Proper Hubcentric Rings for E39 wheels

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

bfons

Proper Hubcentric Rings for E39 wheels

Post by bfons »

All,

Everytime I need to find rings, I always have to look up the size. The proper size is 74.1mm by 72.56mm. If you're near a Discount Tire, they order them for you for $19.95 and are the cheapest. Tirerack and Ebay have them as well.

If you want to buy them from Ebay, you should be able to find some using this link:
http://www.bmwe24.net/
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

I fitted plastic hubcentric rings when matching E39 cross spokes to my M635CSi. I have found out you can get stainless steel versions, in normal use are they any better :?
Attachments
Wheel.jpg
Wheel.jpg (236.3 KiB) Viewed 45750 times
Mountain Shark

aluminum

Post by Mountain Shark »

I've had plastic - they had molding barbs on them. Probably didn't matter. I have aluminum now. Can't tell the difference. Never seen stainless before. Those would be good because I've bent 2 of the aluminum ones and had to buy a new set.
Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Spotted them on German EBay, unfortunately on my laptop which I foolishly left in the car in Glasgow only for the inevitable to happen, so no link unfortunately, but have a scan you'll find them. I'm not going to bother as most reckon they will make no difference :?
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Direct link to Discount Tire for hub rings:

Hub rings - $15

Wheel lug bolt set $70:

Last edited by Chris Wright on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I bought my M6 with a set of 18" TSW Thruxton's. The hub centric rings were missing on every wheel and I have a shimmy at 45-50 mph. I verified size and ordered some 76mm - 72.56 mm rings.

They fixed my 45-50 mph shimmy problem!

Here is a link to the seller.
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aaia ... cessories/

They were $10 shipped for 4 rings and I received them in two days. What a great freakin buy and what a great seller. I am buying two more sets. I say buy 3 or 4 sets from this guy and for $40 you will never need to worry about getting more. Peace of mind is so worth the $40.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
dividedbydrew

Post by dividedbydrew »

FYI: I found a guy on ebay who is selling aluminum hub centric rings to adapt E39 size hubs to the E24.

link

hmmm, I'm having trouble posting the link. Can anyone see what I did wrong?
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

Just ordered these hub centric spacers from Rogue Engineering:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Product_Descr ... pacers.htm

$114 shipped with bolts. Nice quality.
Attachments
M6project - 47.jpg
M6project - 47.jpg (437.79 KiB) Viewed 43086 times
L-Sixer

Post by L-Sixer »

Hi All,

Newbie here - I recently bought an L6 and put the 17" E39 Style 5 wheels on the car.

I've got the 45-50mph wobble. Problem is - each time my tire shop puts new hubcentric rings on, they break within a few days and the wobble returns.

1. Could they be using the wrong size rings? Is the correct size rings for these wheels listed in the first posting for this subject?

2. Should I be using steel or aluminum rings instead?

3. I notice that many of the hubcentric kits offer new lug nuts with them - do I need to replace the lug nuts as well?

Thanks much for your help!!

Robert
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

L-Sixer wrote:Hi All,

Newbie here - I recently bought an L6 and put the 17" E39 Style 5 wheels on the car.

I've got the 45-50mph wobble. Problem is - each time my tire shop puts new hubcentric rings on, they break within a few days and the wobble returns.

1. Could they be using the wrong size rings? Is the correct size rings for these wheels listed in the first posting for this subject?
Generally speaking, the wrong size rings wont fit, but its certainly possible. Are any of the wheels bent?

2. Should I be using steel or aluminum rings instead?
Yes, they wont break. They may stick to the hub if left for years at a time, but they are better than plastic.

3. I notice that many of the hubcentric kits offer new lug nuts with them - do I need to replace the lug nuts as well?
No reason to replace the lug bolts.
GWL

Post by GWL »

Sixracer wrote:Just ordered these hub centric spacers from Rogue Engineering:

Gorgeous spacers. How thick are they?
DunDun

Post by DunDun »

GWL wrote:
Sixracer wrote:Just ordered these hub centric spacers from Rogue Engineering:

Gorgeous spacers. How thick are they?
+1, what size? I think I saw 10mm on the link...correct?
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

For reference I have a set of the plastic type. But the metal rings *may* be better, because wheen taking them on and off, there is no risk of them being snapped apart and broken. I haven't had issues with this, but it is something to think about. If you are iwlling to pay a bit more, you don't have to worry about this when changing wheels/tires.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
wwwendt

E39 hubs on E24

Post by wwwendt »

