Plastic spanner tool for metal caps on metal valve stems

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DRPM635CSi

Plastic spanner tool for metal caps on metal valve stems

Post by DRPM635CSi »

My painted Alpina wheels have bolt-in metal valve stems with metal valve caps attached. I find I need two ring spanners to safely undo the valve caps to top up the tyre pressures. Doing this makes me nervous though because one slip with a metal spanner and I'm going to scratch my painted wheels. I haven't done this yet, but I need a better way of putting a little bit of tension on the valve caps so they seal with the rubber O-rings inside properly.

Has anyone ever seen something like plastic hex head lever arm spanner finger tools for undoing and doing up metal valve stem caps without having the associated risk of spinning conventional metal spanners in very close proximity to painted wheel lips?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: Plastic spanner tool for metal caps on metal valve stems

Post by Brucey »

could you not just wrap the spanners you have in tape and/or heat shrink?

If you know someone with a rapid prototyping system I'm sure they could make plastic spanners to your design, and provided the torque is low they might be strong enough too.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Plastic spanner tool for metal caps on metal valve stems

Post by bpoliakoff »

+1 or put shrink tubing over the sides of the wrenches (spanners to you) or just get some plastic and a coping saw and make an appropriate tool. Shouldn't take all of 10 minutes
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.