Northern Tools vs Harbor Freight

Basic needs related to restoring a 6er including
Electronics, Bodywork, Welding, Painting, Engine Swap, etc
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Northern Tools vs Harbor Freight

Post by sansouci »

Ever notice that the tools seem to be very similar? NT seems to be more costly however, but they do have more shop clothing. My preference is for www.workingperson.com for workshirts, overalls, etc.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Northern Tools vs Harbor Freight

Post by hornhospital »

Yes, definitely noticed many of the tools at NT are the same as HF, but 50% more costly (or more! :shock: )

I see that workingman.com carries Dickies shirts and pants. I wore Dickies uniforms for 28 years supplied by the machine shop, and when I retired I just bought the same thing from Walmart, (minus the company logo, of course). The navy (winter) or khaki (summer) "stain release" short sleeve shirts with two pockets, and the navy work pants. They're a dollar or so more at Walmart than at workingman.com, but there's no shipping, so it balances out. That "stain release" is kind of a joke around here. Apparently they never crawled under an E24 wearing those clothes. Almost every work shirt I have has some sort of stain on the front that won't come out from my belly rubbing on the underside of a car. :wink:
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Northern Tools vs Harbor Freight

Post by bpoliakoff »

A partial listing of "on sale" tools from Northern Tool came with my copy of Hemmings this month. To my eye, the tools didn't seem much different , but the prices were substantially higher than Harbor Freight. Besides, at harbor freight you can get your hands on the tool and see what you are buying.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.