Brisbane and back last weekend (up on Friday, home on Monday) and it didn't miss a beat. Now letting it sit for a week or so should be the litmus test. Long story short: change the dizzy cap and rotor as a first step.
Thanks Steve, i shall look into it.

Regards
Paul
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

GazM3 wrote:Not long to go now.

Also as it gets closer we'll need to exchange phone numbers etc just in case I get liost In te belangalo state forest.
Bring whoever you like, as long as they're in a 6er all is good. :D

I'm on 0413 047 068 if anyone has any problems.

Regards
Paul
2I6es

Post by 2I6es »

Paul Humpage wrote:
GazM3 wrote:Not long to go now.

Bring whoever you like, as long as they're in a 6er all is good. :D

I'm on 0413 047 068 if anyone has any problems.

Regards
Paul
Paul, I think Gaz is looking into leaving hiis 13y/o in a hole in the ground in the forest (see possible wild child) and does not want to get lost trying to get out. Of course, if I am wrong I sincerely apologise. :D

cheers Vinny

Long time lover of all hot I6's - BMW 635, Ford XR6 and the mighty Chrysler E49 six pack Charger
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Vinny you are a nasty man.

its school holidays time so he has to decide whther to do a bouring trip to bathurst with the old man or some bouring stay at home shit with the old girl

perhaps he is being sent as a spy to keep me near the speed limits. one of the great desigins of the 6 is the front passenger cant see the speedo. Im sure this is not by accident
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
2I6es

Post by 2I6es »

GazM3 wrote:Vinny you are a nasty man.
It's the after effects of the surgery.
GazM3 wrote:its school holidays time so he has to decide whther to do a bouring trip to bathurst with the old man or some bouring stay at home shit with the old girl

perhaps he is being sent as a spy to keep me near the speed limits. one of the great desigins of the 6 is the front passenger cant see the speedo. Im sure this is not by accident
My guess is the latter. Significent others can be sneaky when they need to be. Having recently done Brisbane to Darwin and doing pert of the trip in the passenger seat I can tell you you don't need the speedo so long as you can see the Tacho it's not hard to calculate.

Hope you and your son really enjoy yourselves. I did Ipswitch, Sydney Canberra Adelaide and Darwin with my son three and a half years ago (he was 16y/o) and it was a great trip.

Cheers Vinny

GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

As long as he doesn't brig his music.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
2I6es

Post by 2I6es »

GazM3 wrote:As long as he doesn't brig his music.
Might be good for you. My son introduced me to Rammstein which I really enjoy and have bought three albums.

Cheers Vinny - diversity is good

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Hey Gaz

There's no problem at all bringing along your son. I'm sure everyone's quite happy for you to bring him along too and enjoy the cars. John has brought his son along a few times and even Josh rocked up one time with his young nephew Gustavo visiting from overseas.

I'm pretty sure he had a great time despite not being able to speak a word of English. I honestly can't recall whether he spoke only Portuguese or Spanish, however he certainly seemed to understand me when I pointed at josh and said "loco?"

Paul also loves the kids, and would probably be happy to take your lad for a ride in his car for a fair chunk of the day. Paul is a big fan of Rammstein so I think its a goer.

Regards,
Ellis.