paint or powdercoat?

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

87Shark

paint or powdercoat?

Post by 87Shark »

Ok, here's my predicament. I have style 8 wheels off an 850 that need to be re-finished. I have new center caps, but don't know which way to go on the re-do. Can a competent powder coater match the original color? Or, for that matter, what is the original color?(besides, silver. That much I know) Where can I find a paint code for the wheels? If nothing else, I can give the code to a powder coat shop and let them match it. Thanks in advance.
'87 L6, Arctic White
brickwhite

Re: paint or powdercoat?

Post by brickwhite »

You are over thinking this. The only person that will know its not exact OE silver is you. As long a all four wheels are the same you should be good. Powder is the way to go for longevity. Unless you have a painter that can blast and paint your wheels cheap. Style 8 wheels are not worth a lot so I wouldn't spend a fortune on a refinish.

I had some e30 Euro 15" Weaves powder coated (metallic) silver and then I spray painted the center caps with local auto parts silver wheel spray and it matched. Most powder coaters have wheel silver that's really close to OE if they do wheels. Guess it depends on how picky you are and cost.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic