BM Conversions, Sydney

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Mark E

BM Conversions, Sydney

Post by Mark E »

Hey guys...

Good to see you haven't been sitting on your hands and have organised another cruise for this weekend. I hope it goes well.

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, but I thought here was as good as anywhere on the site.

There was a great article in a recent edition of Australian Classic Car regarding the rebuild of an Alpina B10 replica originally for a Martin Dibb from Canberra. The car started out as a stock 1986 635 auto, but no expense was spared to rebuild it to Alpina B10 spec. I don't know if you've seen it, but the car looks great.

Does anyone know the car or the new owner Athol Lubbe in Brisbane?

I'm actually trying to track down the company "BM Conversions" and the 2 guys (Volker Guenter & Ludwig Finauer) who did the engine work on the car. My research has so far turned up nill. Does anyone know of BM Conversions in Sydney, or if the guys are still in business somewhere else and how to contact them? They apparently all worked for Frank Gardner's JPS BMW touring car squad.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
BMM635

Post by BMM635 »

Hello Mark, unfortunately BM Conversions does not exist anymore, it was run by Volker (who unfortunately is now deceased) and Marek, i don,t know what Marek is doing now as i have not heard of him since those days.
Ludwig and Marek worked for Frank, Ludwig now lives on the south coast of N.S.W.
Peter.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Thanks for the heads-up Peter.

So that leads me to ask... if I wanted someone to do a similar B10 spec performance engine rebuild for me with similar knowledge and experience as the former BM Conversions... where would I go?

Any recommendations? And I'm happy to consider anywhere on the Eastern seaboard to get the 'right' job done.

I have one or two possible options here in SA, but I want to be absolutely sure I make the right choice.

Thanks again...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Bee-Emms up in Hornsby do engine and gearbox swaps with later model engines and if they can't help you regarding a B10 then they're very friendly and might have a suggestion.

http://www.bee-ems.com.au/aboutus.htm

Regards
Paul
BMM635

Post by BMM635 »

Hello Mark, i do all my own engine and fabrication work, i have several BMWs among other things, but if i were to go to anyone i would go to Ludwig, i feel that you are looking for a performance motor (mod. head cam, throttle bodies exhaust, etc) and BMs as Paul suggests are very good, but i feel that they are more service orientated, i do have contact details for Ludwig.
Peter.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

The Guy from Alpina Australia (see link) can import a reconditioned 254hp alpina B10 engine for you.

http://www.alpinaaustralia.com.au/history.htm

This gentleman Ludwig is this also the gentleman known as Pip, who built Jim Richards engines? If it is then Pip has a very big hp 6'er race engine for around $10k if I remember correctly. Pip also lives down on the south coast so we may be talking about one and the same. Came out from Germany in the early 80's to work on engines with the JPS team?

Josh
BMM635

Post by BMM635 »

Shipper 01, Hi, Pip Barker worked for Frank, but Ludwig Finauer came from BMW Germany as you suggest in the 80s, and Ludwig is the engine man, he was bought out to do the M1 sixes in the group C car and then the M3s for group A.
Peter.
bmw6

BM Conversions, Sydney

Post by bmw6 »

Hi Mark,

Just noticed this post and your comments re this article, "Does anyone know of this guy Athol Lubbe??"

Well yes, we do here in Qld. Athol is one of our most valued memebrs of the 6 series register here in Qld because he has such extensive knowledge of the history of the 6 series BMW's here in Australia. Recently, the register had a social meeting at Athol's place and we got to see this magnificent car. the car was complianced in 1987 and has travelled just 9347 klms. It is ABSOLUTELY IMMACULATE !!!

When the bonnet was lifted the engine bay looked as though it was brand new. There was not a trace of road grime anywhere. The car is kept in his garage and under a purpose built car cover and does not really see the light of day unless it is a very special occasion. We are currently in talks with him to see if he will agree to display it at our BMW Club's Show of excellence this year. I'll keep you posted as to how we go.

Now having said all that, Athol and Janet also own another 6 series which gets driven almost on a daily basis and that is the one we see far more often on regular outings. If you are ever up this way Mark, let me know because I'm sure Athol would be most agreeable for you to see the car.

Cheers
Greg Tymms
6 series register Qld
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

BMM635 wrote:Shipper 01, Hi, Pip Barker worked for Frank, but Ludwig Finauer came from BMW Germany as you suggest in the 80s, and Ludwig is the engine man, he was bought out to do the M1 sixes in the group C car and then the M3s for group A.
Peter.
That makes sense. Was JR's jps 6'er a SOHC or the M1 derived engine?
BMM635

Post by BMM635 »

Shipper 01, Hi, the group c car had flared wheelarches and ran a M1 4valve Motorsport race engine, but cams made Frank drop the compression down to 10.5 to 1 and the motor had to lie at the 30 degrees of the std 635 which made the dry sump more difficult to sort as the M1 originally was upright, this was to help the local red and blue products as the BMW was to be a real threat as these 3.5ltr M1 motors made about 490 bhp, they only started twice in this format
Then cams adopted the new group a rules, the cars were 2 valve and from memory JR drove them in either form.
Peter.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

So the Engine Pip has may be the 490hp M1 based or the SOHC based engine. What did the later SOHC engine produce and was it a standard 3.5 or did they increase the displacement? My business partner met with Pip down the south coast to talk engines as we are preparing two E9's for the historic sports car class, 1969-1977. The E9 3.0CSi pre qualifies unlike Peter McNamara's 3.0CSL which apaprently is still on 'T' plates (temporary). However Peter is still fighting CAMS. CAMS argue that the CSL is a race car for the road and not the other way around but yet there are 4 911RS's racing in the same category. The CAMS rules are a little subjective and need to be cleared up. They state that;
1. The car model must have a racing history in a sports car class during 69-77.
2. The exact car you drive does not necessarily need a racing history.
3. You cannot use a race car and seats, console, fittings etc must remain on the car.

Now if it cannot be a race car persay then Point 2 above needs to be amended to suit as it permits a sports racer to participate. I guess you would just need to put back all of the seats, fittings and trim mayhaps.
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

It is with much sadness that I post this in relation to the aforesaid BMW Alpina B10 of Athol Lubbe.

It has been sold !!!

I received an email from Athol offering to sell that beautiful car, but due to my crappy computer malfunctioning I was unable to access my emails for a week. So early this morning I finally found the email and immediately rang Athol to buy it, but alas it was sold last night!

I have been in mourning all day and will regret not being able to buy this car forever!!!!!

Although I have not seen the car in person for over a decade I have heard various eyewitness accounts of its present condition and was prepared to sell my left kidney to get it.

I remember Martin Dibb building this car over a decade ago when I was still in Canberra, it is one glorious motor vehicle.
Matt @ Snowy Mountains of Australia
http://bigcoupe.com/members/ozbmw
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

What did it go for? You do realise that Alpina B9's and B7's are still available with one or two appearing each year on Ebay. Ebay.de has a B7 at the moment at around $32k. Looks immaculate! Ebay.co.uk currently has a B9 that needs a little love but mostly a little pain here and there.

Alpina Australia can still get you a B9 or B10 engine. This year I have seen one B7 (out of the e28) and one B9 engine for sale on Ebay. Note also that a numbr of japanese sites have B9's for sale for around $20k. Being pre88 cars it is easier to get them here and a Ro Ro from japan to Australia is fairly cheap. The only problem you'll have is that most of the above items are LHD.

So, try this link following. 43.8k miles, lhd but just $18.5k!

http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/7400/ ... -sale.html
OJ

Post by OJ »

Interesting. I thought that B9 production stopped around 84 or 85. By 1988 they were certainly B10s in most places. My motor is a UK 1986 one and is stamped B10 motor and the ECU is marked as that as well. So I wonder if it a local Japanese rebuild?

OJ
Barry

Post by Barry »

Guys,

Athol Lubbe agreed to sell the B10 to me.

I was interviewed before he agreed.

I am now the very, very proud owner of the car.

I began my love affair with German cars in 1986 while working in Kaiserslautern, Germany. I swore that one day I would own a Porsche 928 and a BMW CSi.

Dream came true as I have a 81' Porsche 928, a 94' Porsche 928 GTS, and the magnificant Alpina Anthol cherrished for so long.

I am looking forward to every opportunity to showing these cars.

Cheers,

Barry
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Congrats Barry. Looking forward to seeing some pics and also seeing it in the flesh at Albury next year :)
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Yeah... congratulations Barry on a sensational purchase.

We are all very green with envy! :mrgreen:

As Ben mentioned, it would be stunning to have you and the car join us in Albury next year for our next Aussie 6 series gathering.

Check out the 'Fests Down Under' section of the forum for more details.

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
Barry

Post by Barry »

Ben,

Thanks for the invite.

The car can be seen at:
http://www.e-24.ru/eng/yours/list/41744.shtml

Cheers,

Barry :wink:
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Barry I just checked out your car at the link you provided, love it. Cannot wait to see it in the flesh!!
Rob5678

Post by Rob5678 »

That is a great colour , the car looks great . Congratulations