Bathurst Run, Saturday 23rd August

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

jbd5015 wrote:jackie and i will definitely be there, glad its so close, thanks guys!! Ill let you know if jackies roommate is definitely coming, she said she may have a conflict on saturday.
we were just at the glebe market yesterday, so i guess we walked right by the place we are meeting at! I hope the weather does hold up, its been steadily getting nicer and nicer each day.
cheers,
-Jeff
Gday Jeff & Jackie,
It'll be great to finally meet you both!

Have you seen any 6ers around Sydney, or anywhere, yet!!??
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

amibuggnu wrote:
Aussie_6er wrote:
amibuggnu wrote:Greg,
I'm pretty sure I've got one spare window motor somewhere down in the garage. Its been in a box for a long time so I'm not sure what condition its in or whether its working, but I'll bring it up with me for the Bathurst trip. I bought it for the green car so it should be right for yours. If you don't make it on the run I'll leave it with Paul and you can collect it whenever.
Legend! Passenger or driver side? I just found some on the used parts list from the guy on the BMW Drivers Club NSW site. Seems there's two types: alloy and plastic bodied. Might have to pop the door panel to have a look.

I'll probably rock up despite all these niggles, perhaps with windows cranked, heater on and tank not quite filled all the way :roll:
Dunno!

I'm pretty sure the one I have is metal, I'll see what I can find tonight.
Greg,
I haven't been able to find it yet. I'm in the middle of a house move and I thought it would have shown up somewhere by now, but it hasn't been in any of the usual places yet. I'll keep looking.

How's the car going, any news?
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Can I come in a turbo-boxer?
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

hoadie wrote:Can I come in a turbo-boxer?
Only if there's snow.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

amibuggnu wrote:
hoadie wrote:Can I come in a turbo-boxer?
Only if there's snow.
Does it snow there? Do you think you could arrange some for that weekend?
Oz6er

Post by Oz6er »

amibuggnu wrote:
amibuggnu wrote:
Aussie_6er wrote: Legend! Passenger or driver side? I just found some on the used parts list from the guy on the BMW Drivers Club NSW site. Seems there's two types: alloy and plastic bodied. Might have to pop the door panel to have a look.

I'll probably rock up despite all these niggles, perhaps with windows cranked, heater on and tank not quite filled all the way :roll:
Dunno!

Greg,
I haven't been able to find it yet. I'm in the middle of a house move and I thought it would have shown up somewhere by now, but it hasn't been in any of the usual places yet. I'll keep looking.

Plenty of problems as mentioned before plus some new ones.
The worn tappets or rockers or whatever makes that bloody rattle under the bonnet is back with a vengeance. And no cd/radio either. :evil:
I'm resting her, fixing up what I can, aquire more spares from O/S (joy) and then hand her over to the mechanics again.
jbd5015

Post by jbd5015 »

Aussie_6er wrote:
amibuggnu wrote:
amibuggnu wrote: Dunno!

Greg,

The worn tappets or rockers or whatever makes that bloody rattle under the bonnet is back with a vengeance. And no cd/radio either. :evil:
I'm resting her, fixing up what I can, aquire more spares from O/S (joy) and then hand her over to the mechanics again.
Im guessing its the valve adjustment thats been giving you the ticking time-bomb feeling? You may want to try a different approach to adjusting the valves. Normally its done at the valve stem and rocker. At this point, the stem can erode a concave spot in the rocker, which can eventually add up to a ticking noise. The flat feeler gauge cannot take up the slack for that, as you are measuring at the stem, and the gauge cannot go into the concave spot.

SO, to take up the slack in that spot, measure at the cam an rocker instead. its a much more flat spot in terms of wear and tear. You do however have to make the spec a little tighter. i believe the spec for this style is .20cm, as i did it at .08 inches. I did this and the car sounds wonderful, so have others back home, and they are happy with the result.

It is going to be great to finally meet everybody, im definitely looking forward to it. As for seeing any sixers, ive seen 2 or 3 of the new ones, but nothing as good looking as an E24! I havent seen one in person for a while and i feel weird, i need my 6er fix!!!

-Jeff
StuM5

Post by StuM5 »

Hey Sharks

I'm still in for this one. I've managed to talk my girlfriend Amanda into coming along so we will both be there for breaky at Glebe.
Is there a car wash nearby? My car is a disgrace at present and it would be easier, time wise, having it washed while at breakfast.

cheers
Stuart
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

StuM5 wrote:Hey Sharks

I'm still in for this one. I've managed to talk my girlfriend Amanda into coming along so we will both be there for breaky at Glebe.
Is there a car wash nearby? My car is a disgrace at present and it would be easier, time wise, having it washed while at breakfast.

cheers
Stuart
Where are you coming in from? I know there's car washes around Surry Hills. I don't recall any along Glebe Point Road though - the locals are too bohemian to own cars, let alone wash them.
StuM5

Post by StuM5 »

hoadie wrote:
StuM5 wrote: Where are you coming in from? I know there's car washes around Surry Hills. I don't recall any along Glebe Point Road though - the locals are too bohemian to own cars, let alone wash them.
Will be coming in over the Harbour Bridge then down via Fish markets.
Would prefer something close, so I can walk to the cafe.

I thought it was just themselves they didn't wash
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I've got half an idea there's one on The Broadway. It used to be a Hyundai garage by the old brewery. The brewery is just starting to be redeveloped so the car wash/ garage might also be under development but you should be able to drive past that spot and it's only a few minutes walk from there to the cafe.

Edit*

I can see the bugger on Google Street View! This is the link but i don't know if this comes up as Street View

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie ... 1683202373

Its approximatley 114 The broadway on the eastern side of the road.

Regards
Paul
StuM5

Post by StuM5 »

Paul Humpage wrote:I've got half an idea there's one on The Broadway. It used to be a Hyundai garage by the old brewery. The brewery is just starting to be redeveloped so the car wash/ garage might also be under development but you should be able to drive past that spot and it's only a few minutes walk from there to the cafe.

Edit*

I can see the bugger on Google Street View! This is the link but i don't know if this comes up as Street View

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie ... 1683202373

Its approximatley 114 The broadway on the eastern side of the road.

Regards
Paul
Legend!! It's about 800M walk from the Cafe!
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Aussie_6er wrote:
amibuggnu wrote:
amibuggnu wrote: Dunno!

Greg,

Do you think you'll be able to make it Greg? I'm being selfish , i really want to see the new wheels in the flesh even if you have to rattle and bang your way to Richmond :lol: We'll all give you a push if need be.

Regards
Paul
jbd5015

Post by jbd5015 »

definitely looking forward to the trip now that there is going to be a good sized group at brekky! We arent bringing jackies roomie, but im trying to see if a buddy of mine from wales (the uk) wants to come out, he is always up for a good time, so he should fit in quite well with everyone.

havent seen an M5 yet, should be good to see one of them in the flesh down under. This is going to be great to see and hear some great BMWs!!!

-Jeff
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

jbd5015 wrote:definitely looking forward to the trip now that there is going to be a good sized group at brekky! We arent bringing jackies roomie, but im trying to see if a buddy of mine from wales (the uk) wants to come out, he is always up for a good time, so he should fit in quite well with everyone.

havent seen an M5 yet, should be good to see one of them in the flesh down under. This is going to be great to see and hear some great BMWs!!!

-Jeff
Wait till you hear Stu's M5, its unreal!! We'll definitely have to get some video footage of it this time, so far all we've managed are photos but I'd love to get some of it on video to capture the sound.

Given that we'll have passengers for this run some decent video footage should be the go.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

jbd5015 wrote:definitely looking forward to the trip now that there is going to be a good sized group at brekky! We arent bringing jackies roomie, but im trying to see if a buddy of mine from wales (the uk) wants to come out, he is always up for a good time, so he should fit in quite well with everyone.

