Catalytic Converter

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ron madden

Catalytic Converter

Post by ron madden »

Hello All, My 1985 6er's catalytic converter is on it's way out. BMW wants
$2,188.00 for a new one not installed. To rich for my blood. Magnaflow has a California emmisions correct cat. for $170.00 that is stainless steel and comes with a five year warranty. It a little smaller and louder but flows better than the stock cat.. I have used Magnaflow on my other cars with great results. I would rather use the stock unit but not at that price. Anyone have a good used stock unit or should I use the Magnaflow. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Ron
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Use the Magnaflow. No question about it, unless you have some kind of collectable that warrants the price tag.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
shazbot996

Post by shazbot996 »

Trolling around, just found this post. The clock is ticking on my exhaust, and I've been running way richer than I should have for a while, fearing I've ruined my aging cat. The heat shield on mine already rusted clean off, so I've been thinking of an exhaust refresh.

Curious about what's involved in fitting a nonstandard CAT. O2 sensor and plumbing seems difficult, considering what I've seen on the after-market...
nomorebmws

Post by nomorebmws »

shazbot966 no problem at all using a masterflow catalytic converter, I have them on both of my trucks, pass smog with no problems.

you will get better performance out of the magnaflow, any muffler shop can do the installation easy.
shazbot996

Post by shazbot996 »

Thanks. How do they install the O2 sensor? Do they make cats with the fitting, or do you custom fab the plumbing to accept the sensor?
floydpo

Re: Catalytic Converter

Post by floydpo »

ron madden wrote:Hello All, My 1985 6er's california catalytic converter is on it's way out. BMW wants
$2,188.00 for a new one not installed. To rich for my blood. Magnaflow has a California emmisions correct cat. for $170.00 that is stainless steel and comes with a five year warranty. It a little smaller and louder but flows better than the stock cat.. I have used Magnaflow on my other cars with great results. I would rather use the stock unit but not at that price. Anyone have a good used stock unit or should I use the Magnaflow. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Ron
hi ron are you done with this problem? try on ebay or at racepages its an online store. they both have a better prices for that. :D
Last edited by floydpo on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

What about the Dec units? They are a direct fit, bolt on replacement unit that you can use the standard BMW resonator/muffler.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Oh, Wait ..... Magnaflow makes a direct fit also with the O2 fitting, and they are stainless. You can use the standard BMW resonator/muffler also:

MagnaFlow Direct Fit, Bolt on Cat (23556):
$241: http://www.performancepeddler.com/
$325: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-23556/
viewtopic.php?t=12878&

SoCalE24

DEC cat for 87 M6

Post by SoCalE24 »

What is the part number and price for a CA approved cat for a 87 M6?
naren

Post by naren »

My mechanic told me they won't use aftermarket cats, all their customers who come it with them have problems. They don't last more than 2 yrs max. because they are smaller (maybe just on the inside?) and the BMW exhaust w/big pipes is too much for them.

You would think someone would make an aftermarket cat that works well unless there are patent issues.
shazbot996

Post by shazbot996 »

naren wrote:My mechanic told me they won't use aftermarket cats, all their customers who come it with them have problems. They don't last more than 2 yrs max. because they are smaller (maybe just on the inside?) and the BMW exhaust w/big pipes is too much for them.
At the price difference, I'm perfectly happy to change the cat out every 2 yrs :\