Where/When Will Southeastern Sharkfest '14 Be Held?

Pictures and talk about US fests and gatherings with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BMWtyro

Where/When Will Southeastern Sharkfest '14 Be Held?

Post by BMWtyro »

Just curious because my wife and I would like to make advance plans to attend this event with our first Shark . . . bad paint and all.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

I don't thing anything has been established yet. You might try a PM to Kai
(xing6666).
---------------------
1985 M635 #1998 (gone but not forgotten)
1994 850CSi (also gone but not forgotten)
1985 M635 #589
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Thanks, Ed.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

I'm hoping it will be scheduled to coincide with the Vintage in Winston-Salem.
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Yes, rmorin, as they did it three(?) years ago. That would be great.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

BMWtyro wrote:Yes, rmorin, as they did it three(?) years ago. That would be great.

Jeff
The problem with combining the two then was a BMWCCA objection and refusal to insure the SE Sharkfest/Vintage combination. Seemed REALLY petty to me at the time on BMWCCA's part. SESF procured their own insurance for subsequent SESF events ...... so maybe this is an option ?
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Ed Lyerly wrote:
BMWtyro wrote:Yes, rmorin, as they did it three(?) years ago. That would be great.

Jeff
The problem with combining the two then was a BMWCCA objection and refusal to insure the SE Sharkfest/Vintage combination. Seemed REALLY petty to me at the time on BMWCCA's part. SESF procured their own insurance for subsequent SESF events ...... so maybe this is an option ?
Perhaps it could be immediately before or after the Vintage?
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Well, wherever/whenever they decide to hold it, Wifey and I plan to make a special effort to attend.

This year we drove to Blowing Rock, NC to join them (prior to our own Shark purchase), only to learn that the Sixer display was cancelled . . . due to snow . . . in May! :shock:

So we are definitely in for 2014.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

BMWtyro wrote:Well, wherever/whenever they decide to hold it, Wifey and I plan to make a special effort to attend.

This year we drove to Blowing Rock, NC to join them (prior to our own Shark purchase), only to learn that the Sixer display was cancelled . . . due to snow . . . in May! :shock:

So we are definitely in for 2014.

Jeff
My wife and I are planning to attend the Vintage in WS. Hopefully we can make the Sharkfest as well. Will be great to get back to NC for some good barbecue! It is rare up here in MD.
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

We always attend The Vintage, Randall, so we will definitely see you there in May; please stay in touch.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

rmorin1249 wrote:....

My wife and I are planning to attend the Vintage in WS. Hopefully we can make the Sharkfest as well. Will be great to get back to NC for some good barbecue! It is rare up here in MD.
Just leave your baby blue paraphernalia at home, :wink:

Last Vintage was a bit of a cluster, too many cars in too little space. I guess that is good in a way, but it has outgrown the winery location. So many '02's..

Hopefully Scott is taking that into account, maybe back downtown in Old Salem would work better. That is such a cool location for a show. I know it takes a lot more work with the locals to pull it off....
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Sprocket wrote:Last Vintage was a bit of a cluster, too many cars in too little space. I guess that is good in a way, but it has outgrown the winery location. So many '02's..

Hopefully Scott is taking that into account, maybe back downtown in Old Salem would work better. That is such a cool location for a show. I know it takes a lot more work with the locals to pull it off....
Sprocket,

Scott has emailed me that he is indeed returning The Vintage to Old Salem Village next May. But . . .

The 02 Group has vowed to boycott because the show has grown "too big" due the many Bimmer models now eligible under the long-standing "25-year-old-design" rule. I think that's sad since there is plenty of space for everyone in Old Salem, and I enjoy seeing the 02s as well.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

BMWtyro wrote:
Sprocket wrote:Last Vintage was a bit of a cluster, too many cars in too little space. I guess that is good in a way, but it has outgrown the winery location. So many '02's..

Sprocket,

Scott has emailed me that he is indeed returning The Vintage to Old Salem Village next May. But . . .

The 02 Group has vowed to boycott because the show has grown "too big" due the many Bimmer models now eligible under the long-standing "25-year-old-design" rule. I think that's sad since there is plenty of space for everyone in Old Salem, and I enjoy seeing the 02s as well.

Jeff
This is too bad, but I'm willing to bet some 02 folks will show up.
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

What a crock of ....

They can have their own show too, if they want to do the work (see: Sharkfest)

Where does it say "'02's only?" I may have started that way, but the more the merrier, right? Now, when they let the E36's in, well... And I am a fan of the model, have had several, and currently own one, but it will be a loooong time before I will consider it a "Vintage" model.

Whiney babies.... you can tell 'em I said so. :P

Wandered a little off-topic, I have. Sorry.

see you at Sharkfest next year, wherever it may be, hopefully.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Make the trek out to CO for Drive 4 Corners ;)
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
xing6666

Post by xing6666 »

Hello all! Someone directed me to this thread so I thought I would shed some light on the plannings for the 2014 Southeast Sharkfest event. I can confirm for sure that we will be not holding SESF in conjunction with The Vintage. The Vintage is a great event and we had a lot of fun the years we joined them - I would not necessarily rule out doing it again sometime in the future.

That said, the biggest problem with holding SESF together with The Vintage is that it's just too darned big. The Sharkfest group is a great GREAT group of people - over 12 years, we've literally grown up with some of our members - the Wingate's, the McNeil's, the Arnolds and there are others I'm forgetting... and now I have my very own 2-week old that will also get to grow with Sharkfest and all of the great folks who come every year. I absolutely love that "smallness" aspect of our event and becoming too big actually works against that wonderful togetherness. My impression of The Vintage was that it was a GREAT car event... but it was so big I never saw the same person twice. That is not how Nat or I envision SESF... at least not on a regular basis.

For everyone's planning, it appears that Southeast Sharkfest '14 will be held on the first weekend of May. This is not completely confirmed/subject to change, but it appears relatively firm at this point. That gives us some good event separation from The Vintage (time-wise) for those of you who wish to join both events. We will not be in Winston-Salem, NC, that is for sure but venue is otherwise TBD. Gotta find those driving roads and supportive police departments! :)

Feel free to contact me with any questions at [email protected]. Again, I have to reiterate that I have a newborn, so response delays may occur, but I promise I will get back to everyone. Can't wait for my first Southeast Sharkfest with my own son!
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Kai,

Thanks for filling us in.

Wifey and I are excited about attending SharkFest wherever it is held, so best of luck in finding the right location for us. We live in western NC, so if we can help in any way please don't hesitate to call upon us. Unless/until I hear otherwise, I'll keep that first weekend of May open.

And congrats on your newborn!

Jeff Dreibus
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Thanks for the update, Kai. Hope to see you and your family in May.
Ed Lyerly

Southeast Sharkfest - date is weekend of May 3rd, 2014

Post by Ed Lyerly »

---------------------
1985 M635 #589
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Thanks for posting the link, Ed --- good to see that E31s will now be formally included as well. We'll see you there, then . . . wherever "there" turns out to be.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

OK, it's February, what is the official location of SESF? Hope everyone is doing well. It has been a H**L of a winter in the mid-Atlantic. Here's hoping for Spring! =D>
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

---------------------
1985 M635 #589
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Thanks, Ed; count us in. We'll see you there!

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Just received Kai's email. Awesome location! Well done.
xing6666

Post by xing6666 »

Update is posted here:

viewtopic.php?t=22658
Kai Xing
-85 M635CSi - Diamondschwartz
-03 M5 - Carbon Black
-70 Chang Jiang 750 Sidecar - OD Green
http://www.bmwsharkfest.org