Glovebox Flashlight

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BamaE24

Glovebox Flashlight

Post by BamaE24 »

So, a local bimmernut was crazy enough to send me their non-working glovebox flashlight to overhaul into a usable piece of equipment :mrgreen: . I figure I would document the progress here so yall can see what I'm doing if you want to do the same.
Firstly I will start off saying, these things are tiny. Secondly, the plastic isn't the strongest and the older the more brittle. Thirdly, they glue these things together with Gorrila Glue or something cuz it's a job to loosen it without breaking shat :P
The two big problems I see with the flashlights dying are 1)Dead cells and 2)Corrosion.
This flashlight had both. First task is to disassmble the innards and clean them well. I did it in two stages, first a baking soda soak to scrub off the corrosion, then a Simple Green soak to scrub the rest of the corrosion, grime, and degrease.
The insides are simple, you have the +/- 12v leads, a 2.2k ohm resistor on positive battery side for charging, 2x Varta 170DK NiCd batteries in series, a metal switch tab w/ switch, and a bulb with grounding ring. That's it, nothing fancy.
The original plan was to use a li-po pack w/ associated charging circuit and an LED and driver. Unfortunately that won't fit without being risky and presenting some issues.
Currently the plan is to use a 700mah Ni-Mh cell arranged like the original w/ resistor for a C/40 charge rate, connected to a 1 cell LED boost driver, to push a white LED @ apprx 350mah.
I'll get pictures posted when I get the photobucket organized 8)
BamaE24

Re: Glovebox Flashlight

Post by BamaE24 »

This is it when I got it. Took the lens off, it pops right out.

This is the insides, old and covered with corrosion.

This is it after it was disassembled and cleaned. Time to start prepping it to retrofit the new insides.

Planning on fitting a AAA size Ni-mh battery to power an LTC3490 boost driver. That should provide enough juice to run a Nichia 219C LED at 350mah. It'll also give low voltage protection to keep from overdischarging the battery. It'll take a little dremel work but nothing will change externally.
I bet you're wondering about the switch tab, that'll take some tweaking but I've got an idea in mind.
Edit: Not going to use the LTC3490 IC, turning into an easter egg hunt to find the inductor I want, that'll fit inside the light, with no interference, that is cost friendly. So, instead I will be using a Nanjg 102 boost driver since it is already built and easy to get. The downside to it vs the LTC3490 is that the 102 is not constant current like the 3490. It'll have a output drop as the input V drops with cell discharge. The low battery protection isn't active on the 102 like the 3490, it's passive as the driver won't operate above 0.8V.
Last edited by BamaE24 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

A simple slide switch would be a far better option than the OEM switch arrangement.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

baders wrote:A simple slide switch would be a far better option than the OEM switch arrangement.
Definitely better. I'm surprised at the configuration of the switch. It leaves a lot to be desired in terms of durability and function. It cleaned up well and isn't weak, but I fear that it won't make good enough terminal contact for my liking. I'm going to do a little bending and forming and see where that goes. If nothing meets expectation, you can bet I'll be putting in a better switch discreetly :mrgreen:
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

Update: So I fried the first LED driver on a test run. It was the only boost driver I had layin around. Waiting on a few replacements and we'll be back on track w/ the upgrade.
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

The replacement driver(s) have finally shipped. Ordering out of country takes a bit, so we're still in limbo with the flashlight retrofit. In the meantime, I was building a few lights on the side for customers and figured I would share the most recent build. Check it out. This ran the guy $40 and he was way more than satisfied.
The light itself is built in a Convoy S2 body so its right about the size of a dry erase marker. I was testing it in moderate light at night. It managed to cut through my carport light and shine 45yd-ish across the street on the next house. It's making around 550 lumens at the emitter, runs about 1hr15min :mrgreen:
francoid

Post by francoid »

Is that something you'd make more of? ;)
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

francoid wrote:Is that something you'd make more of? ;)
Yea man. I build them whenever people ask about it. Shoot me a pm and I'll tell ya all about 'em.
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

Update; the drivers finally arrived. I am working diligently at retrofitting the glovebox light. I should have some pictures and a list of steps here soon on how the work was done. :mrgreen:

