US source for upholstery?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Shuttleman

US source for upholstery?

Post by Shuttleman »

Looking for a source in the US for kit to redo my front seats. Suggestions/experience?
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

GAHH

Post by GRNSHRK »

Try these guys [-o<

http://www.gahh.com/store.php?cPath=27_28_104

Well known as good products, but with a price :-k

:mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

GAHH is the sound you make when you see the price! :shock: This is for KITS, as in not installed? Holy cow, pun intended.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Shuttleman

Upholstery

Post by Shuttleman »

"HOLY cow!" is right!
Chris Wright

Re: US source for upholstery?

Post by Chris Wright »

Shuttleman wrote:Looking for a source in the US for kit to redo my front seats. Suggestions/experience?
Here is another source: World Upholstery, no experience with them and they don't list the prices for the seats any more (but at least it includes the headrest). They have seat pads, head liners and carpets also. Give them an email an tell us what they say?

http://worlduph.com/bmw/6_series/e24/
slofut

Post by slofut »

I wish someone like these people could make them at a good price!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Mini-Cooper ... 55&vxp=mtr
slofut

Post by slofut »

Shuttleman

World Upholstery

Post by Shuttleman »

Their quote was $1580. Includes seat backs and headrests.
Hefeweizen

Re: World Upholstery

Post by Hefeweizen »

Shuttleman wrote:Their quote was $1580. Includes seat backs and headrests.
Who's?
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
Shuttleman

World Upholstery

Post by Shuttleman »

World Upholstery
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

kevin Chin of Creative Options. You can google him . He will sell as a kit or do the install. Work is excellent
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

bpoliakoff wrote:kevin Chin of Creative Options. You can google him . He will sell as a kit or do the install. Work is excellent
Only problem is over the net his communication stinks and he failed to mention a lead time or respond at all for that matter, it took him 6 weeks! When I asked about lead times and turn around, he said that he had 12 orders in line already and "probably best you order from somewhere else"
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

tschultz wrote:
bpoliakoff wrote:kevin Chin of Creative Options. You can google him . He will sell as a kit or do the install. Work is excellent
Only problem is over the net his communication stinks and he failed to mention a lead time or respond at all for that matter, it took him 6 weeks! When I asked about lead times and turn around, he said that he had 12 orders in line already and "probably best you order from somewhere else"
Yes, that, and his website sucks. Most of it is "coming soon", and the material pages show generic landscape and nature shots having zero to do with upholstery. The site looks like it has great potential. I'd be a lot more impressed if he had a simple but complete website listing products and prices.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Shuttleman

upholstery kits...?

Post by Shuttleman »

Anybody have experience finding leather front seat kits for less than $ 1500?
slofut

Re: upholstery kits...?

Post by slofut »

Shuttleman wrote:Anybody have experience finding leather front seat kits for less than $ 1500?

If someone could supply/donate a used set of e24 covers for patterns to these people:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Mini-Cooper ... 3cd81338a0

I wonder if they would entertain the idea of making and supplying them at their much lower prices? I had a similar offer from another supplier on ebay regarding covers for my jag XJC, they're fairly rare, but then the supplier (international) disappeared. The above guys are in Fla.

We could get together a group buy etc...?
Bill
Mr_Squishy

Post by Mr_Squishy »

I have spoken to one of the sellers on ebay, zoomzoomzoom-ing.
I think I found him through someone on MyE28 that was saying he had supplied some E12 covers to folks on firstfives. I think I am going to try him. He will do leather seat kits for E24's including the manual Recaros.

The prices are very good. I am trying to decide whether to do just the front seats or just go for all new leather so the match is perfect.

John
86 E24 - 635CSi Manual White over Llama
88 E28 - 535is Manual White over Cardinal
Shuttleman

Post by Shuttleman »

Headrests and seatbacks too???
Mr_Squishy

Post by Mr_Squishy »

I was pretty sure headrests were included. I guess I need to ask. Maybe if the headrests were sent out with order they could be covered while the kit is sewn?

The manual Recaro does not have a separate back piece to cover. The seating surface and back are sewn together.

I notice on his E28 kit that the back is not included.

I'd ask him if you have interest. He was responsive and struck me as a good guy. I have not purchased anything yet - but I plan to in the next couple of weeks.

John
86 E24 - 635CSi Manual White over Llama
88 E28 - 535is Manual White over Cardinal
Shuttleman

Post by Shuttleman »

I had some contact with them earlier this week. Looking for someone who has seen their work.
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

I went with World Upholstery a few years ago and it was 1500 for both front seats, I was a bit surprised it was so expensive but you are getting leather. It's complete with back and head rests.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I have tried sourcing some leather that matches the grain and color for my M6. I have a GREAT supplier local and their options were just not close enough. Even they said GAHH was the best option to exactly match what you have in your car from the factory. A full skin runs you about $750. I was told I would probably need 3-4 full skins to recover my dash, complete front seats sides and seat backs.

It's $1468 for a complete front seat kit from GAHH. That pricing seems in the right ballpark for something ready to mount. That is supposing your foam and frame are all in good shape.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
LandShark

bottom cushion foam

Post by LandShark »

Seat bottom foam aus an early 2000's 7-series was a pretty good fit under the skin/frame. I had to trim it a bit and layer up a few areas with cotton fabric. otherwise it was a sweet junkyard find. its good to be in germany with so many junked bimmers. not so simple for the seat back though
Karmann, German for extra rusty.
CASixer

Post by CASixer »

Just get a quote from your local upholsterer. I got a quote of $1600 for all new leather front and rear with headrests and center armrest, installed.
Then i found a complete red leather interior on Ebay.
1982 633csi. 5 speed, Safaribeige/Red
slofut

Post by slofut »

CASixer wrote:Just get a quote from your local upholsterer. I got a quote of $1600 for all new leather front and rear with headrests and center armrest, installed.
Then i found a complete red leather interior on Ebay.
My local upholsterer doesn't know how to do real pleats. Just chalks a line and sews down it... #-o
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville