Wee Jasper, NSW - Saturday 25 October 2008

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wee Jasper, NSW - Saturday 25 October 2008

Post by MrE »

As discussed recently in the Next Drive thread, I'm keen to take a run to Wee Jasper on Saturday 25 October 2008. BBQ and everything. I'd really like to do it with as many shiny 6 series BMWs as possible, so if anybody knows of any, make sure you tell em to come along. For example, if any of you marvellous people out there happen to be at, say, a BMW car show or something anytime soon, and there happen to be 6er drivers there, or perhaps even 6ers as far as the eye can see, tell em you've heard about this Wee Jasper run and that its probably gonna be pretty damn cool.

Its a great road and well worth the drive if you've got the time and a car that's worth taking out for a run.

Right, these are the details, I'm only gonna say this once so listen carefully.

Destination: Wee Jasper, NSW

Date: Saturday 25 October 2008

Meet Time: 10am

Meet Point: Yass, NSW. Coronation Park on the corner of Browne St and Comur St (Yass Valley Way).

That's it. That's all you need to know.

But keep listening.

I'll be starting from Canberra with whoever I can find and taking the 50kms or so up the Barton Highway to Yass. For those who may be coming from the north, Yass is a good meet point. Its about an hour past Goulburn, directly off the Hume Highway, 3 hours all up from Wollongong and 3? from Sydney. Though I'm sure there are some, I don't know any breakfast places in Yass so I'm proposing we just meet there and get the run underway.

The 10am meet point is Coronation Park, on the corner of Browne St and Comur St (Yass Valley Way).

This is a Google map link of the meet point at Yass.
Coronation Park

The run from Yass to Wee Jasper is a little over 50kms. Its largely flat, winding, rural scenic road through areas of farmland, grazing property and open countryside. There's sections with twisting hillclimbs, winding valley descents, a great steel bridge built in 1930 crossing the mighty Murrumbidgee River, and views for miles. Some of it is your typical old Australian country road, well worn and well pot-holed, but the majority of this route is unreal. Its mostly 100 zone and great sections of it are flat, wide, smooth clean roads, in good condition with hardly any other traffic. Last time I did this run (Nov 2007) there was a short section of dirt where roadworks were being resealed, 4 or 5kms or so, but all pretty clean & smooth so nothing to be concerned about.

Its a very enjoyable drive which we take at our leisure, and we take enthusiastically. With stops for photos and to admire the view we will probably take around an hour and a half or so to get to Wee Jasper.

This is a map of the route.

Yass to Wee Jasper

Wee Jasper has electric bbq facilities at picnic areas by the river, as well as vast amounts of sunshine & lashings of fresh air. I'll be bringing bread rolls, sausages, some sort of salad and coins for the barbie. Others feel free to bring along something or anything, but I'll bring enough for all, even if it is just a sausage on a bread roll with some sort of salad. There's a small general store at Wee Jasper where we can buy soft drinks and beers and I'll bet they make a killing on the Aeroguard.

Last time there the picnic area was crawling with Army reservists, they'd chosen my weekend to conduct their rural training exercises and had covered a significant amount of the picnic & bbqing area with outdoorsy type equipment, eskies, storage compartment things, boots and lilos. There were no weapons of any description to be seen, however there were more hi-luxes, tritons, pajeros and landcruisers than I would have liked taking up all the parking spots in the shade.

They quickly recognised me as the Captain and immediately proceeded to clear the surrounding areas and allow access to the bbq itself, which was a good outcome. My friends and I had a marvellous bbq together and enjoyed some marvellous conversation.

I expect this run to be no different, apart from the Army Reserve being there.

After the barbie we pack it all up and do the awesome Wee Jasper road again, this time with 50 kms of familiarity on our side.

We'll wrap it all up back at Yass, and head home either north or south from there.

It'd be great to get as many 6er drivers along as possible, because these cars love these roads. Mind you, I've only ever done this road in a 6 series, so I imagine an M5, a Porsche, a Ford, a Subaru, any sort of vehicle, would be a blast of a run and I would strongly encourage anyone who is willing and able to come along with us for this and enjoy the ride.

If there's anything I've forgotten just let me know, and 25 October gives us just over a month to sort out any of the finer details.

I'm all ears to suggestions, and I'm looking forward to this already.

Regards,
Ellis.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

I accept that there will not be snow, but can you at least organise an Election like you did last time?
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

hoadie wrote:I accept that there will not be snow, but can you at least organise an Election like you did last time?
Lol!
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I'm on my way.
jbd5015

Post by jbd5015 »

i remember those photos Ellis!! Those roads and scenery were the ones i wanted to see in person when i got down here!!! Im too excited for this run now :D

We'll see you thursday night then, this is going to be a great weekend!!!

cheers,

-Jeff
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Wee Jasper brings out the hoon in Mr Humpage.

