JB Weld Extreme Heat

Basic needs related to restoring a 6er including
Electronics, Bodywork, Welding, Painting, Engine Swap, etc
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JB Weld Extreme Heat

Post by sansouci »

I need to patch a hole in the front of the rear muffler where the twin mid pipes enter. Anyone have any experience with JB Weld Extreme heat? At this point is it more of a hair line fracture, and welding rust isn't feasible. I would, of course, scrape and sand any loose material before the repair.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Jono B good

Re: JB Weld Extreme Heat

Post by Jono B good »

When I owned my e28 (M20) the water pump was so corroded at the hose mounting points that it had to be repaired with JB weld, and it held. Currently my oil pan on my shark has been repaired by someone, and it had been repaired with JB weld, I am not so sure about this holding as my oil pan weeps like a mo fo, but the water pump repair worked for 3 years remarkably!
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Yesterday, I took down the aluminum shield covering the pipes just before the rear muffler. There is also a hole between where the two pipes enter the rear muffler. I think I will reinforce the JBWeld with some copper or stainless steel mesh as the rear muffler is NLA.
Anyone with good experience with VHT or other heat resistant paints? The muffler has a good galvanized finish but the pipes are getting grotty.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

The only thing I've done with VHT was paint calipers on previous vehicles, it lasted a long time but I brushed it on and put thick coats on. I sprayed into the cap and proceeded with a brush. It looked great. VHT should be fine under there, just make sure you have a clean surface, and mask out the other areas. And scuff it up a bit with sand paper, give it some tooth. You should be golden. As for the JB weld on that area my only concern would be exhaust pressure might blow it out, your mesh idea is a good one. There are fiberglass repair kits as well that could be used instead of JB weld.
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~