Mounting of Jack and Lug Wrench?

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mounting of Jack and Lug Wrench?

Post by songzunhuang »

So I finally was able to get the bits to complete the tools for my jack kit. When I got my car, only the jack was there. I was missing the wheel chock, lug wrench, retaining bracket and retaining nut. I met up with Ralph on one of his trips up to the Bay Area and got all the necessary bits.

However, we couldn't figure out one thing. Do I have the right lug wrench?
It looks like there's a slot in the mounting point in the driver's side of the trunk that is for securing the lug wrench at one of it's bends. The lug wrench I got doesn't appear to fit correctly. I can't figure out how to make the slot line up. Do I have the wrong wrench?
Is this all mounted correctly and is the lug wrench somehow too long?
Is this all mounted correctly and is the lug wrench somehow too long?
JackTools.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 5878 times
Can someone with a e24 post a picture of their stock setup for this area. Is that slot supposed to secure the lug wrench? Maybe I'm concerned about nothing. Thanks.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
tschultz

Re: Mounting of Jack and Lug Wrench?

Post by tschultz »

That's the same way mine is set up :-k
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Hi Song,

Have wondered the same thing myself, causing me to look at a number of sixers. Unless they've all been wrong, that's the way it's supposed to be despite the inviting-looking cutout!

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

after a certain point they changed that; the way the chock is mounted is different and the bracket for the jack and the wheelbrace are slightly different too I think.

I am not sure if this corresponds with the change to stowing the first aid kit in the LH trim panel...?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

tschultz wrote:That's the same way mine is set up :-k
Thanks for the response. Now I can sleep a little easier. 8)
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

wattsmonkey wrote:Hi Song,

Have wondered the same thing myself, causing me to look at a number of sixers. Unless they've all been wrong, that's the way it's supposed to be despite the inviting-looking cutout!

Rob
Sometimes the German engineers are so exact, then sometimes I'm thinking WTF?
For example, the way that the coolant hose barely has any clearance from the fan pulley. What were they thinking? Or the way the air vent systems are set up with those goofy 3 levers. Or how badly the A/C system works. blah, blah....

In any case, you'll save me a lot of poking in other people's 6'ers trunk. Thanks.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
I forgot to take a pic. BUT there is a removable panel that hides the jack and lug wrench. It matches the grey fuzz trunk lining.
Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote:Song,
I forgot to take a pic. BUT there is a removable panel that hides the jack and lug wrench. It matches the grey fuzz trunk lining.
Ken
Oh I have that piece. It was removed for the picture.
Thanks all the same. I appreciate your responding.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

songzunhuang wrote:
For example, the way that the coolant hose barely has any clearance from the fan pulley. What were they thinking? Or the way the air vent systems are set up with those goofy 3 levers. Or how badly the A/C system works. blah, blah....
er, the hose does not chafe on the fan unless it is the wrong hose or it is installed badly somehow. It is possible to fit the wrong fan coupling, or the correct fan coupling/fan wrongly so that you have no clearance too.

The system with 'the goofy levers' works much better than most other ventilation systems that were designed that long ago. I've owned several modern cars where you can't have fresh air in one part of the cabin, + heat in another or you can't have warm feet and defrost the windscreen at the same time; utter utter utter crap; by contrast the 'goofy levers' allow you to do all that and more. If you don't understand how to work them, you know what to do, RTM.

The AC system you have probably needs an overhaul and/or an upgrade. It was designed to operate on R12 refrigerant (now banned) and nothing else will work as well as that in the original system. Indeed many things that might have been added to your system are only likely to hasten its failure. If you want the AC to work properly with modern refrigerant you need new parts (like an upgraded condenser, different seals, maybe a different compressor too). Most AC systems of that age need similar work. Car AC systems have a much harder life than (say) a domestic refrigerator does, but I bet you have scrapped off several domestic refrigerators in the time your 6er has been around.... :roll: ..if you had a 30 year old refrigerator that still worked it would be 'a miracle' but because your (probably unmaintained) AC system coughs like an asthmatic mouse it is 'the fault of those German engineers...'...?

