BBS Wheel Reconditioning

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

AndrewHolt

BBS Wheel Reconditioning

Post by AndrewHolt »

Hi guys - does anyone have any knowledge of alloy/mag wheel reconditioning - either paying to get it done or DIY? I have 225 section BBS split rims on my 86 635. The rims are getting pitted and definitely not as shiny & new as they should be. The rim bolts are getting discoloured (not sure if there's a coating on them which is coming off??)

Anyone know an approximate cost per wheel to recondition? I've got a quote of $220 aussie dollars per wheel to recondition. Should I replace the rim bolts as a precaution? Any guidance would be really appreciated...
Andrew

1986 635CSi
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Andrew, that quote of $220 per wheel to recondition is very good as i've just had my TRX wheels stripped and repainted which was $300 a wheel. The bloke who did mine did a good job but he was just a standard wheel repainting guy. Yours will take a lot of work with having to be split and all the polishing and stuff that goes on so if that $220 covers the lot then i would go for it.

Regards
Paul
AndrewHolt

Post by AndrewHolt »

G'day Paul - thanks for responding. I will be on the drive on saturday so I'd like to see your wheels and chat to you. The only reason Im thinking about reconditioning my wheels is that I've had a slowly deflating front tyre - problem is a split rim which Jax in Merrylands diagnosed last week. Got the rim welded and got the car back tonight. Thought I'd get the rest of the wheels checked out and reconditioned at the same time - makes a huge difference doesnt it? I saw Orlando's gold M6 a few months ago. Anyway - see you Saturday at Richmond. Chocks away ginger!!
Andrew

1986 635CSi