Hex Plus

Basic needs related to restoring a 6er including
Electronics, Bodywork, Welding, Painting, Engine Swap, etc
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hex Plus

Post by sansouci »

I may be slow to discover this, but there are hex head tools with a different design, designated "Hex Plus" or "Hex +". I saw these on youtube and made by Wera (a German manufacturer). The design has a slightly different shape to reduce deformation when turning a cap screw and reduce camming out. Some folks after removing cap screws with our allen head sockets replace them with grade 8 hex bolts. Here's another reason to buy more tools.

If you have them and can comment, please chime in.
--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hex Plus

Post by Da_Hose »

The only way you I see it having a larger contact area, is that when the screw head DOES deform, it deforms into the shape of the larger contact path.

If you buy high quality hex wrenches, with tighter tolerances, they fit the screw heads better, which will also ensure greater contact. That hex-plus sounds kind of gimmicky to me. I'd have to see it in action to trust there is a big difference.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hex Plus

Post by bpoliakoff »

For kicks, a kind of emergency cure figured out many years ago for an Allen wrench problem. The hex of a bolt head can be used as a makeshift or problem Allen wrench and usually fits quite snug. A vice grip on the shank also gives some nice turning leverage.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.