plip1953
Bigcoupe supporter

Re: TRX Tires Not So Bad

Post by plip1953 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:04 pm

Caff wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:36 pm
After a quick google

1 Trx tyre is between 220 and 350 per tyre

for that price you can buy 2 Michelin pilot sport 4 s from black circles (in the nearest equivalent size) or conti sport contact 4s

No. I'm sorry the TRX cannot compete pound for pound with modern tyres - even if the belting and compound were the same - the tread pattern in itself puts it out of contention (big tall tread blocks heat up and move around which ruins feel). sure they might be a bit stickier nowadays but an expensive tyre that wears out quickly and performs worse than a cheaper equivalent makes no sense to me. sure for those 100% original concourse level cars that have about 200 yards on the odo and get trailered everywhere it makes sense I guess.
But the main point is that they are authentic to the original, and in some owner's eyes that's important.

And the TRX wheels are very nice looking too.

The ideal combo imo, and this includes for those interested in concours events, is 20 spoke Alpina wheels (ie genuine ones) and moderns tyres.
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi

Caff

Re: TRX Tires Not So Bad

Post by Caff » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:56 pm

oh i don't deny that to some that it is an important thing, i suppose applying too much logic to owning a retro classic is a fallacy anyway as there is abolutley no logic to owning an e24 its a terrible financial and totally illogical decision haha [-o< :-$