Double puncture - industrial manoeuvres in the dark

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

horsetan

Double puncture - industrial manoeuvres in the dark

Post by horsetan »

After yesterday, I am now down to my last couple of usable metric tyres.

The reason :?:

I suffered a double (slow) puncture on the way home from work. Once the car had cooled down after getting home, both rear metric Avons were flat. I found that I had run over a couple of sizeable self-tapping screws, which had - not surpisingly - embedded (self-tapped?) themselves into the tyre treads.

So, in fading light, I swiped a neighbour's 2.5tonne trolley jack (a Halfords product), and the rear end was swiftly jacked up:

It's quite clear from the rust stains that no-one's needed to touch the differential since the car came off the assembly line in December 1982.

One of the things I have trouble with when changing wheels is that, over time, the wheel seating corrodes and gets stuck to the hub. Last night was no exception. It took loads of determined banging - and did I say "banging"? I meant "persuasion" - to free both wheels from the axle hubs.

On removing the old Avons, I discovered this:

It's amazing how much brake dust builds up on the inside of each wheel over the years. Most of us are just not in the habit of taking wheels off each weekend and cleaning them to laboratory standards...... What the photo does not show is that BOTH Avons were down on tread depth to such an extent that they were practically bald :shock: Just as well, as the MoT falls due next month :!: :evil:

The last pair of Michelin TRX-equipped alloys were retrieved from the garden and mounted, by which time it was nearly pitch dark. (I'm notorious for doing things in the dark :lol: )

I'd cleaned both to laboratory standards; here's one:

A quick wipe-down with Meguiar's tyre gel polish brings out the showroom finish.

We are now back on the road again. The spare in the boot/trunk is a brand new Avon Turbospeed. After examining it, I felt I'd better leave it where it was.....

This is a historic moment, mainly because these are now the last metric tyres that I have. The inevitable changeover to imperial-sized alloys cannot be all that far off.

(pause)

.....Meanwhile, somewhere up in Bromsgrove, Dave J. rubs his hands in anticipation of finally getting rid of that stack of E39 Style 31 alloys (plus hubcentric rings) which have been gently mouldering behind his garden gate since God only knows :roll: ........and takes a gentle stroll to the nearest pub.

Yes, Dave. I'll be paying you a visit soon. Incidentally, what will you be doing with your own stock of lightly-used Michelin TRXs that everyone's suppposedly forgotten about :?: And there is also the trival little matter of your ellipsoid headlight sets....... :lol:

Oh, and a certain elderly glovebox torch...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

And before some smart gobshite asks, yes I DID return the trolley jack.