Gerties home, & FAST

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Shipper 01

Gerties home, & FAST

Post by Shipper 01 »

Finally home. Faster than my Megane RS265 that set that Nurburgring FWD lap record. Scary fast. Light on the foot fast.

I AM NOW READY FOR A DRIVE. YES I'M SHOUTING. IT WAS MAY 22 2014 THAT IDIOT FOOL BUTTHOLE OF A MECHANIC TOOK MY CAR AND LEFT IT RAMMED UP THE BACK OF AN EXHAUST SHOP UNDER GARBAGE.

TREV, when are you free for a drive?????

baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Gerties home, & FAST

Post by baders »

Very, very nice Josh I bet you have a mile wide grin. Looks like that thermostat housing overflow bottle take off clears the radiator ? Or was that modified ?
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Looks great Josh, looks very mighty. Image

How long was your journey? I'll bet it was a fury of power as you hurtled your way up the highway.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

My word that's a big engine Josh. Looks like it would go. Double demerit day was a dodgy day to bring it home, you must have had to keep your eyes peeled for the rozzers. Good to see it back :D
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

baders wrote:Very, very nice Josh I bet you have a mile wide grin. Looks like that thermostat housing overflow bottle take off clears the radiator ? Or was that modified ?
It clears nicely and zero modification needed. The bad mechanic charged me for a second hand 540i radiator. It had a split and when Graeme Bell in Hastings Victoria took it for a test drive (BMW expert and BMW club of Vic member who specializes in E30 M3 race cars) he reckoned it would have drained within the hour buggering the engine. Hence the brand new radiator 540i V8. If anyone in Victoria needs the right BMW mechanic it's Graeme Bell. He noted while undertaking a 1hr drive to load up the zero km engine that it started to sound a little funny. He took the rocker cover off and found a damaged head part that was probably damaged during the engine rebuild as it was put back in. You know someone knows-there-stuff when they can hear an engine, realise it's off and go straight to the issue and fix it.

Mr E. The journey took about 10 hours, although one hour was getting from south east of Melbourne to the start of the Hume. Stopped twice for a feed and to powder my nose. It did 850km on 44.6 litres of 98 Octane. Whenever an idiot (I call them decoys) rocketed past at 130, I sat on 120 for 30 or so. She really does rocket along at 120 and 2500rpm all day. Sat cool and even in 5th at that 2500rpm, just rocketed up steep hills. She was carrying about 100kg of spare parts as well. Yesterday I also removed the air-conditioning compressor that was attached to the engine bay doing nothing as it was not plumbed in.

Paul, kept my eyes peeled but as she is yet to be dyno'd to get the correct tune I did not want to fang her. Saw about 5 guys stopped by the book-keepers heading south but no nasties heading north, at all, for 850kms. I'll book the dyno tune tomorrow for asap. I'm not after chasing the hp as stock she has 350hp and my engine has been warmed up just a little. I do want to get fuel ratios right and make sure the engine does not go pop because of a bad tune. Runs the S38B38 ECU so tune should not be too far off. The engine is big, right on 3.8 litres for the last of the e34 M5's. It weighs no more than a stock M635CSi engine though. An M5 would hit 100km in 5.6 seconds. I'm 200kg lighter so she really moves ahead.

I think my diff/box gearing is a little out. I don't need to change to third until 80. At 60, third is sitting at around 1900 rpm. I'll look for a 5 speed dogleg as the overdrive box may be too overdrive. She coasts so well and holds gears for so long I reckon I could hit 100 in second. I'll try that and see how close I get. My RS265 is a 6 speed and at 120 is on 3000rpm. It tops out at 265. I think I can amend my gearbox and diff to sit on 3000rpm at 120.

So when you are all right for a drive let me know. I'll take her out next weekend if anyone is up for it. Then it's new dash and new seat time.

jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Hi Shipper. Nice. How do you manage to get that sort of economy, it's like a prius?? I consume around 50l per 450 Km which I use as my guide to fill up - BP 98. (for those in the US I think converts to 93??).

See attached I put together on diff and gearbox ratios. Compares dogleg vs overdrive box with 3.07 and 3.45 diff for my tire size. You can do the same for other tyre sizes using one of the on line gearing calculators. The other variable of course is your torque curve (and exhaust note).
Attachments
Diff ratios.pdf
(311.89 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

jps635 wrote:Hi Shipper. Nice. How do you manage to get that sort of economy, it's like a prius?? I consume around 50l per 450 Km which I use as my guide to fill up - BP 98. (for those in the US I think converts to 93??).

See attached I put together on diff and gearbox ratios. Compares dogleg vs overdrive box with 3.07 and 3.45 diff for my tire size. You can do the same for other tyre sizes using one of the on line gearing calculators. The other variable of course is your torque curve (and exhaust note).
Fuel economy was wrong. More like 90 litres for 850kms, so 10.6 litres per 100km. Still not bad considering it is yet to be tuned. I did my original calc after 10hrs in the car and forgot the last top-up!! go figure.

