Tire Recommendations

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

clayjo

Tire Recommendations

Post by clayjo »

Looking to get new tires. Had current tires for about ten years and even though there's still enough tread, I think swapping tires would improve the overall ride. Currently have Bridgestone Potenza and generally happy with them, but considering a swap out for either Michelin Pilot Exalto or Pirelli Cinturato P7??

Car is stock basic set up with old 7 series wheels. Looking to keep rims and just swap tires. I don't drive it very hard, but fast sometimes. Not a show car, not a daily driver. Does not see rain or snow.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

If you are looking for all weather tires, the Yoko S-drive is a great tire and runs about $100 each.

If you are looking for a high performance tire, the Falken FK452/453 are SURPRISINGLY good summer tires and wet weather performance is acceptable. I have been running FK452's year round for two years now and they have worn in great. Their grip on warm days is well beyond what the price tag would suggest.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
clayjo

Post by clayjo »

Thanks, I'll look into those.

Forgot to mention that my current tire specs are

225/50 r16

if that's make a difference to anyone's opinion.
markh

Post by markh »

Conti Extreme Contact DW are worth a look. Love them on my ///M.
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
Sharknose

Post by Sharknose »

I got the Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R16 92H and very happy with them.

Check out this web site:
http://www.amazon.com/Kumho-Ecsta-KU25- ... B004QL6DXC
Sharknose
1989 BMW 635CSi - Metallic Smoke Gray - my Lupita

"If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!"
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I was about to suggest Kumhos. I bought a set of Ecsta 4Xs in 225/50/16 from Tire Rack ($443.50 shipped) and I'm very happy with them.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Sharknose

Post by Sharknose »

Just wondering, but if the Potenza have last +10 years and still look OK, why looking for a different brand? :-k
Sharknose
1989 BMW 635CSi - Metallic Smoke Gray - my Lupita

"If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!"
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I appreciate stepping out of your comfort zone;
but, I also agree the Sharknose dude. If it ain't broke don't fix it! :roll:
Decision time, huh? :-k
Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

The Potenza is a good tire, for sure.

I bought my Falkens as a stopgap and they plain old impressed me, so they are still on there.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
clayjo

Post by clayjo »

Sharknose wrote:Just wondering, but if the Potenza have last +10 years and still look OK, why looking for a different brand? :-k

They do still look okay, but I do take care of them well and probably only put 15k in miles on the odometer in 10 years.
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Opinions on tyres are extremely subjective and you'll get many varied opinions.

10 years is quite old for a tyre and they get harder as they age, so maybe you'll struggle to ever wear them out but performance and safety will be compromised. As wear rate does not seem to be an issue for you, you can benefit from a grippier / softer compound .

I changed my Potenzas for Eagle F1's, which give a much better all round ride and are rated a top tyre, but less expensive than competition.

On the P7 centuratos I put these on my wife's GTI golf, replacing the Rosso's. Not in the same league and lack in feel / confidence but they were about half the price. (Shop liquidated a week later).

Chris
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Resurrecting this thread as I just realized that the tires on my car(purchased last June and driven from TX to MD at speeds approaching 100 mph a few times) were installed over 7 years ago. While they have plenty of treadlife, I am a bit concerned about their age. They are Pirelli all seasons, can't remember the exact model, 225-60-15. I am leaning toward replacing them before I drive the car to SESF and the Vintage this May.

I had a long conversation with the manager of a local tire store that sells just about every brand of tire and claims he can match or beat TireRack when shipping, mounting and balancing is all figure into the price. He highly recommends the Michelin Pilot Sport AS III. I specifically asked about the Continental DW and DWS and both have been highly rated on TireRack. If cost is not in the equation I would go with the Michelins and considering that I will only put about 3,000 miles a year on my car and they last for 40K miles I am looking at more than 10 years of life. Cost being a consideration, what tire would you recommend. I live in western MD and it does get quite cold here in the winter although I never drive the car in snow or ice but do take it out on cold, sunny winter days when the temps could be in the 20s. I am leaning towards the Conti DWS. It still gets very positive reviews on TireRack and I like running a "German" tire on a German car.

One last question, the PO told me that the wheels on my car are staggered, that is the rear ones are wider than the front but the tires the same size. He mentioned this so I would not rotate them and put the rear wheels on the front as he said they would rub. Seems there are almost no all season tires available in the correct size that would allow staggered 16" tires to be installed on my car. Am I correct?

Added: I talked to salesmen at both TireRack and Discount Tire Direct. Both said that there really isn't a high performance all season tire available in a slightly larger size to run on my rear wheels so I am going to stay with the 225-50-16 size all around. Pricing was best at Discount Tire Direct on the Conti DWS so I will be ordering soon in order to take advantage of an additional $25 online discount and a $30 VISA card. I tried to see if Tire Rack would match their price but they would not.

Added: I see that TireRack has now lowered their price to be competitive with Discount Tire Direct on the Conti DWS so I will probably buy from them after all. I have always had a good experience buying from Tire Rack in the past.

Added: Don't overlook Amazon if you are shopping for tires. With a vendor that offers free shipping you can beat both TireRack and Discount Tire Direct on many tires.
mitchcornacchia

Ditto on the Kumos

Post by mitchcornacchia »

I've had Kumho ecsta ASX on my car for 3 years now good tire not a lot of cash$$ I mean pricey I'm ready to buy two more this week. I know there are better tires out there but these aren't bad.

I'm getting ready to buy two front tires. I too am always curious as to which tire to buy!!
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

Consistantly in tyre tests continentals sports contact 3's come out on top. They are not asymetric or directional. I have had these on three cars now and they are miles better than any other tyre i have used.

I would avoid Asymetric or directional tyres on our cars as they can highlight warn bushes an can help contribute to the dreaded shimmy.
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

I have sport contact3's as well. They have been pretty good although the rears are just about shot due to enthusiastic driving. They still grip pretty well which is a good point as lots of even average tyres grip well early on but their grip levels deteriorate with wear. The better tyres still grip when worn.

I have some crap cheap tyres on my work ute but I was a tightass as they wert 245/35/20. I'm absalutly blown away how much grip they have in cornering and straight line I have a pretty healthy ls3 v8 putting out over 450bhp and it even hooks up in first in the dry and has good wet cornering.

I'm sure they will deteriorate but I've had them on over 10000km and still good grip. I shake my head sometimes cos they should be crap.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6