M88/3 worth?

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

casho

M88/3 worth?

Post by casho »

Hi,

My first post :)

Just found this forum and I'm loving it!

Would anyone have a rough idea what an M88/3 engine from an M635i would be worth?

Cheers

Casho
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Depends on mileage.

tired, 250k plus, not working, $2.5k to 3.5k.

tired with 150k on the clock but still working - $5k to $6k.

reconditioned and a little work (as in performance work), 50k to 100k mileage but good compression. $7k.

Fully reconditioned with head and block work, new forged pistons, zero km $8.5k to $11.5k.

These engines are rare. they are going for Euro $6k to $8k overseas in good nick and $4k to $5k without ancillaries.

All of the above estimates only. If you can find a good one, buy it.

Best

Josh
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Where are youuuu??

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Location makes a lot of difference as well. Shipper is correct about rarity but they are also sought after. One or the other is good but both together makes them very expensive.

Had a client a few years back wanting one so I was lucky to find him a working M88 with euro headers for under $4k. He was very happy as he was expecting over $5K for the motor alone. I could probably find another but it will not be as cheap these days. I do find M635s once in a while for under $5K so they are out there.

The M88 are quite expensive to build right. And, again to reiterate Shippers point, if you find a good one for a good price, buy it!!

Ralph

Edit: Thanks Casho for posting location. I feel for you guys down under as your costs are astronomical compared to ours. Our volume is higher so I guess that translates to lower cost. Good Luck.
Last edited by Ralph in Socal on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
casho

Post by casho »

Josh,

Thanks for the info. Very informative!

Shane
Shipper 01 wrote:Depends on mileage.

tired, 250k plus, not working, $2.5k to 3.5k.

tired with 150k on the clock but still working - $5k to $6k.

reconditioned and a little work (as in performance work), 50k to 100k mileage but good compression. $7k.

Fully reconditioned with head and block work, new forged pistons, zero km $8.5k to $11.5k.

These engines are rare. they are going for Euro $6k to $8k overseas in good nick and $4k to $5k without ancillaries.

All of the above estimates only. If you can find a good one, buy it.

Best

Josh