Wheel Rehab?

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MrsBee

Wheel Rehab?

Post by MrsBee »

Howdy fellas, it's been a long strange trip, and the sixer is in good hands...although not mine...as of right now.

I have a conundrum. I know ya'll know your stuff and have sage advice, sometimes warranted, sometimes not, but I need some help.

Long story short, I'm doing automotive detailing professionally now and met a monster. A freaking Nissan Murano (or as we lovingly call it, a Manure-o) with these wheels that freakishly got streaked. Using the same wheel cleaner everyday, on every wheel, for some odd reason these got screwed up. Is there anything, at all really, that you can think of that can save these stupid (let alone ugly) wheels before I have to vomit up 500 bucks for them to have the wheels redone.

Side note, I don't have 500 bucks to have them redone at the moment, so creative ideas are open. I'd rather try tonics and snake oil on them for another two months as opposed to hock my photography gear :)
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Wheel Rehab?

Post by 86_6series »

Pictures of damaged wheels would help.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Are these wheels on a Nissan Murano?
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

I think I know what you mean. I had this happen the one and only time I used a spray on wheel cleaner on my BBS wheels. Left a patchy / streaky mess on the aluminium lips which would't wash off - like it stained or etched the surface. Eventually polished out using autosol polish and lots of rubbing.

Not sure if your wheels would be clear coated though and therefore best fix. Google "wheel cleaner streaked my wheels" and you'll find others have had this happen.

Just use the same carwash you use for the paintwork.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

The OEM Nissan wheels have a translucent silver over a black base coat, and because of that, they're a b!tch to touch-up or polish once they've been damaged. The silver is extremely thin. You can buy various brands of silver wheel paint that will lookk good, but not original. I'd bet you can do it for less than $60 for all 4. Mask carefully, mask carefully, and prep with a good grease remover.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

MrsBee

Post by MrsBee »

Nailed it, it was a Nissan Murano. After doing some research and talking to a few people in the wheel business they call it "Hyper Silver" paint, which is ridiculous. The whole concept of the paint being put together with four different parts (or something along those lines) and it's not really even an attractive color. Looks dusty all the time IMHO

Rubbing them out (hahahaha) what rubbing compound did you use?