I have 3 E24s, two of which have Style 5 wheels and aluminum hubcentric spacers. However, I have often wondered......is it possible to just fit E39 hubs to our E24s? I know that "possible" has a cost component.....I've just never compared the geometry of the two. I've only had E24s.
GWL

Re: E39 hubs on E24

Post by GWL »

wwwendt wrote:I have 3 E24s, two of which have Style 5 wheels and aluminum hubcentric spacers. However, I have often wondered......is it possible to just fit E39 hubs to our E24s? I know that "possible" has a cost component.....I've just never compared the geometry of the two. I've only had E24s.
It may be possible, but I really don't think it would be very cost effective. I have run E39 Style fives on my E24s for years without problems. However I did recently switch to the Style Fives that came on the original 850 which have the correct hub size for the E24. :-)
MöchteWeiß

Post by MöchteWeiß »

This is only an issue with E39 wheels; not other BMW 5-bolts. It makes little sense to limit yourself to E39 (only!) fitments when the simple expedient of hubcentric rings is so cheap.

FWIW, I've never seen steel rings, either. The aluminum ones can take some abuse. They'll still do the job as long as they're effectively the same thickness. I've straightened bent ones before without ill effects.
Jcx500c

Re: E39 hubs on E24

Post by Jcx500c »

wwwendt wrote:I have 3 E24s, two of which have Style 5 wheels and aluminum hubcentric spacers. However, I have often wondered......is it possible to just fit E39 hubs to our E24s? I know that "possible" has a cost component.....I've just never compared the geometry of the two. I've only had E24s.

I had to bore out some style 197s on a e39 once... Came out good no shake and took me 5 min per rim.
bkats

Post by bkats »

ECS tuning sells 4-packs for less than discount tire. They are the purple BBS-specific rings that "snap" into the wheel. I bought a few packs so I can keep some in my trunk for any wheel changes (I have a full-size spare). Having extras is nice because I can just toss/replace any that crack or look questionable. I have heard that generic rings (i.e. ones that aren't shaped to snap into the wheel) break often and don't last long.
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Will these spacers fit without more parts?

Post by songzunhuang »

OK, I know that I need to run hub-centric rings (74.1mm x 72.56mm) to run E39 wheels on my 633. I wanted to fill out the wheel wells and spacers seem to be the way to go.

I saw these on Amazon and they appear to be a smoking deal.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V7L7ZAO/ref ... dd5be8e9_S

The question is whether or not I will still need to run hub-centric rings with these spacers. Do these exactly mimic the diameter of the stock setup and stock wheels are do they have the proper step to fit my E39 wheels?

If they are not direct fits, does anyone make a spacer that also has the proper step?
Thanks for a quick response (before the sale ends!)
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
GripGreg

Re: Proper Hubcentric Rings for E39 wheels

Post by GripGreg »

Song
Scroll up in this same posting or whatever, to DUNDUN's post.
You, being a tekkie, should know to investigate before asking?
There are two phone #'s for the info you need! :-" #-o
Tip: before applying, add a small film of oil/grease to
the hub side so the spacer won't get bonded to the hub.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Instead of lecturing you on how you should be searching, I'll just answer your question directly. Yes, you'll still need the hubcentric rings. The E39 wheel have a 74.1 bore size. Those spacers are 72.56 on both ends. You have to adapt the outboard hub to fit the wheels. Hubcentric rings will do that.

Cut the guy a break, Greg. Enough with riding him about investigating/searching, ok?
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Feld1128

Post by Feld1128 »

Actually H&R makes spacers that reduce the hub size correctly 72.5 to 74 so you will not need rings with them I run style 5 with 15 mm spacers adapters. H&R part number 3075725740.
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Feld1128 wrote:Actually H&R makes spacers that reduce the hub size correctly 72.5 to 74 so you will not need rings with them I run style 5 with 15 mm spacers adapters. H&R part number 3075725740.
That sounds great, problem is that I already bought spacers and aluminum rings. I even had to have wheel bolts custom machined to length. So this chapter of my re-storing is done.

Not sure I'll ever need to replace spacers again, but you never know.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vision Wheel hubcentric rings

Post by GRNSHRK »

Ladies and Germs,

As promised, I have attached photos of the very nicely manufactured hubcentric rings that I Purchased thru Discount Tire Direct =D>

The quality is so nice that I'm gonna hate having to use them #-o
Attachments
IMG_3177-sm.jpg
IMG_3177-sm.jpg (60.7 KiB) Viewed 25323 times
IMG_3182-sm.jpg
IMG_3182-sm.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 25323 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black