BMW Motorkhana - Eastern Creek Skidpan - Sunday 9 Aug 2009

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BMW Motorkhana - Eastern Creek Skidpan - Sunday 9 Aug 2009

Post by MrE »

I'd like to encourage anyone in the vicinity to come along to the NSW BMW Club's Motorkhana on Sunday 9 August 2009. Its held at the skidpan at Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney.

Paul and I have done this twice before, in 2008 and 2007, and its great fun. Note that this is not organised by us, its a NSW BMW Club event, so you've got to be a member of the NSW club and all registration and organisation of the event is managed by them. They don't require you to do it in a BMW, pretty much any car is welcome, but you've got to be a member of the club.

I'm not affiliated with the club or anything, I just know how much Paul and I enjoy it and it would be really cool to have some of our other 6er mates along to have a go at it with us.

The good thing is that there's practically no wear & tear on the car, its all done on the wet concrete skidpan purpose-built for fanging and sliding around. Your car will get dirty, splashed with water, but unless you're a complete idiot your car will not get damaged (famous last words!)

Its a full day event, they usually set up four or five different circuit layouts using witches hats, you get three goes at each layout and your best time is recorded to give you an overall result and placing at the end of the day. The last two times Paul and I have been neck and neck with our results so we'd like some other like-minded people with like-minded cars to give us a run for our money. Most of the other participants are in lighter, nimbler, more modern vehicles like M3s, Z3s, WRXs, Audis, Hondas, etc, so we really want to have a go against some big, heavy, bulky, old school luxury sports coupes!

Registration is done through the NSW BMW Club website (www.bmwclubnsw.asn.au/calendar.shtml). They haven't put up the registration forms yet but as its only a month away I expect it will open shortly. I'm not sure what it costs but I'll keep checking the website and update this thread when registration is open.

So keep the date in mind and come along and have a go!

Here's a video of Paul and I at last year's Motorkhana (video opens in a new window).

Regards,
Ellis.

UPDATE: Entry forms are now online.

BMW Club webpage:
http://www.bmwclubnsw.asn.au/calendar.shtml

Motorkhana Entry Form (pdf file):
http://www.bmwclubnsw.asn.au/entry_form ... y_Form.pdf
Last edited by MrE on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I'm looking forward to this, it's always good to get a chance to safely fang the 6er about with the arse hanging out all over the shop. We'll still get slaughtered by the wife in the wagon though unless i sabotage her tyres again.

REgards
Paul
e28rusty

Post by e28rusty »

that looks like a blast!

I liked the sportbikes in the background too 8)
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

As much as I would love to join you two I will be in Thredbo August 9 to 14. Are you sure you do not want to delay until the December motorkhana?
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Hi Ellis, are you in any way associated, affiliated or otherwise have connections to the BMW NSW Drivers Club?
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

hoadie wrote:Hi Ellis, are you in any way associated, affiliated or otherwise have connections to the BMW NSW Drivers Club?
Hi Ben,

I am a member of the NSW BMW Drivers Club, but my membership is classified a 'Country Membership' as I do not live in NSW. As such I never attend any of their day and weekend drives, dinners, picnics, observation runs, monthly meetings or social activities, nor do I vote in any of their AGMs.

My continued membership allows me to take advantage of this most excellent Motorkhana event. I take it you are not a member of the NSW BMW Drivers Club for precisely this reason?

Regards,
Ellis.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Shipper 01 wrote:As much as I would love to join you two I will be in Thredbo August 9 to 14. Are you sure you do not want to delay until the December motorkhana?
I've been talking to Mother Nature and I'm pretty sure all the snow at Thredbo will be gone by August 7. Sorry to put the kibosh on your apres skiing mate, but you may as well give that a flick and come on down to Eastern Creek. You know you want to.

The 3rd Motorkhana is scheduled for 8 November, so that's a definite maybe.

Regards,
Ellis.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

MrE wrote:
hoadie wrote:Hi Ellis, are you in any way associated, affiliated or otherwise have connections to the BMW NSW Drivers Club?
Hi Ben,

I am a member of the NSW BMW Drivers Club, but my membership is classified a 'Country Membership' as I do not live in NSW. As such I never attend any of their day and weekend drives, dinners, picnics, observation runs, monthly meetings or social activities, nor do I vote in any of their AGMs.

My continued membership allows me to take advantage of this most excellent Motorkhana event. I take it you are not a member of the NSW BMW Drivers Club for precisely this reason?

Regards,
Ellis.
Dear Ellis,

You are correct about my membership status. As I am an unsociable person I decided that the NSW BMW Drivers Club was not for me. I do still have my badge and membership card, so I guess I could sneak in on the day as a member of your fan club. Shall I wear my cheerleading outfit?
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

hoadie wrote:
MrE wrote:
Hi Ben,

Regards,
Ellis.
Dear Ellis,

You are correct about my membership status. As I am an unsociable person I decided that the NSW BMW Drivers Club was not for me. I do still have my badge and membership card, so I guess I could sneak in on the day as a member of your fan club. Shall I wear my cheerleading outfit?
Dear Ben,

But you're such an excellent driver, at least Shipper seems to think so, it would be most excellent to have you there with us, with your mates, using your E24 as the competitive driver's car it was intended to be rather than the dust-covered garage queen it seems to be.

I would much prefer to have you come along and take part in the day with us rather than having you rock up in a cheerleader's outfit claiming to be a member of my fan club.

Regards,
Ellis.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

MrE wrote:
Shipper 01 wrote:As much as I would love to join you two I will be in Thredbo August 9 to 14. Are you sure you do not want to delay until the December motorkhana?
I've been talking to Mother Nature and I'm pretty sure all the snow at Thredbo will be gone by August 7. Sorry to put the kibosh on your apres skiing mate, but you may as well give that a flick and come on down to Eastern Creek. You know you want to.

The 3rd Motorkhana is scheduled for 8 November, so that's a definite maybe.

Regards,
Ellis.
If I have the choice of a spa and wine with my wife or skidpan with you I'll take the kibosh wife option mate. I love my car but nothing beats spa time! I'll keep November 8 in the books!
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Entry forms are online now.

BMW Club webpage:
http://www.bmwclubnsw.asn.au/calendar.shtml

Motorkhana Entry Form (pdf file):
http://www.bmwclubnsw.asn.au/entry_form ... y_Form.pdf
Last edited by MrE on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

My entry is in the post.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Paul Humpage wrote:My entry is in the post.
Excellent. I knew I could count on you.

I utilised fax machine technology.