StuM5

Post by StuM5 »

Paul Humpage wrote:I'm on my way.
...that's about right! Geez its a 'cruise' in itself before the official cruise.

Alex, You going to able to get the saturday off for this?

...thinking, thinking about this one.

The roads do look awesome though

cheers
Stu
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

Hi Guys!

The 25th should be fine - count this red one in!

Can't wait!

Alex
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

StuM5 wrote:
Paul Humpage wrote:I'm on my way.
...that's about right! Geez its a 'cruise' in itself before the official cruise.

Alex, You going to able to get the saturday off for this?

...thinking, thinking about this one.

The roads do look awesome though

cheers
Stu
Do it Stu, the roads are great. And mate, you'll enjoy the cruise before the cruise, I always do, it's the cruise home after the cruise that gets ya. Image
Last edited by MrE on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Redaussie6 wrote:Hi Guys!
The 25th should be fine - count this red one in!
Can't wait!
Alex
Gday Alex,
Excellent, that's great news. It'll be good to catch up and I'm glad you're coming.
Ellis.
bcadmin

Post by bcadmin »

Man that looks like fun!

B
Brian F

Bimmerless :0(

------ Former Stable -----
E31 840ci
1990 525i
1984 Graphite M635
1985 Polaris M635
1987 L6
1980 633csi
jbd5015

Post by jbd5015 »

bcadmin wrote:Man that looks like fun!

B
Thats the plan!!! Can't wait for this!!! As i said, this run is the one i REALLY wanted to do and see ever since Ellis put the photos up from when he did it in Filthy Rich. Now that our bus is booked to get down to Canberra, the wheels are in motion!

cheers,

-Jeff
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I hope the Captain organises the weather with as much skill as he usually does. It's been rather glorious in the past.

You come across many flies in Oz Jeff? :twisted:

You'll find out.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Weather? Don't worry about the weather fellas.

If it's as good as this we'll be laughin'.

hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Paul Humpage wrote:I hope the Captain organises the weather with as much skill as he usually does. It's been rather glorious in the past.

You'll find out.
Did anyone warn Jeff about our ferocious flies before he headed bush? The flies at Wee Jasper are particularly bad - photo here of Adam nearly being carried away by them.

Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

hoadie wrote:
Paul Humpage wrote:I hope the Captain organises the weather with as much skill as he usually does. It's been rather glorious in the past.

You'll find out.
Did anyone warn Jeff about our ferocious flies before he headed bush? The flies at Wee Jasper are particularly bad - photo here of Adam nearly being carried away by them.

Softcock. There's not even 10 of them there. :roll:
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Yeah what happened is the bulk of the flies were on his head and shoulders and as I took the photo they picked him up, so I only got time to photograph his back.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

hoadie wrote:Yeah what happened is the bulk of the flies were on his head and shoulders and as I took the photo they picked him up, so I only got time to photograph his back.
And he was never seen again.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

amibuggnu wrote:
hoadie wrote:Yeah what happened is the bulk of the flies were on his head and shoulders and as I took the photo they picked him up, so I only got time to photograph his back.
And he was never seen again.
Good.
jbd5015

Post by jbd5015 »

ive got some military grade insect repellent i brought from home but havent used yet. 100% Deet, hopefully ill be able to see if itll do the trick!!

Flies are annoying enough, are these the biting type that are even more annoying?

not too worried, im sure if the scenery will be more than worth it!

-Jeff
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

One week to go.

jbd5015

Post by jbd5015 »

good thing jackie and i get to start our trip earlier haha. we are in need of a change in scenery at the moment, really lookin forward to it!!

see you thursday ellis,

cheers,

-Jeff
Oz6er

Post by Oz6er »

I can't be at this one. 6er's ok (no more fuel leak) but I'm working and can't get the time off. Have fun folks.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Aussie_6er wrote:I can't be at this one. 6er's ok (no more fuel leak) but I'm working and can't get the time off. Have fun folks.
That's a shame Greg. We'll miss having you there. I'm glad the 6er's back and running again but a bugger about the work.
jbd5015 wrote:good thing jackie and i get to start our trip earlier haha. we are in need of a change in scenery at the moment, really lookin forward to it!!
see you thursday ellis,
cheers,
-Jeff
Lookin forward to it Jeff.
Funny thing, the weather forecast for here on Wed is rainy, windy, 14 degrees, but Sat is supposed to be 24. Let's hope they're right.

Regards,
Ellis.

Serco

run

Post by Serco »

Back from OS today, checked out the old girl and she's ready to rumble.
Paul, should we bring our trophys to show the Captain?
See you all at 10 on Saturday.
Serco