Echuca 2009 - Sydney/NSW Convoy (Fri 27 March 2009)

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Echuca 2009 - Sydney/NSW Convoy (Fri 27 March 2009)

Post by MrE »

Hi All,

For the Sydney/NSW contingent who wish to travel to Echuca together on Fri 27 March I'm proposing we meet at Yass at 10am, specifically the Hume Highway/Yass Bypass Service Station.

Yass is about an hour past Goulburn, around 3 hours from Wollongong and around 3? from Sydney. The meet point is a great big servo accessible directly off the highway (a Caltex I think).

This is a Google map link showing the location of the service station just outside of Yass.
Yass/Hume Hwy Services

Date: Friday 27 March 2009

Meet Time: 10am

Meet Point: Hume Highway/Yass Bypass Service Station.

Please post in this thread if you'll be meeting us there so we have an idea of numbers and know who to wait for. PM me if you want my mobile number, and bring CB radios if you've got them as they help with keeping in contact while we're on the go.

According to Google maps its a bit over 6 hours (520kms) from Yass to Echuca. Halfway is approximately Holbrook, so that might be a good place to stop, check out the submarine and get something to eat at either the Holbrook Bakery or the RSL.

This should see us arriving at Echuca at around 5-5:30pm. I've nominated 10am as the meet time as it is 3 hours already from Sydney, but if people are keen to meet earlier so that we arrive earlier then I'm open to suggestions & discussion.

If there's anything I've forgotten feel free to add it here.

Regards,
Ellis.
geecee

Post by geecee »

Hi Ellis, all sounds good to me. CB's are a great idea - specially for a big group.

I'm hoping a few of us can travel down from Sydney together, as we'll all be leaving at around the same time.

Cheers,
Oz6er

Post by Oz6er »

geecee wrote:Hi Ellis, all sounds good to me. CB's are a great idea - specially for a big group.

I'm hoping a few of us can travel down from Sydney together, as we'll all be leaving at around the same time.

Cheers,
I'll be on holidays for the whole thing so I'm pretty flexible. Dunno where you innercity folks want to meet up, but previous meetups have been at the service station on the M4 at Eastern Creek, just east of the big M7 pretzel.

This was convenient when I used to live at Blacktown but now I'm further out west, on the other side of the M7. I could make a small detour I suppose, considering the kms we're going to eat up on this meet (2000ish at a guess :shock: )

Then the halfway point between Syd & Yass would be Mittagong/Moss Vale. Good spot to join up with Team Serco, yeah?

So Sydney>Mittagong/Moss Vale>Yass>Holbrook>Echuca or bust!?
Serco

Echuca

Post by Serco »

Greg,
We have a few options here:
1) Meet in Mittagong for a coffee at the usual. This means coming off the freeway and rejoining further down.
2) Meet at the large BP / McDonalds complex on the Hume just past the Illawarra Highway turnoff. From there it's about 75 minutes to the Caltex at Yass. This option is the most direct as the day will be long.
I think some of the Sydney contingent will be bunking in Canberra the night before and travelling with the Rudd express to Yass!
I suggest everyone bring ear plugs as the banter on the 2 ways will be painful, especially when Ellis plays his Willy Nelson CD's.
All the best
Allan
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Guys,

I am flexible re meeting up. So..

I'll be at the Yass Service Station at 10am so count me in the numbers to wait for but can either;

1. Stay with Rosie at my folks house in Bowral. I know Mittagong very well so can meet all there. This is preferrable for me, or..

2. I'm Inner West so can meet in Sydney anywhere really for a drive directly to Yass. I'd normally take the M5 but am happy to go via the M7.

Pick one and Rosie and I are in.

Josh
geecee

Post by geecee »

I'm happy to meet anywhere that's convenient, so one of the options around the Mittagong area is fine by me.

Cheers,
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I'm doing some secret government business in the ACT then so i'll meet you all at Yass.

Regards
Paul
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

I have a deal going down in Canberra on the Thursday, so will be joining in at the Yass meet point.

Suggestion for youse Sydney folks looking to make a convoy down to Yass: given that Sydney - Echuca is 800km and you have a LOT of driving to get out of the way, why not go for Serco's option 2, which is Sutton Forrest. Meet at 8:30am with a view to depart by 8:45am, getting you to Yass by 10:00am.

Just a thought which you can obviously ignore as I will be departing from Canberra :)
Serco

Echuca

Post by Serco »

With 4 weeks to go today I think it's time to start putting some positive plans on the table.
For the Sydney convoy let's all meet at the BP / McDonalds at Sutton Forest for a departure latest 8.45am, Friday. I will come up Macquarrie Pass and will be eating my Big Mac from 8.00am!
Ben is correct, we have a long way to go so let's head for the shortest direct route.
For the Yass to Echuca run can I suggest Paul / Ellis plan the route, lunch stops etc, they have never got us lost yet.
If anyone wants to give me a call 0413 336653
Bring it on!
Regards,
Allan
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

I'm okay with that. Rosie and I will probably crash at my parents place in Bowral. We'll leave there at around 7.30am and Suttons Forest BP/Maccas is just 20 mins down the road.

