Full Exterior Restoration Costs

Basic needs related to restoring a 6er including
Electronics, Bodywork, Welding, Painting, Engine Swap, etc
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Full Exterior Restoration Costs

Post by sansouci »

I just had an eyeopening experience. I went to a well known local restoration shop to inquire about re-doing the exterior: new paint, rust work, new rubber trims, glass-out, etc. All the way down to the metal with new primer, factory match bronzit beige metallic.
Took a deep breath after he said it would be between 100-150 hours so labor would be $10K. Materials and subcontracting another $5K. Parts (OEM and aftermarket) for things like window gaskets, metal trims, trim clips, etc. - up to about $5k.

I think I need to dial back the "scope of work"

Admittedly, this shop turns out show winners..............
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Full Exterior Restoration Costs

Post by hornhospital »

That sounds about right. A friend of mine had his '88 M3 restored by a shop in Atlanta. This picture in no way does it justice. The Diamantschwarz Metallic paint is spectacular (as is the whole car). Just the paint job (same steps you outlined) was $28,000. No, those aren't paint chips on the front. It's light reflections.
Attachments
88 M3.jpg
88 M3.jpg (278.64 KiB) Viewed 11182 times
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

sansouci,

I had my 6 painted by Steve route 303 in rockland county.

The guys this past weekend in Va, our yearly "Idiotfest" trip

complimented on the paint job as super duper. If you want, you could take a trip up to Rockland

and see my car. Or, I'll meet you half way. Had some damage to repair on the right quarter from a falling tree

limb.

Repair, full trim strip, front & rear windows, some small rust repair, I'm very very satisfied. $7500

Oh, yeah same color as mine bronzit beige metallic
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Those numbers are more in what I had in mind. Maybe later this month when the leaves turn, the wife and I will take a trip up there.
Ken Weinstein AKA "sansouci" ( a misspelling of the french "without a care")
Sansouci
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

PM sent
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Shipping a car can be about $500 each way. If the cost reduction of painting by a far away shop is more than a couple grand, then it could be worth sending the car off. However, a shop would have to be CRAZY well known and reputable for me to even begin considering such an option. :-k

Mind you that driving your car somewhere else for painting, and then flying back home might be a better (certainly more enjoyable) way to do it. I think it would be a great adventure to meet the person doing the work, leave your pride and joy at their shop, and come back to see it beautifully redone.

Then drive that beautiful thing home. \:D/

Again .... we are talking CRAZY well known and reputable shop. 8-[

I will be able to put my M6 away for a while, when I get the other car projects done. That is the time when I will strip it down and send it off for some body work and full repaint.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Jose,
With all the horror stories I've read about shop "misbehavior" I'm more inclined to go local so that within a few hours driving time, I can stay on top of a complex and expensive project.
--Ken
Sansouci
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

If you'd live close to the Mex border and if you had the car taken apart, they can do the same job for a quarter of the price or even cheaper. A friend of mines took his Camaro to Tijuana, they charged him $1,500 for paint job and they left the car looking amazing. I think some people as for permits to take the car down, but it's quite pricey.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I'm with you on that, Ken. I would want to be close enough to monitor the goings on.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Pauly Walnuts

Post by Pauly Walnuts »

My E28 is in paint now. It's mostly just a respray with a few small holes filled for the euro bumpers. I did all of the disassembly and they aren't doing the engine bay or door jams (they're already in good shape). The 150-200hr mark is also what I was quoted. I went to several reputable shops and was quoted anywhere from $4k to $8k. After seeing some of the work this shop has done in the past, I chose them for $6k.

I highly suggest disassembling it yourself. Not only will it give you greater knowledge (and appreciation) of how the car is put together, but it can save you anywhere from 1k-2k.
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

Pauly Walnuts wrote:I highly suggest disassembling it yourself. Not only will it give you greater knowledge (and appreciation) of how the car is put together, but it can save you anywhere from 1k-2k.
1+

Definitely agree, you get to know the car better yourself and you can prep it even better. The more you prep the car yourself, the more you will save. It could take from a couple of days (depending if you're only doing exterior, takes less time). And you can always fix your smalls dents, Ect. I'm sure those won't take up too much time either way. Cheers
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Nobody has stated the most obvious course of action. Do it yourself :wink:
Pauly Walnuts

Post by Pauly Walnuts »

Pod wrote:Nobody has stated the most obvious course of action. Do it yourself :wink:
If you have the resources, and most importantly patience, for sure.

For me, body work is like roofing a house, after you do it once you'll never want to do it again.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Pauly Walnuts wrote:
Pod wrote:Nobody has stated the most obvious course of action. Do it yourself :wink:

For me, body work is like roofing a house, after you do it once you'll never want to do it again.
Yes, but as you say you're spending $6k on the work, that sort of money can buy some really good quality equipment, with change - and you'll have it for the next job etc! On the other hand, if you are prepared to blow ,000s of $$$s every time you want a car painted, then good luck to you!
Pauly Walnuts

Post by Pauly Walnuts »

Pod wrote:
Pauly Walnuts wrote:

Yes, but as you say you're spending $6k on the work, that sort of money can buy some really good quality equipment, with change - and you'll have it for the next job etc! On the other hand, if you are prepared to blow ,000s of $$$s every time you want a car painted, then good luck to you!
Equipment is one thing, having the space and ability is another.