Rear Sun Screen Repair for 6 Series?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Max Funderburk

Post by Max Funderburk »

Anyone have a fix for broken loop tabs on each end of the rear pull-up sun screen? Hooks in roof are just fine, it's the 2 plastic tabs on the screen rod that bit the dust. Both at the same time....UV finally got to them. Info much appreciated since they don't make them anymore. Thanks, Max
maxnt-coupe crazy
'88 635 CSi
Londonderry, NH
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ping Ed Raether (Mwrench)

Post by GRNSHRK »

Ed used to make these cool replacement hooks, but no idea if he's still making and selling them :-k

http://www.mwrench.com/download/sunshadefix.pdf

Got them in my 6er :lol:

:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
winfred

Post by winfred »

piece of steel wire looped around the dowel with a U sticking out with loop on either side of the U, kick the cross part of the U out a little so it looks like like a L from the side so it sticks up a little and able to reach into the pocket where the post is. takes a few minutes and should last forever

been holding mine for months with high speed windows down buffeting
3/81 633 m30b35 & getrag 260/6, motronic 1.3 -sold

86 635 with nearly all goodies from rotted away 85 m635 including the m88/3, tuning in progress on motronic 3.3.1
Max Funderburk

Post by Max Funderburk »

Dear Grnshrk,

Thanks for Ed's link...not only does he still make them but you can get 2 of them free if you order the Steering Box Retrofit Kit from him....What a cool way to ensure the bracket does not fail one day.....with the fix, I don't see how it could ever break !!!

Shade is like new! Fantastic and thanks again for the lead !!

Maxnt
maxnt-coupe crazy
'88 635 CSi
Londonderry, NH
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sounds great Max :)

Post by GRNSHRK »

Yeah, Ed is a total standup kinda guy, my only fear is that he is slowly getting out of this stuff and into "true" retirement :-?

Think I'll start working on him to see if we can carry on the torch of his great designs :-k

Surely somebody's got a machine shop out there that can tool up for the benefit of the forum :lol:

Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
slofut

Post by slofut »

My ghetto fix for the sunshade tabs, this is the 88, I've also had them on my 87 for years...

markh

Post by markh »

Slofut - I like that. Clever! You know you can remove the one lever that's pressing against the shade by simply squeezing the lever together toward the center. It will then release from the clamp. Might be a cleaner look. I think I'll try that today. Also, search on "colored binder clips" and you'll find some colored ones closer to the color of your shade.
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
slofut

Post by slofut »

markh wrote:Slofut - I like that. Clever! You know you can remove the one lever that's pressing against the shade by simply squeezing the lever together toward the center. It will then release from the clamp. Might be a cleaner look. I think I'll try that today. Also, search on "colored binder clips" and you'll find some colored ones closer to the color of your shade.
Hey thanks for the tips, I never knew the levers would come out! And color matched! Oh yea ...
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

slofut wrote:My ghetto fix for the sunshade tabs, this is the 88, I've also had them on my 87 for years...

Looks like something I would do, so I like it!
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Much better than the typical wire ties that we used at my house!
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

slofut wrote:My ghetto fix for the sunshade tabs, this is the 88, I've also had them on my 87 for years...

That's brilliant! =D>
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
slofut

Post by slofut »

Thanks guys, necessity is the mother you know.
Had one of these clips on my desk one day after the hooks on my 87 broke :idea: make sure to get the larger ones that fit. The small ones are too stressed and won't stay on. These have not come off my 87 in several years.
Bill
Super Coop

Post by Super Coop »

My problem, I got the shade side fixed the thread worked great thanks. Now my roof clips broke, to old and to hot I guess. Anyone know if they still make the roof clips or where I can get a couple?

Thanks,
SprCpe

1989 635csi # 3268410

Ostatecznym maszyny jazdy BMW
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Super Coop wrote: Anyone know if they still make the roof clips or where I can get a couple?

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E24/C ... sun_blind/
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
slofut

Post by slofut »

Super Coop wrote:My problem, I got the shade side fixed the thread worked great thanks. Now my roof clips broke, to old and to hot I guess.
Thanks,

That's what I've bee waiting for. That sucks... I doubt they make new ones. Time for another ghetto fix.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

slofut wrote:
Super Coop wrote:My problem, I got the shade side fixed the thread worked great thanks. Now my roof clips broke, to old and to hot I guess.
Thanks,

That's what I've bee waiting for. That sucks... I doubt they make new ones. Time for another ghetto fix.
What is wrong with Anthracite ones (#3 in the above link). It shows that they are still available.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
slofut

Post by slofut »

ron wrote:
slofut wrote:
Thanks,

What is wrong with Anthracite ones (#3 in the above link). It shows that they are still available.
Anthracite would be fine with me, not sure how I missed that. So, just call a dealer and order them?