Throwing Star Rim Advice

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MSGGrunt

Throwing Star Rim Advice

Post by MSGGrunt »

I saw an E24 on EBay that has throwing start rims on it with the "star" painted what looks like to match the body color.

Opinions wanted on what the "star" would look like painted/powder coated red to match my car? I was thinking gold as well for that period correct look but, I'm thinking these style of wheels would not lend themselves to that style/look.
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (40.14 KiB) Viewed 9923 times
Driver's Side View.JPG
Driver's Side View.JPG (222.63 KiB) Viewed 9923 times
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Throwing Star Rim Advice

Post by GRNSHRK »

Grunt, I think it's a matter of what color your 6er is, as some will not be as subtle as others :-k

Mine are still OEM silver but was thinking about having them done in Nagaro Silver, a somewhat darker shade that I think would go nicely with the dark green paint [-o<

But red, think I would try to do a Photoshop job and see what it would appear like, IMHO I think it's gonna be a bit on the loud side :-"
Attachments
Throwing Star Rear2.jpg
Throwing Star Rear2.jpg (621.91 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Agreed - maybe a slightly darker silver, but red wheels on a red car just doesn't match the character of an E24. Just my opinion.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

francoid

Post by francoid »

To each their own. I can't associate the star rim with the E24. To me it's an E34 wheel.
That said, if you want to see what red wheels look like, here's a good example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E28-E34-535 ... jf&vxp=mtr
I must say, I never thought I'd like them, but I do!
davem6

Post by davem6 »

GRNSHRK wrote:Grunt, I think it's a matter of what color your 6er is, as some will not be as subtle as others :-k

Mine are still OEM silver but was thinking about having them done in Nagaro Silver, a somewhat darker shade that I think would go nicely with the dark green paint [-o<

But red, think I would try to do a Photoshop job and see what it would appear like, IMHO I think it's gonna be a bit on the loud side :-"
+2. too loud, not period correct
1987 M6
NSW Australia
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

I figured "Too Loud" would be the verdict in red but I had to ask. White would be the other option but, this would probably look too "Tuner" for the E24.
francoid

Post by francoid »

Am I the only one not convinced about the period correctness of the wheels themselves? Again, it's a matter of taste, and personal experience :)
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

If period correctness was the normal guide, we'd all be using Metric bottle caps or Style 5s. [-X

Some wheels just look wrong on our cars to some people. I have no problem with the throwing stars on an E24, provided they aren't gussied-up with gaudy centers. The same wheels look good on some later cars, like E36s (a friend has them on his E36)
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
francoid

Post by francoid »

I don't quite see it like that. The E24 existed without TRX and metrics. There was a set of standard wheels that were appropriate from the start. There were also other BMW of the same period with standard wheels. There are styles that are clearly period appropriate. Also, the TRX wheels were styled very similarly to several contemporary standard sized BMW and BBS wheels that many of us are using today. While not using the TRX makes the car not original (and could be a negative for Concours d'Elegance) it's absolutely a non event with respect to having a credible, contemporary look for the car.
francoid

Post by francoid »

In addition, the contemporary after market wheels from Alpina and BBS and many others are also appropriate in my opinion. I run Alpina wheels on the M6 that I saw in the late 80s on E24s and that are in my view appropriate.

Taste is subjective, period appropriateness is not as much. The star wheels did not exist during the E24 era.
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

One of the good things about the Bmw community I general is they are pretty easygoing in regards to using modernised parts from other models as upgrades.

The throwing stars don't look too bad at all.

If we were all about period correctness as others have said we would use metrics or 14"rims. Throw in some asbestos pads and also use ron91 (mon87) fuel.

I'm going through the same dillema whether to use 18"rims as I really want to run pilot supersports as I have them on a few other cars and think they would be ideal.

I'm going to cut up a set of 3 piece metrics to make them. Period correct we'll probably not but the improvement to mechanical grip of the modern rubber will be a nice trade off.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
francoid

Post by francoid »

Sorry to repeat it, but I don't see it in that way... Having worked with Michelin and BMW Motorsport and Alpina around these cars, I remember vividly what we tested, and hence what could be deemed period appropriate.
Beyond that, whether specific things look good or not is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your opinion of how the stars look on this car, and mine, differ sharply. However that's not an objective criteria, only opinions.
As for 18", I have written elsewhere (based on my former experience as head of sports tires at Michelin (designer of the Pilot Super Sport, working in particular with BMW Motorsport, with hundreds of laps of the Nurburgring in joint testing among others) that I would advise against that size (for objective criteria).
Cheers
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

I think the (unmodified) stars look good on an e24, if they match the styling of that specific car. Some cars of the same model look good with some wheels, others do not. Depends on the overall look of everything combined imho.

Edit:Someone had mentioned tires earlier. Fwiw, I use Eagle GT's in 235/45r17. Haven't had a single issue out of them, they are wearing great. Car stays stuck to the pavement to the extent of what I'm capable of safely driving, but I just cruise. Wet traction is excellent imo.
bcadmin

Post by bcadmin »

To each their own...

No need to beat a dead horse, some people like them some people don't.
Brian F

Bimmerless :0(

------ Former Stable -----
E31 840ci
1990 525i
1984 Graphite M635
1985 Polaris M635
1987 L6
1980 633csi
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

Agreed, I like them but, they may not be everyone's flavor. Just like I think some of the Alpina wheels look like... well, let's just say I'm not a fan. But, that is just my taste and I don't fault others for liking them. Just like I tolerate my stock cassette radio while others like something more modern.