Next drive?

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Serco

Next drive?

Post by Serco »

Ellis / Paul.
Weekends are a bit lonely at the moment.
Any plans for a drive soon, maybe Canberra!
Regards,
Serco
Paul Humpage

Re: Next drive?

Post by Paul Humpage »

Serco wrote:Ellis / Paul.
Weekends are a bit lonely at the moment.
Any plans for a drive soon, maybe Canberra!
Regards,
Serco
Good question. I was expecting for mine to be off the road after the middle of the month just getting some rust cut out and bit sorted so hadn't thought about any winter runs, but the work might be later in the year. Eliis is coming up next weekend for the BMW club motorkhana at Eastern Creek so we'll have a think. Be nice to go somewhere cold and with luck find some white stuff at the top of a hill so Canberra way in late June might be a goer. Watch this space.

Incidentally, i don't know if you saw this post when i went up north on me todd?
viewtopic.php?t=6800

Just as a heads up i want to do it again in the spring so was going to put something up over the next month or so just to see if any others are interested in making a weekend of it and driving up one day and then down the next. Perhaps October when the weather should be beaut. Maybe find a quieter spot to get some kip.

Regards
Paul
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Hi Serco

And my car's been off the road over the last few weeks getting things attended to. Its back now which is good as it was my plan to have things sorted in time for next weekend's motorkhana.

A day-trip to the snow is something I'd hoped to do this year. Not for skiing, definitely no chains, just for looking and a chance to get the car (and hopefully some fellow 6ers) into an Alpine environment.

I'm not sure how people north of Canberra feel about doing a day-trip to the snow and back, it makes for a long day but its not impossible. It'd be good to get an idea of who is keen. I suppose some time late June onwards would be best, snowfalls haven't arrived yet but from where I'm sitting it feels like they're on their way.

Something a bit more achievable and well worth the effort is the Wee Jasper run. There's not much to actually do at Wee Jasper other than bbq, and I haven't tried the pub there yet so I don't know what it offers food-wise, but its a great drive. Page 4 of my Filthy thread has some pics of how good the road is... (see here)

and Paul's thread shows how much fun this bit of road can be... (see here).

Again, it'd be good to get an idea of who's keen for either a snow run or a Wee Jasper run, and also which weekends are/aren't achievable.

Regards,
Ellis.
Serco

Post by Serco »

Ellis,
After watching Top Gear last night the Alpine run would be sensational.
Any day late June onwards is OK, will work around your preference.
Bring it on!
Regards,
Serco
jbd5015

Post by jbd5015 »

do you guys do any good journeys in august/september? thats about the time ill most likely be settled down and squared away in sydney. Ill be down under on July 17th (at about 6am in brisbane). Then should be in sydney by the 21st i believe.

-Jeff
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

jbd5015 wrote:do you guys do any good journeys in august/september? thats about the time ill most likely be settled down and squared away in sydney. Ill be down under on July 17th (at about 6am in brisbane). Then should be in sydney by the 21st i believe.

-Jeff
We'll make sure we do something around then for sure so you can come along. The BMW Club is having it's show and shine around then too whcih is a good day.

Once you're settled in just bung something up here and we'll arrange a day.

Regards
Paul

p.s. Don't accept a lift from Ben, he's always getting stopped by the police. :roll:
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Yep, keep in touch Jeff, we should be able to fit in a couple of runs somewhere or other while you're here. Email me when you get here too.

Regards,
Ellis.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I reckon the run out the back of Tarana to Bathurst and a few laps on the track would be good to take a holidaymaker to. Lunch at the pub etc.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Paul Humpage wrote:I reckon the run out the back of Tarana to Bathurst and a few laps on the track would be good to take a holidaymaker to. Lunch at the pub etc.
That's good thinking Paul. I've always maintained that, you're a good thinker.

We can do a sequel to Destination Unknown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AQtoPaqPiI
jbd5015

Post by jbd5015 »

That looks like it would be a great trip!! how far are some of you guys from the university of sydney? Im still dont have an understanding of how far some places are from each other. Im still not exactly sure where the location of where im living is with regards to the university, but im sure its very close.

counting down the days guys, this is going to be ridiculous.

-Jeff
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

jbd5015 wrote:That looks like it would be a great trip!! how far are some of you guys from the university of sydney? Im still dont have an understanding of how far some places are from each other. Im still not exactly sure where the location of where im living is with regards to the university, but im sure its very close.

counting down the days guys, this is going to be ridiculous.

-Jeff
Ellis is about 300km away from Sydney Uni; I'm about 10km and Paul's about 25?
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Bumpetty bump.

