Help please

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Bobo W

Help please

Post by Bobo W »

I'm sure this has been covered to death were I able to search through previous threads but please humour me.

I currently have 16 inch BBS wheels fitted to my car (1987) which makes it look somewhat under-tyred so I'm mulling over the idea of moving to 17 inch instead. I don't want to go any bigger and I would like a certain sense of originality so thinking BBS Split Rims or Alpina.

Can someone point me in the direction of pictures of cars with these wheels fitted. When I look at Google images there's a whole myriad of different versions and I've got no idea which is which. What I'm particularly interested in is BBS Split Rims fitted to cars with Shadow Line trim as I'm wondering whether the chrome rim might be a bit too blingy so I'm wondering whether some may have a matt finish instead.

Thanks
Steve
Steve
1987 M635CSi #388
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Help please

Post by ron »

17" 2 piece BBSs with Nogaro silver centres and gold bolts.

They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Soperman

Post by Soperman »

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

This is an image of a car once owned by a forum member. This one is a later highline, but like yours it is black with Shadowline trim.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5rsAAOSwP ... -l1600.jpg

They are the same 17" wheels (BBS RC090) fitted to Ron's red car above, albeit in a more conventional finish.
E24 M635CSi
jevans

Post by jevans »

Here is a shot of my 86 with the 17X8 BBS RC090 with polished lips. Really like them.

John
Attachments
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG (410.42 KiB) Viewed 8973 times
Bobo W

Post by Bobo W »

Sorry for not coming back any sooner, I clearly need to frequent these pages a bit more often.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

While I have list as long as my arm of things to do - should really have come here first, but heart ruled head :wink: the aesthetic side of things is possibly a bit further down the road than I would like but please humour me.

So aside from finish is there any difference in specification between the wheels on the red UK car and the black UK car in the link?

The chrome rim doesn't look as blingy as I expected on either the US or UK red cars although I wonder whether this is offset by being red. As my car is black with black shadow line trim, I wondered whether the chrome will stand out more. However those on the black UK car look exactly what I was after. Do wheels come up reasonably regularly for sale?

Steve
Steve
1987 M635CSi #388
Bobo W

Post by Bobo W »

Incidentally, I know it's the wrong board for this but what's the general consensus on Motorsport trim and whether to keep or not
Steve
1987 M635CSi #388
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Bobo W wrote: ....what's the general consensus on Motorsport trim and whether to keep or not
Which trim are you referring to?
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Bobo W

Post by Bobo W »

Not being au fait with all the various specifications I was specifically was referring to the skirts along the sills and rear valence. I guess a style very much of its time but not so much now?
Steve
1987 M635CSi #388
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Gday Steve

I don't think the Motorsport trim is necessarily a bad thing at all, but it probably depends what condition the trim kit is in after 30 years of life. If its ill-fitting, damaged or sagging then they can look a bit tacky or cheap, but if its in good order then it can definitely complement the car's overall look.

Good condition Motorsport trim and the right set of wheels can make the car a stunner.

Have a look through this Flickr group for heaps of examples of different cars, wheels, bodykits:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/sixerlovers/

for example:
Bobo W

Post by Bobo W »

Good set of pictures thanks, Steve
Steve
1987 M635CSi #388