Style 8 split rims!!!!!

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Style 8 split rims!!!!!

Post by wattsmonkey »

I found these on ebay. I don't know how they do them, or what the potential pitfalls are, but they are just stunning.

I haven't bought them or anything, but I keep looking at the M and looking at the ad!
style 8 split rim.jpg
style 8 split rim.jpg (109.69 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Style 8 split rims!!!!!

Post by ron »

They look good but should do at the price!
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Ralph in Socal Online
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

They are the factory 15 inch wheels that have been modifed by machine work to accept 3 piece barrels and lips.

I feel it's a major gamble to run these modified wheels since they were not originally designed for that specific purpose.

BBS centers are forged units, not cast.
I would think there were several engineers, accountants and safety factor considerations involved in the making of a BBS wheel - whether multi piece or single piece.
I'm sure BBS has product liability insurance.
BBS has been manufacturing wheels for a very long time so I would think they know what they are doing.
BBS RS wheels were on Rug Cunnighams cars when he did the famous La Carrera PanAmericana run in the late 80s with the M cars. Speeds of 150+ mph and no wheel failure.

True that you will not find BBS doing something like that for profitability issues. The volume would not justify the R&D and expenditures involved.

So you find a shop to do this.
Will they provide customer support in case of a problem in the future?
How much R&D was performed to make sure the center is capable of handling the stresses involved.
Are you willing to run at 60 mph on those wheels ? 80mph? 100 mph? 120 mph? Where do you draw the line of how fast you can safely drive on those wheels?
They do LOOK great.

I'm not willing to take any type of risk like that. Yes very unique, but for me they are too pricey to have that kind of cloud hanging over my head. I woulld probably feel safe up to 100. I feel very safe with the BBS at any speed I drive.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Thanks Ron and Ralph.

They do, indeed, look good. I used to run the "normal" versions on my 635, 7 1/2 x 16, with ET13, so fill the arches very nicely. Same wheels now on my E34. They won't fit over Brembo brakes, oddly enough given their 8 series origins.

16" tyre choices are a bit limiting - you can get whatever you like in 17" flavour, including the Michelin PS3s which this board has made me hanker after.

What I'd like is something as close as possible to the RS007s for the M, but I'm happy with the Hartges for now.

Cheers,

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
Ralph in Socal Online
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

wattsmonkey wrote: I'm happy with the Hartges for now.

Cheers,

Rob
Many of us would be as well. I just haven't found a set yet. I've got Epsilons and Weds in 16 and every so often I get to wondering how nice they would be.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

they are very pretty wheels. Regarding safety, the highest ('normal use') stresses are usually in hard cornering. Even factory wheels won't last indefinitely in such use and who knows what comeback you would have on a 30-year-old wheel if it failed now anyway....? Plenty of split rim wheels are made with cast centres BTW; I don't think that is cause for automatic disqualification.

It is worth noting that if you fit properly sticky modern tyres to any wheel, the side loads in hard cornering are likely to be up to 30% more than the factory wheels were ever designed for anyway.

In fairness maybe it is OK; anyone (anyone who is not barmy) is going to fit decent wheels (and inspect them regularly) if they are going racing, whereas the likely customer for the wheels in this thread is likely more concerned with looks rather than performance.

BTW elsewhere I've seen a set of bottle tops converted to split rims; finally, a use for those poxy metrics! :wink:

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~