In other news, if anyone is interested in a good built to order flashlight/torch for anything, send me a PM!
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

Ok everyone. So I'm done hiding. Actually, I was on vacation and then super flooded with christmas flashlight orders, on top of picking up another old car to take care of. I haven't had time to work on the coupe, or the glovebox lights that much. Luckily workload has slacked up and I'll be knocking out the lights finally. Some of you have PM'ed me or already sent me a light, I promise I'll have the lights back to you as fast as possible. Anyone interested please e-mail me, its faster than a board PM notification. Right now I would be inclined to send you components and details for the retrofit for cheap, since I am busy; if you don't mind the wait, I can do it but it'll be put in a queue.

On another note everyone, if you want a custom, hand built, to order flashlight for yourself or as a gift, also message me. I have some really good deals going on right now.
Sorry again for being afk! I'll get the lights I got shipped out, and be open for new orders as fast as I can :D
Landsnark

Post by Landsnark »

Looks like Bama has gone missing - no activity in quite a while.

Anyone else have a DIY for rebuilding the flashlight?

Thanks

EDIT: NM, found this: http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E32/Torch/Index.htm
Bryan
-----------------
1987 M6
2009 128i
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Landsnark wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:06 pm Looks like Bama has gone missing - no activity in quite a while.
Yes, and he has one of my BMW flashlights to convert. Plus he burned one of mine up experimenting with the battery and recharge circuit. #-o

Last I heard from him he'd gone into production of LED flashlights (the regular ones, not the BMW glove box ones).

Edit: I texted him. He still has his E24, still building high-powered LED flashlights, but has had to source a different type LED for the BMW flashlights.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Here's the globe replacement you want

and here's the battery replacement you want (ask them for a 2/V250H instead, they do them). The rest is just resoldering/regluing. Job done.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Well it looks like my repaired glove box flash light has failed. Basically the plastic body has disintegrated. Is BamaE24 still around ? (Have PMed him). Are there any other sources of these flash lights ?
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

He lives about 50 miles from me, but I haven't heard from him in a long time. Last time I spoke with him he was custom building extreme duty flashlights for law enforcement. He has a couple of my glovebox lights he was using as testbeds. Melted one, was working on the second.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
tmoretta

Post by tmoretta »

Maximilian Imports (Mobil Tradition) has the flashlight (#82119413147) for $23 plus ship.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

tmoretta wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:59 pm Maximilian Imports (Mobil Tradition) has the flashlight (#82119413147) for $23 plus ship.
Thanks tmoretta, but they want $70.00 to ship a flash light :shock:
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Thought I'd write to Maximilian Imports regarding the excessive shipping and they agreed ! Sadly, if they had any they would send one to me for shipping costs $10 or $15 US. Unfortunately, they don't have any and the listing is one of those items is still valid in the BMW parts system, but is NLA :(
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Well flog me with a soggy lettuce leaf. I managed to pick up a nice working example from Ebay (I hope). \:D/

Also looked into components to make a miniaturised LED driver and it doesn't look impossible to whip something up.
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

I have a perfectly restored white original 1980's vintage one with battery and LED globe upgrades, but sadly I expect that shipping from Australia will be even more insane.
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

for the guys that rebuilt their OEM flash lights, what type of glue did you use?
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
cc_in_cc

Post by cc_in_cc »

I've redone a bunch of them with NiMH and LEDs, and used Cyanoacrylate glue (generic Krazy Glue) to put them back together.
Chris
1989 BMW 635CSi
2009 VW Touareg
1974 Pinzgauer 710K
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Krazy glue or something similar is a very strong bond but if you need to replace the battery in a few years, it will be hard to pry it open without damaging the plastic.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Tommys 89 635 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:29 pm for the guys that rebuilt their OEM flash lights, what type of glue did you use?
Supaglue - sparingly. Don't glue the seam all the way round. Just a couple of 3mm long beads at the lens end either side of the lens and a couple more at the other terminal end is more than enough. Don't go overboard. Less is more. You want to be able to crack it back open again without breaking the plastic shell halves to replace the battery again.