That's 2 for Suttons Forest BP/Maccas (including Team Serco)
geecee

Post by geecee »

Me too, I'll see you all at Sutton Forest for a healthy breakfast.

Cheers,
Serco

Echuca

Post by Serco »

With 2 weeks to go can those who are meeting at the Hume Hwy, BP/McDonalds, Sutton Forest on Friday 27th confirm they will be travelling in the convoy and also advise mobile numbers.
We don't want to leave anyone behind.
Remember departure is 8.45am sharp.
My mobile is 0413 336653
Regards,
Allan
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Good thing about the trip down is once we hit Victoria it's a motorway until we turnoff to Sheparton so we should make good time on the 2nd leg.

There used to be an electronic speed check gantry at the start of the freeway in Wodonga, so a good chance for everyone who's not running TRXs to check their speedos if it's still there.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

PS: I think we should set a firm depart time from Yass, eg 10:15 unless we hear otherwise from Alan.

Likewise, set a firm departure time of say 1:30 from Holbrook unless we hear otherwise from the stragglers, otherwise it'll be dark by the time we get there and we won't be able to see putting up our tents!
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

I agree with the suggestions above. Yass to Holbrook is 211kms so we should manage that in around 2 hours. The Yass meet point will be a good spot to refuel, with a view to departing at 10:15am.

Yass - Holbrook - Echuca
http://local.google.com/maps?f=d&source ... e=UTF8&z=8

I'd also like to get to Echuca while its still light because, contrary to popular belief, I've never pitched a tent before!

Remember to bring your CBs and PM me if you want my mobile number.

Regards,
Ellis.
geecee

Re: Echuca

Post by geecee »

Serco wrote:With 2 weeks to go can those who are meeting at the Hume Hwy, BP/McDonalds, Sutton Forest on Friday 27th confirm they will be travelling in the convoy and also advise mobile numbers.
We don't want to leave anyone behind.
Remember departure is 8.45am sharp.
My mobile is 0413 336653
Regards,
Allan
I'll be there Allan. My Mobile is 0414 925 540

Cheers,
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Allan has my number but if anyone else is running a bit late for the Yass meet point, call me on 0412 966 505.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Rosie and I'll be at Suttons Forest McDonalds with the guys from about 8am onwards so will be in the same convoy to Yass. I'll refill some fuel there. My contact umber for the trip is as follows.

0416 028 413
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

I've just done up a route map from Yass to Echuca. I'll print a few out and hand them out Friday morning just in case the convoy gets broken up.
Attachments
Yass to Echuca.pdf
Google Maps route from Yass to Echuca
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 405 times
Serco

Echuca

Post by Serco »

Less than a week to go, yahoo!
Ok on a serious note, I only have Geoff & Shipper confirming the meeting point at McDonalds Sutton Forest (it's a Shell complex not BP as I thought) for 8.45am departure, Friday morning.
Will there be any more?
Geoff 0414 925540
Shipper 0416 028413
Allan 0413 336653
Can't wait!
Regards,
Allan (team serco)
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Looking forward to seeing Team Serco and Team Sydney at Yass with our man from the government. And Paul.
Serco

echuca

Post by Serco »

Greg, (Aussie 6er)
Are you joining us at Sutton Forest?
Regards,
Allan
Shipper 01

Re: Echuca

Post by Shipper 01 »

Serco wrote:Less than a week to go, yahoo!
Ok on a serious note, I only have Geoff & Shipper confirming the meeting point at McDonalds Sutton Forest (it's a Shell complex not BP as I thought) for 8.45am departure, Friday morning.
Will there be any more?
Geoff 0414 925540
Shipper 0416 028413
Allan 0413 336653
Can't wait!
Regards,
Allan (team serco)
Allan,

As we will be on first name terms during the weekend and my wife has no idea who Shipper is and already thinks I'm weird enough, just put me down as Josh. Again Rosie and I'll aim for 8am leaving Burradoo around 7.45am. You should be able to hear me coming!! Really need to put that on the "to fix" list.

Regards

Josh (Shipper and I think "Team Brazil" as my wife is Brazilian)
Oz6er

Re: echuca

Post by Oz6er »

Serco wrote:Greg, (Aussie 6er)
Are you joining us at Sutton Forest?
Regards,
Allan
I was going to shoot straight through to Yass, thinking this other stop was for the folks heading from the inner suburbs & the sth coast.
But rereading the location it's on my way so I'll be there.
Serco

Echuca

Post by Serco »

Greg, good morning.
Fantastic, I will be at Sutton Forest around 8.00am for 8.45am departure.
Can we have your mobile number?
See you soon.
Regards,
Allan