Fitment of M Parallel Wheels

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

The Don

Fitment of M Parallel Wheels

Post by The Don »

Hi guys, I recently bought a set of parallel wheels, but I cant get them to fit on the front. The tires im running are 245/45 18, but they are rubbing the spring, and wont let me get to the hub.

Any input, suggestions? Maybe some real thick ass spacers, because it was a good 2 inch away from the hub.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

What is the offset of the wheels?

The original rims are usually ET20/22. Most find that 235's are the widest tires that fit in the front, but 255/265, are easy to fit to the rear.
The Don

Post by The Don »

I'm not sure. I believe these are replica's.

So do you suggest putting 235's up in the front?
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

If these were made for a 3 series with an offset of ET41 or ET47 they won't fit even with a 235 tire with out big spacers, which really isn't recommended since they are hub-centric.

The offset should be stamped on the back or on one of the spokes of the wheel.

Here is a link with all of the BMW wheels with there specs and the cars they came on.

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/
The Don

Post by The Don »

It says ET 35.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

I forgot to ask, How wide are the rims? The stamping will be something like: 8J18 ET35 or 9J18 ET35 for an 8" or 9" rim
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

ET 35 would be E36/E46 3-series wheels. You could fit these with big (very big!) hubcentric spacers, but some would opt for seeking out the correct 5er/7er wheels instead.

Sorry for the bad news. BTW 235s are about as wide as you can go on the front, normally.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Don

Post by The Don »

Ouch. Thats very sad to hear. How much do hub centric spacers usually go for? Also how far out would my wheels be?
GWL

Post by GWL »

The Don wrote:Ouch. Thats very sad to hear. How much do hub centric spacers usually go for? Also how far out would my wheels be?
It will depend on what the ET is for your wheels now. You would have to get back to the area of ET20, so if your wheels are now ET 35 you would need a high quality 15MM spacer with the hub centric lip of the right size. Some people have had good luck with large spacers and some of us have not. You would also need lug bolts that are 15MM longer for 15MM spacers.
GWL

Post by GWL »

The Don wrote:Ouch. Thats very sad to hear. How much do hub centric spacers usually go for? Also how far out would my wheels be?
It will depend on what the ET is for your wheels now. You would have to get back to the area of ET20, so if your wheels are now ET 35 you would need a high quality 15MM spacer with the hub centric lip of the right size. Some people have had good luck with large spacers and some of us have not. You would also need lug bolts that are 15MM longer for 15MM spacers.
The Don

Post by The Don »

I see. What is so bad with putting spacers on our cars?
GWL

Post by GWL »

The Don wrote:I see. What is so bad with putting spacers on our cars?
Nothing as far as I know. I have had slight quivering on my car when using them. but others have had no problem at all. So many variables are involved that it is impossible to predict how your car will react to spacers. My own theory is that spacers that are thick enough to provide a proper lip for the wheel probably work OK. I tried 5MM spacers that are not thick enough and use what is left of the stock lip. Perhaps in my case the hub centric rings did not engage enough of the hub lip.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Your wheels have such a large offset pushing them to the outside, that I would start to be concerned about them rubbing on the fenders in cornering. Check that out carefully.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

with an 8" front rim with ET15-18 a 235 tyre will work OK.

This would indicate that you need spacers between 17 and 20 mm thickness.

If you stick with the 245 tyre it may be difficult to get it to work; either a clash with the strut or as Chris says with the fender if you go the other way...

I guess you could mock it up with some long bolts and washers as spacers to check clearance (but don't drive it like this!).

BTW if you do fit thick spacers, if the fit of the spacer spigot into the wheel is even slightly sloppy, consider bonding the spacer to the wheel with epoxy resin; you may never get them to hold a good balance otherwise.

hth

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bcadmin

Post by bcadmin »

FWIW,

I just checked my knock-offs. I'm running 235/40x18 with no rub. Not sure what the ET is but 13 or 15 rings a bell.
Brian F

Bimmerless :0(

------ Former Stable -----
E31 840ci
1990 525i
1984 Graphite M635
1985 Polaris M635
1987 L6
1980 633csi
The Don

Post by The Don »

Yea, well my ET is 35. I guess I will go get 235's on the front tomorrow. Than I might think about buying some spacers.

Another idea, should I just flip the wheels, as in polish them, and get them to a better condition, and sell them for much more?

With the money I get, I can just fix more parts on my car.
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

The Don wrote:Another idea, should I just flip the wheels, as in polish them, and get them to a better condition, and sell them for much more?

Excellent idea!!!
bfons

Post by bfons »

The Don wrote:Yea, well my ET is 35. I guess I will go get 235's on the front tomorrow. Than I might think about buying some spacers.

Another idea, should I just flip the wheels, as in polish them, and get them to a better condition, and sell them for much more?

These wheels simply are not built for our Sixers (ET 35). Flip em and buy some parts!
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
The Don

Post by The Don »

Agreed, Thanks everyone.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Parallel spoke wheels

Post by ron »

I run 235/40 on my ET20 wheels and have to use a 5mm hubcentric

spacer.About ?70.00 from H&R.The rears are ET 22 with 265/35 and

no spacers.

Ron.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Chris Wright

Re: Parallel spoke wheels

Post by Chris Wright »

ron wrote:I run 235/40 on my ET20 wheels and have to use a 5mm hubcentric

spacer.About ?70.00 from H&R.The rears are ET 22 with 265/35 and

no spacers.

Ron.
What is the width of the front rim? 8.5", 9"?
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Parallel spoke wheels

Post by ron »

8" front.9" rear.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
SORIANOTRON

Re: Fitment of M Parallel Wheels

Post by SORIANOTRON »

Anyone running 9.5 in front?

Experieces, rubbing issues?