Another run somewhere would be the go but i'm not sure when. Ellis moved into a new house last weekend so he'll be under a bit of mortgage stress for a bit so a run towards his place would save him the tank of petrol from Canberra to Sydney and back. Maybe somewhere south, coastal and inland? The back way to Braidwood and then down the mountain to the coast and Batemans and potter southwards? Maybe go far enough to stop overnight and then back on sunday morning?

I'm open to ideas. My sister in law is here from France for a couple of weeks up until 11th so i'd like to spend the time with her but after that i'm good for all dates in October.

Regards
Paul
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

I'm not sure I'll get many chances to cruise between now and mid-November as I'm driving to Perth and back, departing Oct 18th and won't be back until around Nov 16th.

It's not so much an issue of time as trying to save a little money to put towards fuel.

I'm happy to ride shotgun though if you guys organise anything between now and Oct 18th!
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

hoadie wrote:I'm not sure I'll get many chances to cruise between now and mid-November as I'm driving to Perth and back, departing Oct 18th and won't be back until around Nov 16th.

It's not so much an issue of time as trying to save a little money to put towards fuel.

I'm happy to ride shotgun though if you guys organise anything between now and Oct 18th!
Sorry Ben, i keep on forgeting you're probably in the same boat as you haven't had your mortgage for long :oops:

You're welcome to ride shotgun with me always but i fear the time will run out. Emma's sister arrives the tuesday after the show and shine and leaves on the 11th so i can't do anything between those dates. Can we all tag along on the start of your big drive? :D

Regards
Paul
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Paul Humpage wrote:Bumpetty bump.

Another run somewhere would be the go but i'm not sure when. Ellis moved into a new house last weekend so he'll be under a bit of mortgage stress for a bit so a run towards his place would save him the tank of petrol from Canberra to Sydney and back. Maybe somewhere south, coastal and inland? The back way to Braidwood and then down the mountain to the coast and Batemans and potter southwards? Maybe go far enough to stop overnight and then back on sunday morning?

I'm open to ideas. My sister in law is here from France for a couple of weeks up until 11th so i'd like to spend the time with her but after that i'm good for all dates in October.

Regards
Paul
Aaah you're a good man Paul, always thinking of others. Money is a little tight at the moment but its only a passing phase, I hope.

Almost everything I own is in cardboard boxes so I can't find a bloody thing, and there's no phone or internet connection at the new place yet so today (back at work) has been my first chance to quickly check what's been going on here.

As for suggestions, I may be able to access a house at Tuross Head which sleeps 6 (maybe 8?) people if we want to aim for somewhere down toward that direction for an overnighter.

I also find the Mittagong/Sthrn Highlands routes pretty good as the area is reasonably central for most of us to do in a single day.

Ellis.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Paul Humpage wrote: Sorry Ben, i keep on forgeting you're probably in the same boat as you haven't had your mortgage for long :oops:
and the 5 grand I've paid the mechanic to fix all my problems :(
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

hoadie wrote:
Paul Humpage wrote: Sorry Ben, i keep on forgeting you're probably in the same boat as you haven't had your mortgage for long :oops:
and the 5 grand I've paid the mechanic to fix all my problems :(
Indeed.
Serco

Post by Serco »

Paul,
To keep things central what about a run around Goulburn, Braidwood, Marulan etc.
Or perhaps Ellis could come up with another run around Canberra.
Allan
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

The Wee Jasper run is an achievable day trip for those coming from Sydney/Wollongong area.
Serco

Post by Serco »

Captain Ellis.
Let's do it, will there be snow!
Allan
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Yeah, Wee Jasper in spring is a fantastic run. Good idea captain.
Serco

Post by Serco »

Paul,
That's why he's the Captain and that's why he works in Canberra!
Allan
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Comrades,

This is your Captain,

So if I were to propose a Wee Jasper cruise on either Saturday 18 October or Saturday 25 October, how would that fit in with your schedules?

Meet point for those not coming via Canberra could be in Yass at, say, 10am. Its only about 50kms from Yass to Wee Jasper and its all 100 zone but the road is very scenic and very enjoyable so we'd take longer than half an hour to do it.

I don't know any breakfast spots in Yass so this run won't involve a breakfast meet, but a BBQ once we're at Wee Jasper will definitely be the go.

So, the Hunt for 18 or 25 October? It will be a great day comrades, we'll sail into history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mox5m73gOK8
Serco

Post by Serco »

Captain,
Oct 18 is out for me as I will be returning from France that weekend.
Can you aim for Oct 25 if possible?
Allan
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

If it were before that I'd consider tagging along.

If it were on or after the 18th I'd say no.