Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Alpina replica's

Post by sharkfan »

Hi,

I'm considering replacing a set of metric 415's with a set of 17 x 8 Alpina's. 8)

Does anyone have an opinion or any stories of the differences between replica and genuine Alpina alloys - I've no experience of them and value any opinions.

Cheres,

Sharkfan. :twisted:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

The major difference, of course, is the damage to your wallet....

Replicas tend to be heavier.

Why have replicas when the genuine ones can still be had from Alpina themselves? Download their current E24 catalogue here

Wheels aren't the only thing Alpina still have in stock.... but don't ask Sytner (supposed to be Alpina's UK agent) to obtain them, 'cos they're not interested in getting anything remotely "old"...
UKDaveJ

BK Alpina reps

Post by UKDaveJ »

Kevin,

I have these on my green 6. Yes they are not exactly light, but then again, 6'ers were never known for their lack of weight anyway.

The reps are fine, look good & other than the cross-spokes (on the Highline) I would only change them for original's, but cannot justify the cost.

Ok, I know that unsprung weight is important in any suspension set-up, but most 6 owners I'm sure (including me) don't use their cars really really hard to consider lightweight wheels as a pure performance upgrade.

Dave 8)
m3cecotto

Post by m3cecotto »

Some of the Alpina replicas are 19 spoke or 21 spoke in order to try to avoid "passing off" claims. They are invariably heavier, though I don't know that that will make much of a difference. It always seems to be the centre caps that give them away. The wheels themselves look OK, but the centre caps just look wrong.

Very little looks better on a big six than a set of 17" cotton reel Alpinas but I love the valveless look of the very late ones where the valve is in the centre inflating and deflating through a hollow spoke.
Last edited by m3cecotto on Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horsetan

Re: BK Alpina reps

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:....most 6 owners I'm sure (including me) don't use their cars really really hard to consider lightweight wheels as a pure performance upgrade.
You can automatically rule James out of this category..... :wink:
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

LOL! :lol:

Dave 8)
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

m3cecotto wrote:Some of the Alpina replicas are 19 spoke or 21 spoke in order to try to avoid "passing off" claims. They are invariably heavier, though I don't know that that will make much of a difference. It always seems to be the centre caps that give them away. The wheels themselves look OK, but the centre caps just look wrong.....
The replicas do not have the correct "dished" effect, either, being very flat-faced...
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

m3cecotto wrote:....the valveless look of the very late ones where the valve is in the centre inflating and deflating through a hollow spoke.
Exquisitely overengineered... :lol: :D
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:
m3cecotto wrote:....the valveless look of the very late ones where the valve is in the centre inflating and deflating through a hollow spoke.
Exquisitely overengineered... :lol: :D
True, true Ivan, but then again, most 'aftermarket' alloys are shite, but the Alpina reps fool those who are not in the 'No' ('know')!!

I've had loads of compliments regarding my alloys & everyone has known fu*k all about the subject in hand!! Those who really know, realise that at times one just has to compromise!

Dave 8)
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:....I've had loads of compliments regarding my alloys & everyone has known fu*k all about the subject in hand!!...
Just goes to show how many know feck all :lol:
m3cecotto

Post by m3cecotto »

horsetan wrote:
UKDaveJ wrote:....I've had loads of compliments regarding my alloys & everyone has known fu*k all about the subject in hand!!...
Just goes to show how many know feck all :lol:
I think Alpina rims have taken on the same sort of character as Rolex watches. Your first assumption on seeing a set is, "Fake". It comes as a pleasant surprise to find a genuine set.
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

The BK wheels are not bad replica's if a little heavy. They are also a damn sight easier to clean then the genuine Alpina's i now have. 16's will give a better ride, but tyres are cheaper on 17's and you are more likely to find a set of rims. If you want Alpina original rims you will have to hunt. Also there are different off sets and you want wheels that fit the E32/E34/E28/E31 and not E36/E46 wheels. E39 rims will fit, but will require hubscentric rings. 10" rears are to wide (Ivan knows this), but 9" rears are fine. I would not recomend going bigger than 255/40/17.