-Jeff
I don't know if your Welsh mate will like the trip - I don't think there's any sheep out Oberon/Bathurst way, and the cows run too fast..
Oz6er

Post by Oz6er »

Paul Humpage wrote:Do you think you'll be able to make it Greg? I'm being selfish , i really want to see the new wheels in the flesh even if you have to rattle and bang your way to Richmond :lol: We'll all give you a push if need be.

Regards
Paul
Yeah I can make it. The rattle was probably pinging because I put half a tank of 98 premium in and she purred over the mountains to Leura and back yesterday. Apparently a diet of RON 91 and lead replacement/octane booster doesn't agree with her. Had I known I could've saved myself a trip and done a pickup on the way back on Saturday. Anyhow, I'll pass on brekky and meet you lot at Richmond?
StuM5

Post by StuM5 »

Hey Sharks

I haven't seen Alex put is hand up for this one. Is he not available for this cruise? I was going to meet up with him to head to Glebe.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Aussie_6er wrote:
Paul Humpage wrote:Do you think you'll be able to make it Greg? I'm being selfish , i really want to see the new wheels in the flesh even if you have to rattle and bang your way to Richmond :lol: We'll all give you a push if need be.

Regards
Paul
Yeah I can make it. The rattle was probably pinging because I put half a tank of 98 premium in and she purred over the mountains to Leura and back yesterday. Apparently a diet of RON 91 and lead replacement/octane booster doesn't agree with her. Had I known I could've saved myself a trip and done a pickup on the way back on Saturday. Anyhow, I'll pass on brekky and meet you lot at Richmond?
Excellent, see you at Richmond.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

StuM5 wrote:Hey Sharks

I haven't seen Alex put is hand up for this one. Is he not available for this cruise? I was going to meet up with him to head to Glebe.
I pmed Alex early on. He was very busy and said he would make the run if he could but he works saturdays and can't always get the day off and thought it unlikely he'd be able to this time. We'll have to do a sunday run sometime sort of halfway between Ellis and Alan so no one has a particularly long way to come or go home on a sunday arvo.

For all involved by the way, bring some warm clothes. A beanie particularly as the forecast is for cold and windy once we're over the mountains. Jeff and Jackie might be quite surprised at how cold it can be inland with a brisk southerly blowing. Mind you, their part of the US is more than likely under 6 foot of snow and -20 degrees from xmas to spring.

Ben, you will be fine with your sheep firmly on your lap. She can handle the radio. Makes more sense than your bloody endless bleating.

REgards
Paul
StuM5

Post by StuM5 »

Has anyone got a spare CB they can bring for me to use please?
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

As I told Paul earlier today, my gearbox and tailshaft are to be bunged back into the car tomorrow, so should be all set for Saturday morning.

Apparently the gearbox has been totally stripped and rebuilt, including the torque converter clutch. Labour and parts just for the tranny come to about $2000, then there's my mechanic's labour

:roll:

Very much looking forward to having the car back on the road and driving properly - it's been close to 12 months since this problem cropped up. New uni-joints and wheel bearings should make for a nice, smooth ride 8)
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

StuM5 wrote:Has anyone got a spare CB they can bring for me to use please?
Hi Stu,

I have a spare, you can borrow mine.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

hoadie wrote:As I told Paul earlier today, my gearbox and tailshaft are to be bunged back into the car tomorrow, so should be all set for Saturday morning.

Apparently the gearbox has been totally stripped and rebuilt, including the torque converter clutch. Labour and parts just for the tranny come to about $2000, then there's my mechanic's labour

:roll:

Very much looking forward to having the car back on the road and driving properly - it's been close to 12 months since this problem cropped up. New uni-joints and wheel bearings should make for a nice, smooth ride 8)
I'm looking forward to attempting to keep up with you. You'll have to let us have a lap to see how it feels. I'll try not to crash it.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

StuM5 wrote:Has anyone got a spare CB they can bring for me to use please?
I really think Stu should get himself a 6er. He's coming for brekkie, driving to Bathurst the scenic way and now wants to listen to and maybe even join in with miscellaneous and sometimes profane banter on the walkie talkie.