Great spreadsheet. Am I reading it right? 3.45 diff, 5 speed, second gear at 6908rpm gives us 100km/h? My ecu is set to redline at 7250rpm and it pulls all of the way to this redline. Still it feels like it could easily go a 3.71 or 3.91 as she has really long legs between gears. That or swapping the 5 speed overdrive for the dogleg.
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Nice to see it up and running.
Glad it worked out in the end. It was a long road no doubt made much more difficult with a mechanic that went through a major breakdown. Things are much better there now which is a good thing at least.

The s38b38 copes with the tall gears due to the massive torque but for the overdrive box 3.07 is pretty tall. The Std m635 ran 3.73 which would probably be a good ratio or the 3.91 if you want a bit more squirt off the line.

It will be interesting to see what it makes on the dyno. Prob around 300rwhp or thereabouts.

With the dogleg the 3.07 would be pretty right on. I have it with the 3.45 and it's not bad for the revvy torque less m88 but would be too short for your engine. It revs at around 2900 for 100kmh and about 4000 on 125. When I done the trip to Sydney and back got reasonable fuel economy also. 62 ltr for 560km that's sitting at 3500-4000rpm felt like a speedboat.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

It really depends on what your preferred driving style will be. For short sharp around the city stuff you might want a higher ratio. Because I like highway and mountain road high speed work, my 3.07 and dogleg is near on perfect. Josh, is there a problem with Photobucket account ? When you get more time, I'd muchly appreciate close ups of the engine installation !
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Badders, do you want me to take some detailed shots and email to you? I think photobucket just trims to a manageable size. Normally the photos ate 2mb to 4mb so highly detailed.

You are always welcome to drop in and go over the install in person.

Josh
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Great spreadsheet. Am I reading it right? 3.45 diff, 5 speed, second gear at 6908rpm gives us 100km/h?
Correct, to be hitting 100 in 2nd with a 3.45 diff and dogleg box, you'd be pulling 6908 rpm (my tire size).

Agree with Baders on the 3.07 and the dogleg. I hummed and rr'd and hummed and rr'd deciding which way to go. In the end went with the 3.45 to keep the overdrive, but sometimes wish I'd gone for the dogleg. I let one slip through my fingers......

(In any case I accidentally binned my 3.07 crown wheel - thinking was the remnants of my Falcon diff which shat itself after just 60,000km (BA ute). Now I have an FG2 same km's just out of warranty doing un-nice changes).
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Thanks Josh, just sent you an email. I can't see your photos up there at all. Photobucket message saying the links are broken.
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

I do like the character of the 3.45 behind the dogleg as it makes it pretty urgent to drive but it's always running out of rpm. My redline is 7000 and it just misses out on 2nd at 100kmh. It would be ideal if I had another 1000rpm.

I picked up a relatively cheap getrag 420g 6 speed with the s50 bolt patten. I'm going to go all Scandinavian and get the m30/m88 bolt pattern fused into the gearbox using another wrecked box as the donor as this bolt pattern is almost unobtainable (from e34 late model m5 only).

I think someone in Sydney has fit one of these boxes behind his m30 (in e24). This will give the benifit of short spaced gears with an overdrive to keep cruising rpm down.

The dogleg /3.45 combo is the equiverlant of an overdrive box and a 4.27 ratio. Still gives a top speed around 220kmh. 2nd 3rd and 4th are really close together so it's great for a mountain blast. You can easily keep up and harass much more powerful cars that would normally blow you away in a straight line. Obviously good tyres and chassis helps.

I just recently put a set of Michelin pilot super sports on another car and for a road tyre the grip available is just rediculus compared to any other road tyre and probably better dry grip than the toyo888 without the heat cycling issues and 4wd noise. With that big torque s38 some sticky rubber will make most use of the engine
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

Hey Josh,
My first free Saturday is May 28, new shocks and steering should be in, and I'm looking forward to meeting the new and improved Gertie. Kinda hope she's got a cute bum cause that's about all we'll see of her?
Name a place and I'll be there? :mrgreen:
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Trev,

I've got a small oil leak to fix first. Found it running along the oil cooler line. Then it drops onto the front sway bar. I think it is the timing chain cover but will get it on a hoist Saturday morning and see what is going on. Not huge but leaves half an A4 page in area of oil stain so want to get it fixed.

I then want to get a baby seat retrofitted for the rear. Means cutting through the parcel shelf which is a pain but want to bring Rosie and little Isaac with me if they are free.

Rosie is back from Brazil with Isaac Friday so I'll sit down with her and plan something.

So May or June, anyone have any ideas?? Maybe a Canberra run to have Ellis show us around. Cafe, some windy roads?