Drive 4 Corners 7th Annual - Aug 25, 2017 - Purgatory!

Pictures and talk about US fests and gatherings with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

tschultz

Drive 4 Corners 7th Annual - Aug 25, 2017 - Purgatory!

Post by tschultz »

It’s time to start setting our sights on 2017 Drive 4 Corners! With a new year, the D4C team is proud to present the 2017 event dates as well as a change in our event location. With the vision to improve the event as a whole as well as for a different event vibe and feel, the D4C organizing team has found a new, unique venue that will step up the quality of the event as whole!

What is Drive 4 Corners, you ask? it is an annual informal gathering of BMW enthusiasts focused on a road-trip adventure in the Rocky Mountains. It gets you out of the heat of the summer to a scenic mountain destination. D4C aims to connects BMW enthusiasts from across the nation and provide a friendly event and weekend getaway, no matter what BMW they drive. For more info, visit this page.

Date: Friday, August 25-27, 2017

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

For the 7th annual gathering, D4C will take place at Purgatory Resort in north Durango, CO. This resort operates a ski destination in the winter as well as a summer getaway destination in the summer. This location was selected with hopes to improve the lodging and accommodations for all D4C participants as well as providing access to scenic mountain roads in the near vicinity. The ascent to Purgatory is an excellent two lane road, perfect for D4C caravans as they approach their final destination. US 550 north through the historic town of Silverton up to Ouray, CO is known as the Million Dollar Highway and is a unique road worth driving. It is a two lane road dubbed the San Juan Skyway and Scenic Byway with multiple 10,000ft passes. This route will serve as our Saturday extended drive with a lunch stop in Ouray, CO to explore the unique shops and restaurants the town has to offer.

The Drive 4 Corners team is very excited for this change as it will bring a new element to the event as a whole.

Reserving this venue means that event registration price has increased to $80 per vehicle (early bird pricing), however we have struck a deal with the hotel with reduced lodging costs to offset the increase. Another great part about the change in venue means that the lodging and accommodations are much broader. The property includes individual hotel style rooms at a great rate, as well as group style suites that promote more of a community atmosphere.
To see all of the information about the resort and lodging rates, please visit this link.

Some photos from D4C 2016:

As always, the D4C team will organize a fun filled weekend focused around the BMW’s we love to drive, and all of the great friends we have made in the process of owning these machines. Come on out for 2017 and enjoy this ‘driving-destination’ weekend and make some new friends! We can’t wait to see what new great people and unique BMW’s arrive for 2017 and we hope you choose to join us this August!

Go directly to Registration!

Three Months and Counting - Reserve Your Spot Before They Are Gone!

Cool drinks, late nights and busy schedules mean that sometimes we forget about small details.

One of those details may have been your hotel reservation for your stay in Purgatory at Drive 4 Corners this August! Please be sure to register at the Purgatory Resort before they are completely full. Please remember to reserve your room so you don't have to scramble leading up to the event.

For more hotel information, follow the link below.
https://www.purgatoryresort.com/

With just about 70 cars registered, our event is slowly filling up. Event participants will be treated to a unique mountain atmosphere at Purgatory along with scenic views and the opportunity to explore historic Silverton, CO. It is going to be a great one! As always, keep that Desire to Be Driven.

If you haven't registered yet, be sure to do so! http://drive4corners.com/event-registration/

-Drive 4 Corners Team
Desire to Be Driven
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
tschultz

Re: Drive 4 Corners 7th Annual - Aug 25, 2017 - Purgatory!

Post by tschultz »

The start of Drive 4 Corners 2017 is only one month away and that means that final event preparations are coming together. We hope you are finishing any last minute repair work on your BMW so that it can be ready for the trek to Purgatory, CO. We can't wait for you to join us this year along US 550, also known as the Million Dollar Highway. It will be a great break from the heat of summer and will hopefully be a time to meet both old and new friends, as well as sharing the passion of our BMW ownership.

Group caravan information will be shared in the upcoming weeks if you are interested in driving down to the Resort in a group on Friday, August 25th. It seems we will have Dallas, Denver, Colorado Springs, Gilbert, and Albuquerque caravans.

If you haven't seen already, the weekend event schedule has been posted. Take a look at our most recent website post to review this schedule as well as the activities offered on the property of Purgatory Resort. The hotel is getting prepared for our event and is willing to accommodate a car wash station as you all have come to expect.

