Rocking sport seat

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ron madden

Rocking sport seat

Post by ron madden »

I have a 1985 drivers side sport seat that rocks back and forth as I drive in my 635. Any suggestions on how to fix? If I position the seat all the way down, of course there is no problem. Thanks, Ron
89speedster

Post by 89speedster »

I've got the same problem. Its as though the runners have worn slightly. Certainly they are bolted down to the chassis tightly.
ron madden

Post by ron madden »

I was thinking the frame hinges might be worn creating play.
sinvader635

Post by sinvader635 »

Hi
Like you guys i have play in my back rest, my local garage tried to fix it but failed.

It seems the backrest hinge has a half moon cogged plate thingy that is worn away.
Maybe a few spotwelds to build it out and a file could reshape it.

Has anyone tried this?

My skills stop at upholstery. These seats are a delicate work of art.
The 2nd best ever driving seat bar the 911, some magazines say.
Big6

Post by Big6 »

Same issue here, I posted awhile back and didnt hear much on a fix. In for an update.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Ron's problem sounds like it might be different to the usual backrest problem. The seat base adjuster is fiendishly complicated; it wouldn't take much to get it moving around I expect.

BTW the backrest cog thing has been rebuilt by enterprising folk using MIG weld build-up and grinding, so it can be done. It is a lot of work though. I thought someone had posted pictures of this on this site a while ( a long while, like six years) ago.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hifive

Post by Hifive »

Brucey wrote:Ron's problem sounds like it might be different to the usual backrest problem. The seat base adjuster is fiendishly complicated; it wouldn't take much to get it moving around I expect.
Feindishly complicated is probably understating it!
My seat base cracked at the pivot, so I had to remove everything to weld it.

As far as rocking is concerned, I'd imagine if any of the pivot points for the vertical seat adjuster, the part just above the number 1 in this illustration http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E24/C ... _height-2/ has failed, that would cause the seat to "rock" back and forth.

Mark.
89 Highline auto (now sadly sold)
Porsche 928
73 Triumph Stag V8
sinvader635

Post by sinvader635 »

Thanks for the link. Hifive :D

I can see now what might be my problem. Wear at both end of bar you stated.
Was it difficult to redo seats, ive had the back off mine and it looks a nightmare with cogs, cables and wires everywhere.

Is there a thread some where showing a full seat rebuild ? [-o<

:)
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Hifive wrote:
Brucey wrote:Ron's problem sounds like it might be different to the usual backrest problem. The seat base adjuster is fiendishly complicated; it wouldn't take much to get it moving around I expect.
Feindishly complicated is probably understating it!
My seat base cracked at the pivot, so I had to remove everything to weld it.

As far as rocking is concerned, I'd imagine if any of the pivot points for the vertical seat adjuster, the part just above the number 1 in this illustration http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E24/C ... _height-2/ has failed, that would cause the seat to "rock" back and forth.

Mark.
-good work there fella!

-I hope I never have to do this job......

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Big6

Post by Big6 »

Just in case someone else is searching for a fix/tips on this.

viewtopic.php?t=17551&highlight=