I have genuine 16" Alpina rims and a Replica Rolex :wink:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Sohlman wrote:If you want Alpina original rims you will have to hunt.
...or contact Alpina direct.... or Walloth & Nesch...
....10" rears are to wide (Ivan knows this), but 9" rears are fine....
Yes...thank....you.... *gritted teeth* :twisted:

I have genuine 16" Alpina rims and a Replica Rolex :wink:
James is gradually making his way - expensively - through the entire Alpina parts catalogue... :roll:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

THESE might be suitable, if you don't mind not paying by PayPal.....
UKDaveJ

Just too many inches, when did you last hear that?!!!!

Post by UKDaveJ »

Whats the story regarding 10" rears then Ivan? :wink: :D

Dave 8)
horsetan

Re: Just too many inches, when did you last hear that?!!!!

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:Whats the story regarding 10" rears then Ivan? :wink: :D

Dave 8)
Ah, now....

Last year, one of the Southern Area Coupe Group regulars (with an E34 M5) decided to put his car back on "throwing stars". This meant yer man had a set of 17" Alpinas going spare, 9"-wide front, 10"-wide rear, so Muggins here - who still likes Alpinas - decided to test them. If they fitted, they would have been mine for 400 quid.

It became clear rather quickly that though the fronts would just about fit, the rears were impossible. Apparently 9"-wide is the most you can get away with on a Six without needing spacers.

So the Alpinas went back. :(

Paradoxically, I now have 8"x17" M5 "throwing stars".... New tyres will have to wait because some of the money I would have spent on them has now gone on all new discs, pads, fluid and other service items.
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

Please lets get the Violins out for Ivan :lol:

DAAAAA DEEEE DAAAAAAAA DA DAAA DEEE DAAAAA :D
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Sohlman wrote:Please lets get the Violins out for Ivan :lol:

"FECK OFF" :!:
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

LMFAO, however DND from Moscow seems to have no problems running 10" rears. Maybe he's using spacers?

Dave 8)
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Update:

Despite my best efforts budgetary constraints (TVR service, M6 service, Garden furniture - all welcome for beer tasting if you're passing) are probably giong to limit me to E34 15"'ers for the time being. My only solace is that the roads up here are deteriorating at a far greater rate than my sixer's and the 15's will make for a far smoother ride.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

horsetan wrote:
Sohlman wrote:Please lets get the Violins out for Ivan :lol:

"FECK OFF" :!:
-we are all worried you will end up lookinglike this, as well as sounding like him.......

:lol:

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

You mean he doesn't? :lol: :wink:
josecoy

Post by josecoy »

I have bought these here.They are very well
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/alloybmw.html
jrcalvin

Post by jrcalvin »

Hmmm....stange that the Alpinas were 9" wide and 10" wide instead of the normal e24/e34/e38 Alpinas that are 17x8 1/2" front and 17x9 1/2" rear although they also have 17x10" rear.

17x8 1/2 et12mm, 17x9 1/2" et24mm & 17x10 1/2 et28mm.

I always like the idea of the staggered 17x8 & 17x9 Alpinas for my six. However, the problem with 17x8 & 17x9 genuine Alpinas is that they are only available in an e36, e46 fitment and that is way too much positive offset (46mm) for a six. So you have to go with 17x8.5 & 17x9.5/17x10 Alpina rims.

However, I do have a more rare set of 4 17x8 et19mm Alpinas which are the perfect offset for e28, e24, & e34 cars. So I run these on my e28 M5 and my 1978 e24 euro.

I am sure guys do run the 17x10 et28mm in the rear sans spacers with no problems unlerss the car is markedly lowered. But a 17x9 et46mm (e46) rim would definitely need spacers because of the 46mm positive offset and rubbing on the shocks.

john