BMW engineers do screw up from time to time but the parts you mention are not examples of that IMHO. Try not to confuse what has happened to you car in its life (plus any lack of understanding on your part) with how it was originally designed and built.

BTW if you want 'weird and/or stupid' in car designs, there a lot of examples of that, eg from Italy or France... :wink:

cheers
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Brucey wrote:
songzunhuang wrote:
er, the hose does not chafe on the fan unless it is the wrong hose or it is installed badly somehow. It is possible to fit the wrong fan coupling, or the correct fan coupling/fan wrongly so that you have no clearance too.

The system with 'the goofy levers' works much better than most other ventilation systems that were designed that long ago. I've owned several modern cars where you can't have fresh air in one part of the cabin, + heat in another or you can't have warm feet and defrost the windscreen at the same time; utter utter utter crap; by contrast the 'goofy levers' allow you to do all that and more. If you don't understand how to work them, you know what to do, RTM.

The AC system you have probably needs an overhaul and/or an upgrade. It was designed to operate on R12 refrigerant (now banned) and nothing else will work as well as that in the original system. Indeed many things that might have been added to your system are only likely to hasten its failure. If you want the AC to work properly with modern refrigerant you need new parts (like an upgraded condenser, different seals, maybe a different compressor too). Most AC systems of that age need similar work. Car AC systems have a much harder life than (say) a domestic refrigerator does, but I bet you have scrapped off several domestic refrigerators in the time your 6er has been around.... :roll: ..if you had a 30 year old refrigerator that still worked it would be 'a miracle' but because your (probably unmaintained) AC system coughs like an asthmatic mouse it is 'the fault of those German engineers...'...?

BMW engineers do screw up from time to time but the parts you mention are not examples of that IMHO. Try not to confuse what has happened to you car in its life (plus any lack of understanding on your part) with how it was originally designed and built.

BTW if you want 'weird and/or stupid' in car designs, there a lot of examples of that, eg from Italy or France... :wink:

cheers
Fair enough!
Although I knew a few people who bought new BMWs in the late 80's while I lived in Texas and they were never happy with the A/C.

I've owned Italian cars. I know about goofiness - like dropping a motor for "regular" maintenance.

In any case, it's all good.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I'd describe the system that is fitted as standard (when in good condition) as 'adequate' unless it is very hot; I guess Texas is pretty hot. Arguably Texans should maybe have specced the 'Tropical Air-Con' option that was offered by BMW.

Also I don't know how many US spec E24s had factory air-con and how many had it installed at the dealers. In theory it ought to work about the same either way but in practice body shells that were factory fitted with Air-Con were usually slightly different than those that left the factory without it. Specifically (in the UK anyway) nearly all the factory air-con cars I have seen have blocked C-pillar air vents (behind the rear section of the gutter trim) whereas non-factory air-con shells (and dealer fit aircon ones) usually have open C-pillar vents. This may mean that if you retro-fit (or dealer fit) Air-con to an E24, it works much less well, because all your nice cold air escapes from the cabin more easily. I don't know about other BMW models but I'd expect those to have tropical air-con options too.

I suppose it is possible that BMW NA didn't import cars with the Tropical spec air-con or offer it as an option, in which case you have them to blame....?

BTW I've seen a car with the OEM 'tropical air-con' kit on (that somehow ended up in the UK... :shock: ) and the compressor looked like it came off something twice the size, a real monster; it uses a special bracket and everything.... If the other parts were sized to match, it ought to have had about half as much again or maybe double the cooling capacity vs the standard system.

cheers
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

My car has open C pillar vents, factory air-con and it works incredibly well for a 31 year old car if you just stop and RTFM. Shut all the vent sliders when the air-con is switched on; it makes a world of difference.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)