Heater valve

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

jsspagg

Heater valve

Post by jsspagg »

Pretty much trying to replace what I can where I can.... which brings me to the heater valve. I was told that they all pretty much leak and I saw some evidence of a leak stain in my existing heater valve. I happen to have an extra one (pictured) that came out of another car and was not intending on using it. The one pictured appears to be in better condition and I did not see any evidence of leaking when I removed, though no guarantee. I am not able to source a new one so I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to pressure/leak test these valves.

Anyone do this before?
Attachments
Heater Valve.jpg
Heater Valve.jpg (768 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
1980 635 Euro
Under restoration
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Heater valve

Post by Ralph in Socal »

I’ve gravity tested by installing the valve to the heater core and extension pipe then standing the assembly on end and filling with water. The valve would be at the bottom and experiences gravity pressure from the water

An old heater valve that appeared good leaked at the selector shaft seal

Of course you can rig up a couple pieces of hose and a pressure gauge to the two ports and apply about 10 psi to get it under higher pressure

New valves are available on ebay coming from Lithuania. Somewhat of a long lead time though

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

That valve is available from BMW for $145 64111359634 As to What Ralph said, You may also tape a piece of large fuel line to one of the ports, fill the valve with water and block the other port. Than shoot some air through it, pressurize it, and see if any leaks show up
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
jsspagg

Post by jsspagg »

Bert- for the hassle of installing the heater valve due to its imbedded location, I'm down for $145 for a new one. I'd hate to get the leak test wrong and discover it at a later date. I guess I'll visit my local BMW dealer and see if I can order one.
1980 635 Euro
Under restoration
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I went dealer new on mine, not after market, while I had everything apart knowing the old one was good. Cheap insurance policy!!
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

jsspagg wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:22 am Bert- for the hassle of installing the heater valve due to its imbedded location, I'm down for $145 for a new one. I'd hate to get the leak test wrong and discover it at a later date. I guess I'll visit my local BMW dealer and see if I can order one.
Please provide an update. I’m finding NLA through my dealer and several parts suppliers. Pelican claims to have them at nearly $200. Thanks

Ralph

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Walloth and Nesch, in Germany, has them for $135. The part number is 64111360820 which is a BMW number if you cross check it in reaaloem. The picture they show partly shows the label which says made in Germany. They appear to be better quality than the original as they have metal reinforcing clips all around the perimeter. IMO this would be the way to go Their shipping charges are always reasonable and fast delivery
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

That’s a good part number for US retailers and shows several at under $160. Thanks Bert

Ralph

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Welcome
jsspagg

Post by jsspagg »

I just ordered one from ECS Tuning at a cost of $155. Says the part is Genuine BMW made in Germany.
I'm sure I could have searched around and saved a few bucks... but its done and on the way now..
1980 635 Euro
Under restoration