BMW REMOTE LOCK AND ALARM?

Basic needs related to restoring a 6er including
Electronics, Bodywork, Welding, Painting, Engine Swap, etc
red5nic

BMW REMOTE LOCK AND ALARM?

Post by red5nic »

Hey there-

I've seen a factory alarm/remote lock mentioned on the M6 registry. Can anyone tell me what the factory remote lock/alarm looked like and where its located on an 87/88 M6?

Thanks
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: BMW REMOTE LOCK AND ALARM?

Post by Pod »

This is operated by a "key" which compromises five rotateable (and re-programmeable?) wheels on a central spindle. This is inserted into a socket which is located to the left of the rear number plate. There is a red warning lamp in the body of the socket and a further one located next to the driver's exterior door handle. I've had several E24s with this system, but none of them have ever worked properly.........................

I wonder if any member of this forum has a system which is still operational :-k
nick88highline

Post by nick88highline »

Yes, me! I got mine working earlier in the year because the owners manual states (and I'm not joking): "This system provides a very high degree of protection against thieves". =D>

The two critical parts that will cause it not work are the blue or black control box (basically an enhanced OBC relay box) and the magnetic key lock thingy. Both can be had new, but plenty of second hand control boxes are always on offer, but forget about getting the magnetic key lock second hand. I bought a new magnetic key lock from Germany whilst the Euro rate was good and that fixed the system. The control box can suffer from all sorts of issues, some minor and some major, but I have a few of them just in case.
BMW 635CSiA (1988)
BMW i3 (2016)
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (2000)
Morris Minor 1000 (1968)
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Good to hear that!

Maybe it overcomes the problem of the theft alarm system linked to the OBC, which can be overcome if you know how - as BMW surely must have known its shortcomings (but I'm not about to post that on this forum :lol: ).

As a matter of interest, how much did the key & lock cost - and were you supplied with one or two keys?
nick88highline

Post by nick88highline »

The current BMW price is £360 (inc VAT) for the magnetic key lock. You don't get any keys with it, they're extra. :shock:
I bought mine at the very reasonable price of 291 euros :-&
The exchange rate was better in those days.
I already had a magnetic key so used that. I'm not sure whether it's possible to code two keys the same given the twirly little magnetic things may not be marked.
I've made some modifications to the setup so it's much harder to to disable the alarm.
BMW 635CSiA (1988)
BMW i3 (2016)
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (2000)
Morris Minor 1000 (1968)