Additionally, don't forget to reserve your lodging if you haven't already! The facility will fill up as we approach August, and you best chance for lower rates may be diminished. As an added perk, most of the lodging has some sort of covered parking or garage option, so you can feel like your car will remain protected and secure when you are not using it.

Compared to years past, our Saturday event will be slightly different from what you may have been used to. US-550 is not conducive to a spirited group drive since there are sharp drop offs single lanes either direction and limited passing zones. So we will be doing a group gathering and photo location Saturday morning prior to a day of individual excursion. There are plenty of sites along the Driving Tour route that will be distributed, but for those who want something else, there are plenty of other activities to enjoy. The Resort has Alpine Slide, Zip Line, Ropes Course, Mini-golf, mountain biking, and Frisbee golf from 10:00-6:00pm every day.

Additionally Durango and the surrounding area has hiking trails, and outdoor activities like horseback riding, ATV's, paddle boating, and other activities if you decide to find a separate activity.

http://drive4corners.com/purgatory-activity-guide/

We hope you are excited for the event this year and can't wait for you to Drive 4 Corners with us!

'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

[-o<

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Would be great to meet you if you thought about joining! :mrgreen:
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Thanks Tom. You know I've always wanted to attend. Still working on getting there but it will be on the fly with no real advanced planning!! I want to see Mesa Verde as well and use that to convince my daughter to go next year.

Divine intervention is currently not necessary but I'm praying anyway

Ralph

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

A mostly succesful trip for me but an absolutely wonderful first time. Tom and his group put together an excellent event in a stunning venue. I have a few pics but the ones below are from the highway between Durango and Silverton. Very nice drive with good corners but a few steep drops without guardrails. The drive further north on the highway to Ouray was actually scary. A tire over the line means it's over the edge and you're likely heading down a steep nearly vertical incline.

Met some great people and saw some good old friends so the event was excellent. Unfortunately the AC in the car quit 3 hours into the trip. I wasn't expecting much as I replaced 1 leaking oring to be able to charge the stock system that had not been run in probably 10 years. It was more of a system evaluation as opposed to actually making the system work. I was not actually planning on the e24 as the participant vehicle so it was pressed into emergency service. Amazingly the stock system worked well at first. I venture to guess the compressor seal is deteriorated as the system slowly lost the charge. I will probably repair to stock

Looking forward to next year. Mesa Verde was beyond description or pictures as you simply have to be there to appreciate it. Thanks for the great time Tom.

Ralph
IMG_1351.JPG
IMG_1351.JPG (164.72 KiB) Viewed 14926 times
IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1358.JPG (126.59 KiB) Viewed 14926 times
IMG_1360.JPG
IMG_1360.JPG (148.47 KiB) Viewed 14926 times

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Glad you could join us!

I apologize that I didn't have a chance to see your car, not to mention sit down and chat for a while! Obviously our Saturday is one of the more busy days, but it was great to meet you and great to see that you were able to join. I will have some photos and video shared in the upcoming week(s) but figured I would share a few:

Our main photographer will also be a while before he can get them edited and shared officially.

Here's one from our extended drive Saturday (I didn't stick with the large group):

And a few from Social media!

Extended Drive excursion and lift tour (Telluride, CO):
Image[/
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Gosh, looks amazing, thanks for posting the pics.

That scenery is unbelievable, really stunning. Looks like perfect weather and lots of horsepower.

How many people/cars attended?
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

79 cars this year and likely about 125 people. We had fewer car gatherings just because of the new venue-- so always some room to improve but it looks promising enough that we will likely return...
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Absolutely stunning Tom. Must have been a great day !
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

With the new venue we did not have quite as much car related focus, but we plan to rememdy this for 2018--Purgatory is looking like it may be our home for that event.

We are adding photos on and working on another evnt highlight video, but for the mean time enjoy some event photos:

More here and still being added: http://drive4corners.com/2017-photos-added-daily/
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Ralph in Socal wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:38 pm Thanks Tom. You know I've always wanted to attend. Still working on getting there but it will be on the fly with no real advanced planning!! I want to see Mesa Verde as well and use that to convince my daughter to go next year.

Divine intervention is currently not necessary but I'm praying anyway

Ralph
Ralph, Check your pms please.
Thanks,
Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)